• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels interested in Didi Gregorius

mmc

Phillies_Red_Sox_Baseball.jpg

The Angels have an interest in the left-handed-hitting Gregorius, who will turn 31 in February. That is likely advance work because their shortstop, Andrelton Simmons, will become a free agent after the World Series.

Gregorius had a truncated 2019 season, in which he didn’t start playing until June 7 due to Tommy John surgery and ended up hitting .238 with 16 homers and 61 RBIs in 82 games. After that tepid interest from the Yankees, he signed a one-year deal for $14 million with the Phillies and responded by hitting .284 with 10 homers, 40 RBIs and posting a .827 OPS. That could put him on track for a two- or three-year deal this time.

https://nypost.com/2020/10/22/yankees-could-get-challenge-from-angels-for-didi-gregorius-reunion/

• mmc changed the title to Angels interested in Didi Gregorius

Cant wait for the angels to sign him so he can get his 2nd tommy john surgery.

But seriously i really hope this isn't true, Didi is basically another Upton with his extreme cold/hot streaks and will cost money we need for SP's.

I'm fine with taking a chance on Rengifo/Barreto/Thaiss/Jones at 2B, all of whom have upside. Even a low risk/high reward signing of Ha-Seong Kim would be a more welcomed move.

Get us Bauer or a combo of Stroman/Gausman/Walker plus some pen pieces to supplement Pena and Mayers. 

32 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Angels could sign Bauer, trade for another young starter with 5 years of control and if they sign Didi, fans will still be pissed they didn’t spend that money on more pitching.

i get your point, but... i mean, you know.

36 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

With the good 2020 season, plus 16 HRs and 61 rbis in basically half of 2019, he is going to cost a lot, especially if competing with the Skanks, plus is already 31.

I’d rather focus on pitching.

Neutral park numbers....  .247/.308/.412.    I'd rather keep Fletcher at SS and sign Cesar Hernandez to play 2B.  Switch hitter, gets on base more, and they won't be paying for a .915 home park OPS.

It will be interesting to see the cost, hard to guage anything without that, but if it goes into the usual free agent cost range i would stay away.
Only missed time in one season since become full time starter in 15. 
Hes solid, durable, decent numbers... not opposed at the right price but I kinda doubt he will come at a price i would like. 

Doesn't really make sense based upon the available information about needs and money.

Signing Didi would be either a really good or really bad sign:

Bad: Arte wants a "championship player" - someone with name recognition who has played on winning teams. Or maybe he has a Didi fetish. This would be sort of a David Freese type move, and may prohibit acquiring the pitching that is needed.

Good: Arte is willing to spend big, and plug any holes (huhuh, Beavis), and will be followed by other significant free agents, especially pitchers.

In the "good" scenario, it only makes sense if this move is combined with acquiring a Stroman type, a secondary starter, 2-3 relievers, and a solid platoon catcher. But all that--with Didi--could cost about +$60-70M AAV, and that seems a bit rich for Arte's tastes - unless lots of trades are made.

While I like Didi, ultimately I don't think it will or should happen. The Angels have other more important priorities, and there's no reason they can't take the audition-approach at 2B for the year, while focusing on improving the pitching staff. If they don't have confidence in Rengifo/Barreto/Jones, they can always wait the free agent season out and acquire a Seasoned Veteran on a one-year deal for $5M. Didi will cost $15M+ AAV in a 3-4 year contract.

Edited by Angelsjunky

On 10/22/2020 at 10:54 PM, Dochalo said:

I just don't see that Didi will be worth the money.  

I think we should wait out the MIF market till the very end.  My guess is we'll get someone capable for a reasonable price.  Maybe even Simmons.  

I wouldn't spend the money on DIDI, just move Fletch to SS and sign La Stella back in FA, he should be much cheaper and has learned to hit since becoming an everyday player. He was an All Star with us in 2019. We need pitching, pitching, pitching...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds

2 hours ago, Fourts said:

If i'm the Angels GM, i'm not spending any significant money on a MI.  I'm stilling back and waiting for the value at the end of the FA market to pickup a depth piece -- maybe even one that can start.  But purely value FA pickup...1-2 years.

That might be LaStella, though he is more than a depth piece....he would certainly be cheaper than Gregorius....it might also be Simmons, who could end up with a flat market....think Moustakas a few years ago....

37 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

I wouldn't spend the money on DIDI, just move Fletch to SS and sign La Stella back in FA, he should be much cheaper and has learned to it since becoming an everyday player. He was an All Star with us in 2019. We need pitching, pitching, pitching...

Stella helps the offense, but does he do enough with the glove without Simba being at SS?   That is the big question.

Edited by Angel Oracle