• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

The Toronto Blue Jays continued their push to join the top tier of contenders in the American League today. The Jays reached an agreement to sign free agent shortstop Marcus Semien to a one-year, $18MM deal. In Semien, GM Ross Atkins lands a high-ceiling bat for 2021 and takes another significant piece off the board.

A's owners don't care about winning the World Series.

2 hours ago, beatlesrule said:

Something got lost over posting. I guess I wasn't clear. The A's ownership has proven to be more successful than the Angels by doing all the things already pointed out and spending way less money. How is that me being a hypocrite? What is wrong with me stating facts? I don't know which owners are richer than other owners. The A's owners have more money than Arte? Okay. It sucks they don't put more money into their team for A's fans. Both owners are bad at winning a World Series. Arte just spends more money failing. They both don't know how to win a World Series. I don't know what the hell putting skin in the game means and I don't know how my post got misunderstood. I'm just pointing out facts. The A's play in a terrible stadium and barely have any fans and play in Oakland. Their ownership doesn't spend nearly as much money as they should and will only work within their budget and never go all in or spend over a certain amount and they trade any players before they cost a lot. See facts. What is wrong with that?

But you don't care about any of those things. You only care about winning the World Series.

Looking at MLB trade rumors top 50 free agent article with predictions, it looks like 7 of the top 20 are still up for grabs.  Guys like Bauer, Ozuna, Cruz, Odorizzi, Joc Pederson and Didi are still available.  Before yesterday it was half of the top 20.  They also had Quintana in the top 20, and this list was before guys like Stroman and Gausman took the QO.  

23 minutes ago, Stradling said:

browsing through this was a helpful reminder of how weak this FA class is.  

scrolling down and didn't really think 'damn, missed on that guy'  although there were a couple of relievers I wouldn't have minded signing.  

I'm wondering if you sign Paxton and then try to convince an Archer type to join up as someone with and outside shot at the rotation yet see if he'd be willing to pitch out of the pen.  

Also, I'd be kicking tires on a 1yr deal for Ozuna.  He probably gets a multi year deal from someone but who knows.  

34 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Interesting to note that their predictions for contracts have been pretty accurate. They did overvalue Kim and under value Hendricks quite a bit.

If they undervalued Bauer (128) the same rate  as Hendricks, Bauer's contract would still only be estimated at 187. 

Just now, Dochalo said:

scrolling down and didn't really think 'damn, missed on that guy'  although there were a couple of relievers I wouldn't have minded signing.  

I'm wondering if you sign Paxton and then try to convince an Archer type to join up as someone with and outside shot at the rotation yet see if he'd be willing to pitch out of the pen.  

Also, I'd be kicking tires on a 1yr deal for Ozuna.  He probably gets a multi year deal from someone but who knows.  

I imagine Ozuna wants a NL DH announcement 

2 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

Interesting to note that their predictions for contracts have been pretty accurate. They did overvalue Kim and under value Hendricks quite a bit.

If they undervalued Bauer (128) the same rate  as Hendricks, Bauer's contract would still only be estimated at 187. 

In the past they were even more accurate.  

I'm sure someone has already pointed this, but I wonder if the Angeles could pretty Hendricks from Chicago at a lower prospect price than they otherwise would have if they took on Kris Bryant was well. 

You'd definitely be buying low on Bryant with the possibility of him rediscovering his former form, and he young enough that he could make for an acceptable one year bridge in RF, despite being more of a 3B and LF. 

Hendricks is obviously the jewel of this trade, he would check a lot of the boxes they need in a starting pitcher.

23 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

A very good point.
Outside of the top 5, this class was extremely meh.  Even the top 5 was only that as no one better was available. 
Aside from Realmuto, who even he has his issues, were anyone really in the top list of their position?

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

I'm not seeing a suitor for Bauer who has a blank check ready for him. I think he signs well below his expectations.

Meh, seems like every offseason it’s a roller coaster ride with the top names with these things put out by the media. 

In the end the top guys typically get their money. I think most of us thought Realmuto over played his hand once the Mets signed McCann. 

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

What does veto his new GM even mean? Is he insinuating that Minasian doesn't want Trevor Bauer?

I assume it means (if true) Minasian has a value on Bauer he won't overpay significantly on, whereas Arte wants to have the high bid, regardless of whether it disagrees with the team's assessment of Bauer's value. 

As I said above, I'm skeptical of this if for no other reason than Arte hasn't spent that much to date. He can certainly afford it, I've just yet to see any evidence he'll go that far.

Also, that would be a bit concerning to see him overrule his GM this soon. You pay the dude to be the expert. It's a bad look to pull rank on the first big decision.