• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

I'm the GM: Here's My (Latest) Offseason Plan

Angelsjunky

Offseason plan, according to GM Angelsjunky, listed in terms of priority.

1. Sign the best starter possible. I don't think Bauer is realistic, so start with Stroman, then Gausman, and on down the line.
  2. Consider trade targets. Prioritize Joe Musgrove, but look at others. Unless it is a top-flight young pitcher with club control, don't trade any of the top prospects (especially Marsh, Rodriguez, Detmers, but also preferably Adams, Paris, etc). If a second starter is acquired via trade, skip 3 and move on to 4.
  3. Sign a swingman/secondary starter, preferably to a one-year deal. Nothing too fancy, but see if Garret Richards wants to come home.
  4. Relievers. At least two, and hopefully--if money allows--one of them elite, or at least really good.
  5. Sign a platoon catcher. Don't overspend.
  6. If any cash is left, pickup a journeyman infielder and possibly an outfielder. But wait in the hopes that someone decent can be had on the cheap.

The numbers are not only in order of priority, but (hopefully) order of acquisition. Or at the least, get at least one good starter before spending on anything else. And shore up the pitching staff before signing any bench players. This also may give greater freedom later, if--for example--money is saved on pitching via trade, the Angels can go after a more expensive (and better) catcher like James McCann.

You? Try to keep it succinct.

Edited by Angelsjunky

Pretty much agree, the one fly in the ointment is Adell’s bigtime struggles at the MLB level.

Would other teams chalk it up to being promoted too soon, and still view him as a MLB top 10 prospect?

That would determine if it is time to trade him.   Adams’ development also plays a part in it.   Can he be the 3rd OFer in two years, between Trout and Marsh.

I still think Marsh has Edmonds potential.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, T.G. said:

BTW... how much is Arte paying you? 

Will you be leaking info to Fletch or will you continue to post in here?

Is it true you plan to spend a lot of time in the locker room when the guys are showering?

Arte's trying to convince me to trade Brandon Marsh for Miguel Cabrera. He figures it will boost the Latino market, and we need a Hall of Famer to replace Pujols.

4 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Pretty much agree, the one fly in the ointment is Adell’s bigtime struggles at the MLB level.

Would other teams chalk it up to being promoted too soon, and still view him as a MLB top 10 prospect?

That would determine if it is time to trade him.   Adams’ development also plays a part in it.   Can he be the 3rd OFer in two years, between Trout and Marsh.

I still think Marsh has Edmonds potential.

I agree re: Marsh. He's going to be very good.

I wouldn't trade Adell. Not only is there a slight tarnish on his prospect cred so GMs will try to lowball the Angels, but he's going to bounce back in AAA and be ready for the big leagues by Spring 2021 at the latest. I believe.

5 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

1. Sign the best starter possible. I don't think Bauer is realistic, so start with Stroman, then Gausman, and on down the line.
  2. Consider trade targets. Prioritize Joe Musgrove, but look at others. Unless it is a top-flight young pitcher with club control, don't trade any of the top prospects (especially Marsh, Rodriguez, Detmers, but also preferably Adams, Paris, etc). If a second starter is acquired via trade, skip 3 and move on to 4.
  3. Sign a swingman/secondary starter, preferably to a one-year deal. Nothing too fancy, but see if Garret Richards wants to come home.
  4. Relievers. At least two, and hopefully--if money allows--one of them elite, or at least really good.
  6. If any cash is left, pickup a journeyman infielder and possibly an outfielder. But wait in the hopes that someone decent can be had on the cheap.

The numbers are not only in order of priority, but (hopefully) order of acquisition. Or at the least, get at least one good starter before spending on anything else. And shore up the pitching staff before signing any bench players. This also may give greater freedom later, if--for example--money is saved on pitching via trade, the Angels can go after a more expensive (and better) catcher like James McCann.

Thanks AJ.

Love your ideas.

Non-tender Andriese and Robles.

Get two above average starters, either via trade, free agency, or a combination.

Sign an above average reliever.

