• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Hot Stove Offseason Thread

rafibomb

17 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I wouldn't call last year a success. 2nd worst rotation in baseball and at one point we had a shot for the #1 overall pick. 

Maybe their absolute worst scenario is Realmuto if everyone including Bauer is gone. Then they'd flip a trade for a pitcher.

I do think they'll land one of Bauer/Odorizzi/Paxton (one in that order). Or at least.... hope

i dont think there are any trades left that would matter, were just giving up kids for people who wont be that much better at that point, i see no reason the Reds trade at this point unless overwhelmed. 

https://homeplateview.com/2021/01/22/angels-add-pitching-but-does-it-answer-questions-about-2021-2022/

Anyone else read this? 

Minasian noted that players who have “played for (Joe Maddon) in the past are dying to play for him again.” 

Cubs have some interesting players set to be free agents over the next few years. 

27 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

https://homeplateview.com/2021/01/22/angels-add-pitching-but-does-it-answer-questions-about-2021-2022/

Anyone else read this? 

Minasian noted that players who have “played for (Joe Maddon) in the past are dying to play for him again.” 

Cubs have some interesting players set to be free agents over the next few years. 

Javier Baez is one of them, FA a year from now and plays a solid SS and supplies lots of power.

Main issues with him though are high Ks and low OBP (.309 career so far).

1 hour ago, CanadianHalo said:

Anyone else read this? 

Yeah I saw that. I looked through some of the FA starters who played for Maddon, and there are a few of them. (Anderson/Archer/Arrieta/Moore/Odorizzi)

I haven't looked into it, but I'd assume there are also a number of relievers and outfielders who played for Maddon.

On 1/21/2021 at 12:29 PM, Lou said:

I wasn't aware we couldn't make any more transactions after we acquire an ace. 

it's in the geneva convention, page 167, section 19, paragraph 7, subsection 4.3.9

any dummy knows this.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Angels and Mets are strikingly in the same position. They could spend all they got left on Bauer or spread their money around to fill various needs. 

Does Arte wanna lose out on the guy who he voted "no" on owning the team? Might become an ego thing especially with him whiffing on Cole, Corbin and others. 

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Angels and Mets are strikingly in the same position. They could spend all they got left on Bauer or spread their money around to fill various needs. 

Does Arte wanna lose out on the guy who he voted "no" on owning the team? Might become an ego thing especially with him whiffing on Cole, Corbin and others. 

I have to admit @angelsnationtalk that I will be incredibly disappointed if we miss out on Bauer, but if Minasian recovers to sign a secondary tiered arm, another solid reliever and upgrades at RF...I will be very happy with this offseason.  

1 minute ago, angelsnationtalk said:

My feeling all along has been that the Angels will get Bauer if Arte wants him and they won't get him if Arte doesn't want him.

While we all thought Cole should've been the Angels priority, it was clear from Moreno's quotes that Rendon was his priority.

If Arte wants a guy, he usually gets him.

2 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

I do not believe it's just about who offers the most money. Bauer has indicated certain things that he wants.

4 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

I have to admit @angelsnationtalk that I will be incredibly disappointed if we miss out on Bauer, but if Minasian recovers to sign a secondary tiered arm, another solid reliever and upgrades at RF...I will be very happy with this offseason.  

100%
Option A: Get Bauer
OR
Option B: Sign Odorizzi, Colome/Rosenthal, then get Joc. Save the prospects

It's one or the other. And it's only those specific players. If not, then no thanks. 

While relievers are volatile, there are so many solid-good relievers on the free agent market that it would feel like a giant missed opportunity if the Angels don't add at least 1-2 more solid-good relievers.

The bullpen was just as much of an issue as the rotation last season, and there are tons of options available in free agency to upgrade/fix the bullpen who aren't going to cost a ton.

When we look at this offseason, there is only one top of the rotation starter on the free agent market but there are tons of solid-good relievers on the free agent market.

5 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

100%
Option A: Get Bauer
OR
Option B: Sign Odorizzi, Colome/Rosenthal, then get Joc. Save the prospects

It's one or the other. And it's only those specific players. If not, then no thanks. 

Both options exceed last years payroll by $20m+. Not saying it can’t happen, but those who have this set as an expectation are setting themselves up to be disappointed. 

Could be a good depth signing...maybe?

• Jon Heyman of MLB Network reports that free agent reliever AJ Ramos has been drawing interest and will throw for teams on Tuesday.

Ramos made it back to the major leagues, surrendering one run on four hits with three walks and one strikeout over 2 2/3 frames (three appearances), with the Rockies during the 60-game sprint season last year. He missed nearly two full years after undergoing shoulder surgery during the 2018 campaign. The 34-year-old righty owns a pristine 3.08 ERA, 1.28 WHIP and 427/203 K/BB ratio across 368 2/3 innings in his career. He'll compete for an Opening Day roster spot somewhere this spring.

Jan 23, 2021, 10:59 PM ET

4 hours ago, ukyah said:

it's not a fact that the angels SP sucks. it's an opinion. 

I disagree.  Just compare the Angels starting rotation to other teams vying for the playoffs and see where they currently stand.  Pretty much all the Angel SPs have "hope" tied to them versus a good level of certainty.  That's a bad situation to be in.  Doesn't mean they can't avoid suckage in 2021 -- but's it's asking ALOT.

1. Bundy -- hoping that 2020 was his new norm and not a one-year aberration.
  2. Heaney -- injuries and inconsistency are the norm
  3. Quintana -- hoping he can regain what he had a couple years ago and that the limited 2020 inning doesn't impact him eating up innings in 2021
  4. Canning -- still hasn't put it together yet and has injury issue.
  5. Open spot: anyone we have on the roster right now taking this spot is simply hoping to keep the game close enough for the offense to win a few games.
  6. Ohtani -- lol...it's 100% hope & praying with him SP-wise for 2021.

If you you feel that's not one of the worst playoff contending starting pitching staffs....then you are more optimistic than Kimmy Schmidt.  I wish i was as optimistic as you my friend.