• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Dodgers Young Pitching

Angelsjunky

3 hours ago, Second Base said:

I'm still astounded that Dustin May went in the third round. The big kick, flaming red hair, six and a half feet tall, and high 90's fastball, like how the frick could a scout not notice the dude?  Clearly the Dodgers saw him. 

Well, he wasn't throwing in the high 90's when he was drafted.

From MLB Pipeline in 2016: "May threw in the low 80s as a sophomore but has added significant velocity as his 6-foot-6 frame has started to fill out. He dealt at 90-93 mph and reached 95 at the outset of his senior season."

On 10/18/2020 at 9:50 PM, Angelsjunky said:

tony-gonsolin-dustin-may.png

They've got some good young pitchers, no? How does a perennial contender assemble such a group of young arms?

Walker Buehler - Draft (1st round, 24th pick)

Dustin May - draft (3rd round)

Julio Urias - international signing

Brusdar Graterol - trade

Tony Gonsolin - draft (9th round)

Caleb Ferguson - draft (38th round)

Victor Gonzalez - international signing

That's a nice assortment of young arms, all age 26 or younger this year. Only one is a 1st rounder - and he was drafted 24th.

I'm tempted to ask the rhetorical question: how do the Dodgers do this and why can't the Angels? The easy answer is scouting and player development, two areas the Dodgers excel at and the Angels have had mixed results in.

I hope Morosi is right, and the next GM focuses on internal development and tries to emulate teams like the Dodgers.

The biggest take away from  of this is that all of these guys were/are home grown talents, Except Grateroi. I think outside of Urias, all of the picks came under Friedman. 

While if we look at what Eppler has done, he's brought in Othani, Canning, Barria ( i think he developed under eppler), and SUarez (he's running out of chances). 

Personally i would say Eppler has done really well, But, the biggest knock that i've said for awhile under him, was the amount of Tj our pitcher had to deal with. Not hating the guy, but this was Personal big issue. He brought in Othani, a guy that could be a 1, but was a solid 2 before Tj. A pitcher that i would in the same tier as Buehler. While canning has and still does the potential to be 2 or a solid 3, and Barria whould fill in as a number 3 to a 5. 

12 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

The biggest take away from  of this is that all of these guys were/are home grown talents, Except Grateroi. I think outside of Urias, all of the picks came under Friedman. 

While if we look at what Eppler has done, he's brought in Othani, Canning, Barria ( i think he developed under eppler), and SUarez (he's running out of chances). 

Personally i would say Eppler has done really well, But, the biggest knock that i've said for awhile under him, was the amount of Tj our pitcher had to deal with. Not hating the guy, but this was Personal big issue. He brought in Othani, a guy that could be a 1, but was a solid 2 before Tj. A pitcher that i would in the same tier as Buehler. While canning has and still does the potential to be 2 or a solid 3, and Barria whould fill in as a number 3 to a 5. 

are you implying that Eppler had something to do with certain guys getting TJ surg?  

9 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

are you implying that Eppler had something to do with certain guys getting TJ surg?  

I wouldn't say it's Eppler fault, and i'm also not blaming him. I would say it might be the Philosphy that he brought in? He came from the yankees,amd they too have had their shares of TJ and shoulder injuries. Than the Padres brought in Larry Rothschild to be their pitching coach. From talking with a few of my Padres friends, that Rothschild has brought in the same philosphy as what the Yankees and eppler has used, and that is based on throwing a lot of sliders. The Padres also now have a fair shar to elbow/shoulder issued.

I would also that it's something else. alot of other teams have increased thier slider usagae. So it could be totally somthing else. But if we to list the players that required Tj between us and the yankees it's alot.   

On 10/20/2020 at 1:07 PM, Trendon said:

Well, he wasn't throwing in the high 90's when he was drafted.

From MLB Pipeline in 2016: "May threw in the low 80s as a sophomore but has added significant velocity as his 6-foot-6 frame has started to fill out. He dealt at 90-93 mph and reached 95 at the outset of his senior season."

Can only hope that Kochanowicz emerges in a similar way. 

Same height, same emerging heat, was also drafted in the 3rd round (2019).

Edited by Angel Oracle