Sign 1-2 late-inning options for the bullpen. (There are gonna be a flood of guys bc of non-tenders, so they should come somewhat cheaply).

Try to shore up the rotation depth, bullpen depth, and bench depth. Maybe flip guys like Buttrey, Middleton, Suarez, and Jones for more proven options.

Wait out the market for a cheap platoon C.

Wait out the market for a cheap 2B/SS option.

With With 118 committed to just 4 players, and a lot of arbitration cases, I start by non-tendering Robles and Barnes. I'd offer Bedrosian 3/8.5 or I offer Andriese, 2/5.5. (2M would be the 2021 Salary) I'd non tender one of them if they don't accept. I'd also designate Anderson for assignment.. I'd offer Extensions to Andrew Heaney and Dylan Bundy for 3 season plus maybe a mutual option. This gives the rotation some stability as only Barria and Canning (And Sandoval) are under control in 2022.

I'd sign Ohtani to club friendly 4 year deal, buying out his arbitration years. and one free agent year. (4/36).

1.  I'd trade for Trevor Story and Jon Gray. This will likely cost me Marsh or Adams, Barria, Middleton, and Thaiss.  Plus more prospects. I think it will be less than a rumored Lindor trade but I'd expect to part with some serious talent. I'd try to keep Detmers, two of the three OF, Adell is still not tradeable. Everything else is up for grabs.

2. I'd sign Garrett Richards, Yusmiero Petit and two other relievers. Rosenthal / Hendriks /Treinen would be preferred. I'd also look at Erasmo Ramirez and Blake Parker.

3. Sign a backup Catcher.

Rotation for 2021 is Bundy, Gray, Richards,  Heaney, Canning, and Ohtani on Sundays. Pen is Rosenthal, Mayers, Petit, Pena, Bedrosian, Ramirez, Parker, and Ramirez.

Lineup is Fletcher, Trout, Rendon, Story, Ohtani, Upton, Walsh, Adell/Ward, Stassi/Castro. Bench is Pujols, Barreto or Rengifo.

1 hour ago, Kevinb said:

You lost me at 1. Sign best starter available. I don't think Bauer is realistic? He's not even realistic in your fantasy make believe scenario? haha Come on man you can't be that much of a debbie downer. 

I must have missed your suggestions....

11 hours ago, Angelsjunky said:

Mr. Junky....Mr Tank would like to see you in his office.  Immediately.  And please bring your company issued laptop.  thanks.  

I am more and more of the belief that the team needs to add impact talent as opposed to targeting specific positions/roles. Obviously impact pitching is  critical, and starters should be prioritized. But I wouldn’t shy away from adding impact position player talent if a good opportunity presented itself. 

And I agree with Hubs - the team should make a strong effort to sign Bundy and Heaney to extensions. 

I'm actually at a bit of a loss on how I'd proceed this off season.  

the complicating factors are the expanded playoffs and decreased revenue.  

Expanded playoffs will make it less likely that teams trade away major league players for minor league talent.  Only a couple of the truly awful teams are going to be willing to do that.  Like the pirates who will likely be able to cut a fat hog on moving musgrove as there will be many more suitors than usual.  Teams like boston and texas really don't have cheap pitching assets that are club controlled.  

The Angels don't have major league ready assets they can trade.  We need Walsh.  We need Fletcher.  

An do we really think that Arte is going to take payroll to 190m in light of decreased revenue?

There might end up being some free agent bargains out there.  Maybe.  

I know people want the team to go hard after pitching, but I think I'd kinda kick the can down the road a bit till next year.  There just aren't that many options to get good pitching as far as I can see and I don't think I'd totally force it.  

so I'd go with a little pen help, a cheap option at 2b, and one free agent pitcher like Gausman or Stroman.  I don't want to get raked over the coals on a trade which I think teams would be looking to do to us.  The other way to do it would be to take on some salary from an expensive player from a team looking to cut payroll.  There could be a couple of surprise teams that might want to off load some contracts.  I don't see Arte having the stomach for that but it could be an option.