• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Former Marlins President/GM Michael Hill is a candidate for the Angels GM position

BTH

21 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Isn’t Byrnes the old gm from Arizona who did nothing with that team. Traded and signed a bunch of guys and then was fired?

he got fired from both the dbacks and padres.  

he hasn't done much when he's been the lead guy.  

maybe being under Friedman for the last few years has helped him.  Maybe not.  A lot of people assume he'll be like Friedman.  

I read a couple articles with quotes from both teams that fired him (both of who got trashed in the press a bit for doing so) and there were remarks about leadership in both cases.  Maybe I'm reading into what is probably just normal crap teams say when they fire a guy, but teams have not performed well while he was the GM or President.  

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

he got fired from both the dbacks and padres.  

he hasn't done much when he's been the lead guy.  

maybe being under Friedman for the last few years has helped him.  Maybe not.  A lot of people assume he'll be like Friedman.  

I read a couple articles with quotes from both teams that fired him (both of who got trashed in the press a bit for doing so) and there were remarks about leadership in both cases.  Maybe I'm reading into what is probably just normal crap teams say when they fire a guy, but teams have not performed well while he was the GM or President.  

I don't know if it were me I'd stay away from a guy on his 3rd try at this job when he's failed two times before it. Maybe that's just me though. I would hard pass on Byrnes. But I could see Arte doing it. 

Talking out of my ass because I don’t know much about Hill but he seems to be a little bit of a Stoneman type...lifer with a a cheapo organization, strong on evaluating and developing talent because you have to in Miami (or had to in Stoneman’s case in Montreal)....

Found this write-up on Hill from a Marlins fan on Reddit

What you're probably wondering: is that good?

Well, it's complicated. Hill was basically universally hated prior to this year and took much of the blame for the moves the Marlins made during the Loria-era and then the firesale a few years ago. But the truth is, Loria was one of the more meddling owners in the league and often switched between going "all in" and tearing things down on a year by year basis. He was never in a great position to succeed; not to mention the limitations he had on spending.

On the flip side, a lot of people give Hill most of the credit for the way the Marlins performed this season. And to be clear, he certainly had some role in the transactions the team made that held things together -- but it's hard to say exactly how big that role was. He was one of the few hold overs in the FO from the Loria era and that was undoubtedly due to the extension he received the summer before the teams sale. So you have to wonder if his position was more ceremonial than anything else, and that the Marlins simply kept him around to be a voice in the room and/or a meat shield, rather than replace him and pay him for nothing.

Dealing with meddlesome owners sounds familiar.

53 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

Who

He's the guy you were thinking of...  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Stewart_(baseball)

On September 25, 2014, the Arizona Diamondbacks hired Stewart to become their general manager, replacing Towers. He reported to La Russa, his former manager when he played for Oakland, who served as the Diamondbacks' chief baseball officer.[85] He transferred his management company to former A's teammate Dave Henderson when he took the Diamondbacks job.[86] On December 4, 2015, the Diamondbacks agreed to a six-year contract with free agent pitcher Zack Greinke worth a total of $206.5 million. At that time, it held the highest annual average value in MLB, exceeding $34.4 million per year, and was also the largest contract by total value in team history.[87] Stewart later said of the contract, "It could be franchise-changing for us, if everything goes well."[88] In October 2016, Stewart and manager Chip Hale were fired by the Diamondbacks.[89]