• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

When do we see some action in the Angels GM search?

BTH

I know Fletcher reported the other day that they aren't gonna hire someone until after the World Series, but it seems like we should be hearing about some people interviewing for the job.
I haven't seen any reports of someone interviewing for the job or really anything at all. Are they just keeping it really close to the vest, or are they just taking the search really slowly?

The Angels like to keep a tight lid on things at the top, and if Fletch isn't getting anywhere then no one is. But as they start asking permission from other teams to interview their front office personnel, some names will likely be leaked, by other teams. 

I'm guessing we'll have our new GM by the time the Marines turn 245. 

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

But as they start asking permission from other teams to interview their front office personnel, some names will likely be leaked, by other teams. 

The Dodgers and Rays are two of the top teams to poach executives from, so maybe them still being in the playoffs is a main factor in the silence. If they are waiting until after the World Series to interview executives from those teams, then it makes sense why he haven't seen any names leaked.

23 hours ago, Trendon said:

I know Fletcher reported the other day that they aren't gonna hire someone until after the World Series, but it seems like we should be hearing about some people interviewing for the job.
I haven't seen any reports of someone interviewing for the job or really anything at all. Are they just keeping it really close to the vest, or are they just taking the search really slowly?

Unfortunately, this.

I am trying to find out whatever I can, but someone needs to be willing to tell me, and that’s not happening at the moment. 

Based on the fact that I was told “after the WS,” I suspect at least one of the people they want to talk to is working for one of the teams still playing. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Unfortunately, this.

I am trying to find out whatever I can, but someone needs to be willing to tell me, and that’s not happening at the moment. 

Based on the fact that I was told “after the WS,” I suspect at least one of the people they want to talk to is working for one of the teams still playing. 

Considering that both the Dodgers and Rays are still playing, I can only hope it's someone from one (or both) of those teams.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Considering that both the Dodgers and Rays are still playing, I can only hope it's someone from one (or both) of those teams.

Yeah. Josh Brynes from the Dodgers and Peter Bendix from the Rays seem like the top available candidates from those two teams.

not a lot of GMs getting ousted this year.  I wonder if that has played into why the halos would give Eppler an extension in July and then move on from him shortly thereafter.  It's just us and the Phils.  If you wait another year, there is probably a crap ton more competition.  They probably figured there was about a 50/50 chance that Eppler would be done after 2021 so why not just do it now.  

Under normal circumstances there are usually about 4 or 5 spots that have turned over.  Jumping the gun a bit (if that's really the case) might give them access to a couple of guy that might not have normally considered the job.  

It could actually end up being a fairly shrewd move.  

On 10/17/2020 at 3:54 PM, Jeff Fletcher said:

Unfortunately, this.

It is very reasonable to speculate that the Angels could be considering people from the Dodgers and/or Rays for the job.

It is also reasonable to think if neither the Dodgers nor Rays were in the WS, the Angels still would still wait until after the WS to name a GM.

Was this not posted yet? From https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020/10/quick-hits-lemahieu-angels-dombrowski-pino-crawford.html

Multiple reports linked Dave Dombrowski was a favorite to take over the Angels‘ front office, though after almost a month, there hasn’t been much new information on that front.  In fact, in an appearance on Jon Heyman’s Big Time Baseball podcast(audio link), USA Today’s Bob Nightengale believes Dombrowski will “absolutely not” end up in Anaheim.  Both Heyman and Nightengale think Dombrowski might remain in Nashville, where he is part of a group vying to bring an expansion team to the Music City, with Nightengale opining that the Phillies could also potentially be a fit for Dombrowski as a win-now team.  As for the Angels’ job, Nightengale thinks their search is “wide open“at this point.  Earlier reports have suggested that the Angels are just beginning their search, and Nightengale thinks a new front office boss might not be in place until close to Thanksgiving

Edited by totdprods

19 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Any odds on Arte Moreno eschewing pitching yet again, and signing more offense like Gregorios or LeMahieu?

I think LeMahieu is too expensive - if they were going to spend that big on someone, I imagine they’d wait until next year’s SS class or trade for Lindor. I do think Gregorius or Semien could be realistic. Realmuto perhaps.

Personally, I do not see the harm in spending on FA hitters. They tend to be better buys than FA pitchers, and the SP class this winter is extremely thin. Trading for pitching seems like a much safer and more affordable route. That doesn’t mean I don’t have interest in Bauer, Stroman, or Gausman, or that I wouldn’t prioritize them, or that a secondary class of arms like Smyly, Porcello, etc. should be ignored, but if signing a MIF enables them to trade Rengifo/Jones, or even something as wacky as signing Ozuna for RF and dealing Adell, or if $20m in ‘21 salary goes to Lindor instead of Bauer, but a subsequent trade lands us Musgrove, it still gets us pitching and an improved team in the end. Just because the dollars were slotted to hitting instead of pitching it doesn’t mean we failed to address pitching. 

Edited by totdprods