• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

10 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Perhaps they're thinking of slotting Schwarber at 1B in a platoon role with Pujols, and sliding Jared Walsh out to RF?

As Doc pointed out in another thread, Schwarber has never played 1B in the majors. Doesn't mean he couldn't, but he'd have to learn. It makes more sense for him to platoon at DH/LF, with Upton in RF.

13 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

As Doc pointed out in another thread, Schwarber has never played 1B in the majors. Doesn't mean he couldn't, but he'd have to learn. It makes more sense for him to platoon at DH/LF, with Upton in RF.

If the report is true, which I have my doubts that some vaguely known radio host had more inside information than anyone else in the industry, but IF it were true, it would mean that Minasian's quotes about run prevention had nothing to do with defense and everything to do with pitching, which I highly doubt.

Jairo Castillo, a scout for the Dodgers in the Dominican Republic, died Sunday due to complications from COVID-19, the organization confirmed in a statement to The Times. He was 31.

Castillo was an international crosschecker for the Dodgers based in his home country. He previously worked as a scout for the Toronto Blue Jays and Milwaukee Brewers.

18 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

aye carumba.  that would be some really bad OF defense.  Trout better stay in shape.  

4 minutes ago, Second Base said:

If the report is true, which I have my doubts that some vaguely known radio host had more inside information than anyone else in the industry, but IF it were true, it would mean that Minasian's quotes about run prevention had nothing to do with defense and everything to do with pitching, which I highly doubt.

as I've mentioned before, I think we're gonna be connected to almost every FA or trade at some point.  

6 minutes ago, Second Base said:

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

aye carumba.  that would be some really bad OF defense.  Trout better stay in shape.  

Yup. And Trout is no Gary Pettis.

11 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I know I will be disappointed but I want both Snell and Bauer.

The Angels absolutely could do this if they wanted to.

Suddenly the Angel rotation would be their greatest strength.  Wouldn’t that be nice to spend a couple of seasons with that feeling?

This is what I've been saying all along. Sign Bauer and then swap a trade for someone like Gray/Snell/Marquez. Snell/Marquez would cost much more, but even Marquez has incredible splits when not pitching in Colorado. 

Agree on the greatest strength as well. Also, thinking about it, that would be a bold statement cuz our offense is lethal as is. 

I think Snell or Marquez would cost three of our top five prospects or two and two more in our top ten, plus some guys that have graduated. 

Both have reasonable contracts and are young. Arguably, because of the dollars owed, Marquez is worth a lot more than Snell. Like MLB trade values is nearly twice as high on Marquez (91 value) than Snell.

But you’re likely looking at a package of Adell or Marsh, Detmers, Jackson or Paris, and Thaiss and Barria or Sandoval.

19 minutes ago, Hubs said:

Both have reasonable contracts and are young. Arguably, because of the dollars owed, Marquez is worth a lot more than Snell. Like MLB trade values is nearly twice as high on Marquez (91 value) than Snell.

Yep. And just to add on to that for fun, here's a comparison of Snell and Marquez with our best prospects listed according to MLB Trade Values. (Disclaimer: Obviously this is just their estimate, but it's probably more accurate than the average AW armchair GM.)

A919C009-B959-4639-8C51-DBA633BF7CB2.thumb.png.9dfaa5eaceffe6b47cf4e6f32a68bf41.png

If this is accurate, Adell by himself *might* be enough to get Snell (I doubt that is true), but it shouldn't take a huge amount more, in theory. Marquez might be beyond our ability to trade for unless the sim is significantly inflating his value. Certainly it would depend on how Colorado values our prospects.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Do you disagree?

The Angel have enough money to sign Bauer and they have enough prospect capital to trade for Snell.

Tell me how I am wrong. 

It takes 2 to tango. 

The Angels could be outbid. Some team could offer a better package. “Wanting to do these deals” is no guarantee.

It’s like saying  teams win games because they “wanted it more” than the other team. It’s just not true.

1 minute ago, T.G. said:

It takes 2 to tango. 

The Angels could be outbid. Some team could offer a better package. “Wanting to do these deals” is no guarantee.

It’s like saying  teams win games because they “wanted it more” than the other team. It’s just not true.

We are making different arguments.  I will be more careful with my words.  I believe the Angels should want to, and attempt to, land both.  One will require money and the other will require minor league talent, so one would not preclude the other.

Better?

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

We are making different arguments.  I will be more careful with my words.  I believe the Angels should want to, and attempt to, land both.  One will require money and the other will require minor league talent, so one would not preclude the other.

Better?

Ok

Look, I would love for this to happen. 

2 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think Snell or Marquez would cost three of our top five prospects or two and two more in our top ten, plus some guys that have graduated. 

But you’re likely looking at a package of Adell or Marsh, Detmers, Jackson or Paris, and Thaiss and Barria or Sandoval.

Yeah, and we just got a All Star Closer for our 11/12th best pitcher and a minor leaguer...

1 minute ago, SlappyUtilityMIF said:

Yeah, and we just got a All Star Closer for our 11/12th best pitcher and a minor leaguer...

Iglesias BTV Score was actually -0.8 and Ramirez was at 0.7. If they included some cash it balances out. Since we added a player probably worth a tiny bit, they probably sent $2 M in cash.

A deal for Snell likely includes Marsh, while a deal for Marquez like includes Adell, and a deal for Gray likely includes Adams as the centerpiece. 

Gray’s value is in the 30’s, Snell is in the 50’s and Marquez is in the 90’s. 

6 minutes ago, T.G. said:

You know this, how?

Based on Values. It’s not gonna be a one for one. Marquez will cost the most based on age and control hence the higher value. You could try to build a deal around Marsh but I think the only way that happens is if the Angels took on some other bad salaries or included a lot of other surplus talent. Deals are not usually 6 for 1. 

Gray almost matches up 1 for 1 with Marsh and Snell matches up 1 for 1 with Adell. It’s more likely these pitchers would want a few players not just one.