• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he's a poor defender so I doubt he was ever on Minasian's radar.  

That's weird, I'm always seeing him make highlight reel catches and great throws. Defensive stats be damned! 

46 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I've wondered about this as well.

That would be such a typical Arte Moreno move- spend money on a position player instead of a pitcher. Yes, he is a good hitter, but it's obvious that the Angels need pitching first and foremost.

It only comes down to the internal analysis on Stassi.  If Minasian sees Stassi as a strong defender (which I believe he is), then there is no need to pursue someone like Realmuto.

Beyond that, even if Stassi isn't deemed the solution, the only way I'd imagine we'd pursue Realmuto is if we use Adell in a trade to secure a top-of-the-rotation SP who is fairly cost controlled, like Marquez or Pleasac.  Basically, I don't see Realmuto as an option, unless his market turns out to be way less than he thought.

3 hours ago, Dtwncbad said:

Hey I am baffled by the profile pictures of people like Jon Heyman wearing a mask.
Why on earth would someone put up a photo with a mask on?  Do they think they can sneeze through my iPhone screen and infect me?

Or is it as simple as people being interested in branding themselves as “look at me, I care”. . .

So then are we to assume Ken Rosenthal (no mask in his profile photo) doesn’t care and is reckless?

What a stupid, stupid game.

Fuck these are weird times.

Maybe Heyman should wear a gag in his photo instead of a mask to more accurately brand himself as someone who shouldn’t be talking at all since he has a record of blathering inaccurate nonsense.

It's called virtue signaling. And Jon Heyman has been outed multiple times in multiple off-seasons by multiple clubs for flat out lying and spreading misinformation during hot stove season. 

He doesn't have insider information any more than the random blogger. Heyman just gets paid to pretend. That's about it.

On the national scene, the two most reliable are probably Jeff Passan and Ken Rosenthal. Other than that, beat writers typically get information quickly, with the exception of our own. Under Eppler and now Minasian, things are locked down pretty tight.

Edited by Second Base

16 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Maybe stats are important.....Remember this contract?

Gary+Matthews+Jr+spectacular+leaping+cat

Ha, well to be fair that was ONE PLAY. 

Eaton has been a good defender and was a gold glove finalist in 2016 but he was very bad in 2020. I think that an injury may have contributed to that, but I digress. He's no longer available. 

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's called virtue signaling. And Jon Heyman has been outed multiple times in multiple off-seasons by multiple clubs for flat out lying and spreading misinformation during hot stove season. 

He doesn't have insider information any more than the random blogger. Heyman just gets paid to pretend. That's about it.

On the national scene, the two most reliable are probably Jeff Passan and Ken Rosenthal. Other than that, beat writers typically get information quickly, with the exception of our own. Under Eppler and now Minasian, things are locked down pretty tight.

He is known to spread  rumors to help Boras Clients.

2 hours ago, Second Base said:

I personally think the local team should go out of their way to make sure the local beat writer consistently gets the scoop first.  It just seems like common courtesy and respect.  It appears that the Angels don't really subscribe to this, and it is a little rude.

5 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

I personally think the local team should go out of their way to make sure the local beat writer consistently gets the scoop first.  It just seems like common courtesy and respect.  It appears that the Angels don't really subscribe to this, and it is a little rude.

Except it's often agents and people close to players that give scoops to the national reporters.  Those people have much more of a relationship with the national media than team media.

The Angels, Yankees and Blue Jays are three teams that have interest in Schwarber, sources said. Current Angels and former Cubs manager Joe Maddon is known to have a great affinity for Schwarber

https://www.radio.com/670thescore/sports/chicago-white-sox/kyle-schwarber-fit-white-sox-could-be-tricky-puzzle-free-agency

If true this is.... interesting

Edited by rafibomb

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I like Schwarber.  I get that he doesnt appear to be a perfect fit given some other bodies on the roster, but gotta assume they would have a plan to resolve that.

10 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I like Schwarber, but man he’s a tough fit on this roster. 

he'd have to spend a fair amount of time in RF and he's a subpar defender in LF.  So there's that.  

I think I'd be ok with him out there if it meant moving one or more of our OF prospects for a front line starter.  

He's really a platoon guy at this point relative to his splits but the 123 wRC+ vs. RHers is pretty sexy.  

His 2020 seems like the outlier with a very low BABIP and a depressed launch angle which likely can be fixed.  

I'd have to think he'd still cost about 8m per for probably 2 years.  Something in the form of what Santana just got.