• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

So a lot of people are bringing up the MLBPA not allowing that, but can the MLBPA really do anything? I can see why they'd be upset, but it's not against the rules. Until it's written in the rules, isn't is a loophole that can be exploited?

A player with a NTC would still need to approve the trade. 

2 hours ago, Trendon said:

So a lot of people are bringing up the MLBPA not allowing that, but can the MLBPA really do anything? I can see why they'd be upset, but it's not against the rules. Until it's written in the rules, isn't is a loophole that can be exploited?

It's not just the MLBPA, Major League Baseball themselves would likely nix that too. Anything that is clearly trying to circumvent the spirit of the rules, is usually shot down before even lifting off the ground.

6 hours ago, Trendon said:

4 hours ago, Lou said:

Clauses in contracts aren't nullified when a player is put on waivers. 

that's my understanding.  any assignment of a contract has to be approved by the player if they have an NTC or 10 and 5 rights.  So even if another team claims him, he'd still have to approve.  

sections A and F starting on page 84

https://d39ba378-ae47-4003-86d3-147e4fa6e51b.filesusr.com/ugd/b0a4c2_95883690627349e0a5203f61b93715b5.pdf

Upton ain’t going anywhere. 
Having him on the roster as a part time player is probably okay I guess. Although his contract sucks.

The issue is compounded by the fact that we also have Pujols and Ohtani. 3 guys that are essentially DH only. That’s 12% of the 25 man roster that is extremely limited.

Based on that, Minasian has his hands full if he actually is going to commit to run prevention defensively. It’s not going to happen with Upton in left full time 

9 hours ago, Dochalo said:

that's my understanding.  any assignment of a contract has to be approved by the player if they have an NTC or 10 and 5 rights.  So even if another team claims him, he'd still have to approve.  

sections A and F starting on page 84

https://d39ba378-ae47-4003-86d3-147e4fa6e51b.filesusr.com/ugd/b0a4c2_95883690627349e0a5203f61b93715b5.pdf

If that's the case, then my bad.

That would explain why it's never done.

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

How much is it expected to take to sign Sugano or Arihara?

This guy says 5/50 for Sugano with a 9 million dollar posting fee....I would consider that before I'd pay Bauer over 100 million.

https://theathletic.com/2247353/2020/12/10/mlb-free-agents-top-10-fits/?article_source=search&search_query=sogano

9 minutes ago, Lou said:

Yeah, Tampa would love to take on Upton's contract.

Rosenthal is an idiot. 

Yeah, makes no sense.  The only way Upton is moved is if we essentially reprise the Will Wilson deal with the Giants, except we'd still have to eat probably 2/3 of Upton's remaining contract, in addition to sending a prospect of some kind.  But that's not a deal we would do with TB, it would be with a team like the Giants, who have payroll space and are likely looking to build their prospect pipeline.

On 12/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, Trendon said:

The Angels don't need him to waive his no trade clause.

Here's why: Say the Angels wanted to trade Justin Upton and Prospect X to Team Y for a PTBNL/Cash Considerations. The Angels could agree with Team Y that we will trade you Prospect X if you take on Justin Upton in exchange for a PTBNL/Cash Considerations.

If Upton declines to waive his no-trade clause, you work the agreement with Team Y so that they agree to claim Upton on waivers when you put him on waivers. You then put him on waivers, the team picks him up, and the deal is done.

Now you could say “what if Team Y doesn’t pick Upton up on waivers like they agreed to?” Well, they could work out the deal so that Team Y gets a PTBNL/Cash Considerations and that PTBNL/Cash Considerations is only Prospect X IF team Y claims Upton. Otherwise it’s just cash considerations (or $1).

Players with no-trade clauses can be put on waivers, and this is thus a workaround for any no-trade clause.

tell me if this has ever happened in the history of modern FA.

why would team Y pay a guy 51 million dollars when he's on waivers? all they have to do is let him clear waivers and they can pay him massively significantly less, and keep their own prospects. what's the upside for them? there is none.

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

He struggled (and that’s being generous) the first month like a lot of guys did with the whole restart. 

September Justin Upton was good...

Batting Average .284

OBP .368

OPS .936

this gets pointed out constantly, but it never makes a dent.