• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

You know one thing that I've learned throughout these last few free agencies, is just how important it is to devlop.

Developing homegrown talent needs to be prioritized and should be the driving force. 

Perosnally i still have or would like to get bauer, but if we don't i take plays B.

For me Plan B is Tanaka, i think he'll be a solid added to the rotation. he's not an Ace, but a solid middle of the rotation arm. 

Add Tanaks around 12-15 mil, than use that last bit of money and had another lockdown arm and build the Bullpen. 

We have a young Blend of Talent also coming up and/or are close. 

With that Talent, and the additions to the rotation, we should be a playyoff team! 

I know one of the major concerns is that if we add Tanaka, we'll have four pitchers that will be free agents after the year. i don't think this is a major concern, as we don't really have a big names pitcher as a free agent.On the other side, it opens up payroll. 

Not only that, what we should expect Detemrs and Rodriguez to fill atleast two of those spots. 

27 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

The Astros designated Humberto Castellanos to make room for Castro.  I think he gets picked up by someone below the Angels but he'd be a solid RP prospect to add.  Hasn't done it in MLB yet but the minor league numbers are really good and he's only 22

After years of Eppler picking up many players on waivers, Minasian still hasn't picked up a single player on waivers this offseason.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

After years of Eppler picking up many players on waivers, Minasian still hasn't picked up a single player on waivers this offseason.

Yep, and he's had the roster space. 

Personally, it says more about how much Eppler elevated the base talent than it does Minasian being unwilling to go that route.

Hard to argue this kid isn't better than the some of the stiffs they had in AAA from 15-19.

Angels 40 man is currently at 38 and my guess is we're likely to add a couple more pitchers so picking up a couple guys off waivers would likely be futile at this point.  Plus, there is likely to be quite a few options available at the end of the off season where he might get a couple solid players on cheap major league or even minor league contracts.  

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Angels 40 man is currently at 38 and my guess is we're likely to add a couple more pitchers so picking up a couple guys off waivers would likely be futile at this point.  Plus, there is likely to be quite a few options available at the end of the off season where he might get a couple solid players on cheap major league or even minor league contracts.  

Add Bauer and Hand.

Win championships.

11 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

lol at the Mets if they avoid Bauer because some gargoyle that identifies as Kate wants her 5 seconds of fame.

Come on Arte, make us proud!

If anything it would be to avoid looking like fakes after preaching about a no tolerance policy.   It's NYC, and those sorts of social things will get more noise there than in other markets.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I guess there's this:

Trevor Bauer’s dark social media episode should disqualify him from Mets

https://nypost.com/2021/01/23/trevor-bauers-dark-social-media-episode-should-disqualify-him-from-mets/

The most glaring example, one that I admittedly hadn’t fully digested previously, occurred in January 2019 when Bauer engaged in a Twitter battle with a female college student, whose name won’t be reported here in the interest of protecting her from further attacks. What began as seemingly playful trash talk quickly escalated into something much darker, as Bauer (who currently has over 414,000 followers on the platform) researched the woman’s Twitter timeline to find and retweet posts of her drinking alcohol before her 21st birthday.

If this is the tension I fail to see anything wrong bauer did.  He held a spotlight on pictures she already made public? Maybe childish on his part but nothing even remotely wrong.  

I wonder if Trevor Rosenthal (1.90 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 38 K's, 23 2/3 IP) would come cheaper over Brad Hand?

If so I'm guessing we could sign southpaw Jake McGee (2.66 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 33 K's, 20 IP) and Rosenthal for possibly the same cost if not slightly more than just Hand alone. 

2 minutes ago, mmc said:

There's really no room for Taillon if we're going all in for a more established SP like Bauer and if not him, someone like Tanaka, Paxton, etc. 

Right now: Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Ohtani and Barria. 

18 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

There's really no room for Taillon if we're going all in for a more established SP like Bauer and if not him, someone like Tanaka, Paxton, etc. 

Right now: Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Quintana, Ohtani and Barria. 

I thought this too but wonder if there's a way to make it work. 

Trade for Taillon, sign Odorizzi then trade Heaney for RF or RP depth. 

Obviously my option A is get Bauer. 

16 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I thought this too but wonder if there's a way to make it work. 

Trade for Taillon, sign Odorizzi then trade Heaney for RF or RP depth. 

Obviously my option A is get Bauer. 

FWIW, Fangraphs projects Heaney to be a better pitcher than both Odorizzi and Taillon this season.  It is only a projection, but for a team like ours who really needs pitching depth, I don't think it's wise to trade Heaney.

57 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I wonder if Trevor Rosenthal (1.90 ERA, 0.85 WHIP, 38 K's, 23 2/3 IP) would come cheaper over Brad Hand?

If so I'm guessing we could sign southpaw Jake McGee (2.66 ERA, 0.84 WHIP, 33 K's, 20 IP) and Rosenthal for possibly the same cost if not slightly more than just Hand alone. 

I'm guessing Rosenthal's going to make significantly more than Hand. I'd say he's the top reliever on the market, now that Hendriks is off the market. He has elite stuff, while Hand's velocity has dropped recently.

I'd be scared of McGee regressing. It just seems like it's hard for him to be so successful when he's throwing the same exact pitch 95% of the time. 19/20 times, he's throwing a four-seam fastball.

2 minutes ago, Trendon said:

I'm guessing Rosenthal's going to make significantly more than Hand. I'd say he's the top reliever on the market, now that Hendriks is off the market. He has elite stuff, while Hand's velocity has dropped recently.

I'd be scared of McGee regressing. It just seems like it's hard for him to be so successful when he's throwing the same exact pitch 95% of the time. 19/20 times, he's throwing a four-seam fastball.

Right - McGee is basically a one-pitch pitcher.  His numbers looked good during the season, but if you watched the playoffs, the Dodgers never used him in high-leverage situations - he was only used in mop-up duties during the playoff run, which suggests their lack of trust in him.

I'd avoid McGee.  Relievers are so volatile that I'd rather just utilize whatever remaining budget we have on a SP, and perhaps a LHH corner OF on a modest deal, and try to find value when it comes to finding one more reliever.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Disagree. I think the Angels have plenty of room for more starting pitchers, as long as they are better than Barria. Ohtani is a complete unknown and both Heaney and Canning have had their share of injury troubles. If even one of those pitchers gets hurt, you have to begin counting on Sandoval. After that, it's Suarez, Peters, Faria, and Pannone.

Not having sufficient pitching depth gets the Angels into trouble every season. They need to add as much as possible, especially when every pitcher's workload is increasing significantly.

Agree as well.  While people say "we can't add another SP because our rotation is full" .. consider that the likelihood that all of our SP options will be healthy by the end of spring training are somewhere between nil and nada.

Someone is bound to be hurt, whether it's a nagging injury that puts them behind in spring training or something more serious than that.  It's just the nature of things.  So signing another SP, or trading for one, likely doesn't create much of an issue.  And, if the "worst case" scenario occurs and they're all healthy (yeah, that sounds odd, calling that a "worst case" scenario), then Barria simply moves to the pen.