• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/2021-top-50-free-agents/

Fangraphs posted their contract crowd-sourcing post.  Bauer is projected to get somewhere around 3-4 years at ~22-25mil AAV.  If we can sign Bauer for 4/100, that'd be a steal, IMO, and a huge, huge boon for our rotation.

Gausman is projected at 2-3 years at 12-14mil AAV.  If we can somehow (unlikely) sign both, our rotation is suddenly very legitimate.

To start the year:  Bauer, Bundy, Gausman, Heaney, Barria, Ohtani.  Canning can be optioned to start the year as needed to create space.  Suarez and Sandoval can be depth pieces.  Sandoval, in fact, can be converted to a multi-inning shutdown lefty reliever, which would be a huge addition to our pen.

Most teams need 8-9 SPs to get through a regular season, and with those moves, we'd be well-positioned to do so.

41 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Bauer at 22 mil will be ideal and if it's only for 3-4 year. 

Hendriks for 3 at 10 mil is a steal, and i think they maybe his market.

Or Hand

and Richards

I would happily take Bauer and Hand, and a "flyer" type SP option.

Even without Gausman, having Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Ohtani should be a nice rotation.  Signing a "flyer" type SP, who can serve as a backend SP and absorb some innings, should help too.

Hand would be fantastic for us.  He's still a closer and would come with just a 1/10 commitment.  Bonus that he's a LHRP, which we don't have much of in terms of the way of talent.  A backend bullpen of Hand, Mayers, and Pena, with potentially Andriese, Buttrey, Bedrosian, etc having some nice potential, could actually make for a pretty legit pen.

There are a number of ways to make this team a legit contender, but it likely does require us to go all-in and get Bauer.  At 4/100, that's a steal considering what other FA SPs have gotten recently.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Fangraphs posted their contract crowd-sourcing post.  Bauer is projected to get somewhere around 3-4 years at ~22-25mil AAV.  If we can sign Bauer for 4/100, that'd be a steal, IMO, and a huge, huge boon for our rotation.

Gausman is projected at 2-3 years at 12-14mil AAV.  If we can somehow (unlikely) sign both, our rotation is suddenly very legitimate.

To start the year:  Bauer, Bundy, Gausman, Heaney, Barria, Ohtani.  Canning can be optioned to start the year as needed to create space.  Suarez and Sandoval can be depth pieces.  Sandoval, in fact, can be converted to a multi-inning shutdown lefty reliever, which would be a huge addition to our pen.

Most teams need 8-9 SPs to get through a regular season, and with those moves, we'd be well-positioned to do so.

I'd prefer Bauer and Stroman but I like your thinking. 

On 10/28/2020 at 4:40 PM, Chuckster70 said:

Wong for 2B and Eaton (RF) are available. I think the Angels should add these two. 

Thoughts?

Though I'm not a fan of Eaton I think it's important that they add two guys like this, whatever the names end up being. Im a little bullish on Robbie Grossman having turned a corner. I want to see someone who has shown very recent and very real success at the MLB level.

On 10/29/2020 at 10:40 AM, Inside Pitch said:

IF any of the teams below us with any semblance of an above average budget (like Boston), don't pick him up then it's a pretty clear we are in for a really weird offseason.  I really hope the Angels see the obvious value and if he is there when they can claim him, actually do.

We don't have anyone to push the button. Arte doesn't even know how to work the MLB computer in Eppler's old office.

6 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

Old reliable is still around.   Bill Stoneman is pretty much that guy for the time being.

You expect Old Bill to figure out how to operate Billy’s *new* four year old computer?

In all seriousness there is 0 chance we put in a claim, or make any moves before hiring the new GM. It will be interesting to see how they handle the non-tenders.

3 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

You expect Old Bill to figure out how to operate Billy’s *new* four year old computer?

In all seriousness there is 0 chance we put in a claim, or make any moves before hiring the new GM. It will be interesting to see how they handle the non-tenders.

Normally I'd agree, but if you're going to publicly make the stink the Angels did about winning, and using that as the premise to fire Eppler, if they sit back and let an opportunity like this pass then I guess winning isn't all that important.   This is one of those talk is cheap moments IMO.

That said, I think my biggest "concern" may be that given how many guys are being dropped, teams may all decide to sit back and wait for the market to set itself and the Angels will pass.   But as far as Old Bill Stoneman goes, I'd argue that as a finance guy who was way ahead of the game when it came to spending money efficiently Stoney was prolly working on PCs before most of baseball was..

Let's not forget that while Stoneman was the GM, the bullpen was a constant priority.  

56 minutes ago, mymerlincat said:

Another good option for us

I don't think he should be considered an option at all. 

His fastball is gone, he's lost 2 mph the last two years and his k/9 was barely over 6.0 in an era where the league average is at or near an all time high.  Maybe worst of all, he actually pitched to his ERA despite both central divisions having the worst offenses in MLB. 

Seriously, he's end stage Jered Weaver.

Lester is a pass, thank you. 

Hoping Arte is pissed the Dodgers won it all and willing to open the books (not saying hasn't) knowing that Pujols is coming off next year. I think we'll be players for Bauer, but so will the skanks. Hopefully he doesn't want to go there. Can't see him wanting to go to Boston (cheating). 

San Diego could be a surprise team. They're on the verge. What others teams are out there that could snag him?

6 hours ago, Angels_Make_Me_Drink said:

Lester is a pass, thank you. 

Hoping Arte is pissed the Dodgers won it all and willing to open the books (not saying hasn't) knowing that Pujols is coming off next year. I think we'll be players for Bauer, but so will the skanks. Hopefully he doesn't want to go there. Can't see him wanting to go to Boston (cheating). 

San Diego could be a surprise team. They're on the verge. What others teams are out there that could snag him?

Braves

On 10/30/2020 at 11:12 AM, Warfarin said:

Some of those numbers seem rather low, including Bauer.

Bauer and Gausman would be awesome, though. I'd be very happy with Stroman and Gausman.

Not sure why'd start Barria over Canning. Options?

On 10/28/2020 at 4:14 AM, JustATroutFan said:

If Bauer pitches like he did in 2018 or 2020, he'll be a great addition to the Angels. If he doesn't pitch like he did in any of those two seasons, he'll be overpaid. The guy reminds me of Ervin Santana. Santana had a few good years as a pitcher but he was all over the place. Had many okay/bad seasons on the mound mixed in with those good seasons. 

Bauer is way better than Santana. He’s in his prime now, but he’ll always be a competitive guy. 

One could argue that Santana is on the Angels top 10 starting pitchers list, though. 

33 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

Some of those numbers seem rather low, including Bauer.

Bauer and Gausman would be awesome, though. I'd be very happy with Stroman and Gausman.

Not sure why'd start Barria over Canning. Options?

Yeah, exactly - options.  Barria can't be optioned anymore, whereas Canning can.

Most likely, someone will be injured in ST, and it'll be moot, as both would start.  But if somehow everyone is healthy, then they can just option Canning to start the year.  Regardless, I'd expect both to make a ton of starts, even if Canning has to spend a little bit of time in AAA.