• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Angels sign Marcus Stroman, what other starter would you gamble on?

Angels 1961

Is anyone else worth what they are going to cost?
This is not the off season to be going ham on SP, its not a deep market and those who are out there will get PAID as a result.  Dont get me wrong there are a lot of good ones to be had but few top of the rotation guys.  Stroman could kill our budget let alone Bauer. 
No one will want to hear or admit this but it might make more sense to just keep building a juggernaut offense.   I mean do you really want to overpay for SP on the wrong side of 30? 
We need to develop the pitching, not buy it.  
I dont know what my plan is yet, but right now im not wild about the arm options fitting in the budget.  Forget two of them, not happening.

45 minutes ago, floplag said:

Is anyone else worth what they are going to cost?
This is not the off season to be going ham on SP, its not a deep market and those who are out there will get PAID as a result.  Dont get me wrong there are a lot of good ones to be had but few top of the rotation guys.  Stroman could kill our budget let alone Bauer. 
No one will want to hear or admit this but it might make more sense to just keep building a juggernaut offense.   I mean do you really want to overpay for SP on the wrong side of 30? 
We need to develop the pitching, not buy it.  
I dont know what my plan is yet, but right now im not wild about the arm options fitting in the budget.  Forget two of them, not happening.

You're right that we need to develop pitching, but it's not necessarily choosing one over the other.

Btw, we haven't bought pitching since 2012. And we have 3 playoff games to show for it.

We've bought plenty of offense, though.

Rick Porcello, if strictly talking current FAs. Could be some interesting non-tenders too. 

I think a trade is the way to go though. And there’s a chance Stroman and Gausman get QO’ed. Add in fierce Bauer competition and there’s a chance the Angels miss all three.

Edited by totdprods

26 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

You're right that we need to develop pitching, but it's not necessarily choosing one over the other.

Btw, we haven't bought pitching since 2012. And we have 3 playoff games to show for it.

We've bought plenty of offense, though.

Has there been that much to buy?  Realistically?   Theres nothing wrong with guying offense when the pitching isnt there to be bought and you dont have the tools to trade for it. 
Who should we have signed in that time period that was actually a possibility that would have been that top guy we all want?   Guys that we actually had a chance at?   List them cause i cant come up with too many.   A lot of mid rotation guys sure but we have that... in spades.. 

Here are the top 2-3 FA SP in the last few years by ranking, which ones should be wearing halos... 
'19, Cole and Straburg - neither was ever happening.   Wheeler maybe
'18 Corbin, Keuchel, Morton.  I dont recall any of them being real in the end.  Maybe Keuchel
'17 Darvish Arietta 
'16 Hill, Hellisckson 
'15 Greinke Price
Going back further makes little sense... 

So what, if we had Kuechel and Wheeler?  Those 2 guys add over 40M to our payroll, we dont get Rendon... were still where we are, still have issues, still have holes... are we any better off?

Weve had this debate so many times here but the reality is you work with whats available, not what you wish for.   We all know we NEED pitching, but we havent drafted or developed it well where others have, its pretty simple really. 

7 minutes ago, floplag said:

Has there been that much to buy?  Realistically?   Theres nothing wrong with guying offense when the pitching isnt there to be bought and you dont have the tools to trade for it. 
Who should we have signed in that time period that was actually a possibility that would have been that top guy we all want?   Guys that we actually had a chance at?   List them cause i cant come up with too many.   A lot of mid rotation guys sure but we have that... in spades.. 

Here are the top 2-3 FA SP in the last few years by ranking, which ones should be wearing halos... 
'19, Cole and Straburg - neither was ever happening.   Wheeler maybe
'18 Corbin, Keuchel, Morton.  I dont recall any of them being real in the end.  Maybe Keuchel
'17 Darvish Arietta 
'16 Hill, Hellisckson 
'15 Greinke Price
Going back further makes little sense... 

So what, if we had Kuechel and Wheeler?  Those 2 guys add over 40M to our payroll, we dont get Rendon... were still where we are, still have issues, still have holes... are we any better off?

Weve had this debate so many times here but the reality is you work with whats available, not what you wish for.   We all know we NEED pitching, but we havent drafted or developed it well where others have, its pretty simple really. 

You'll notice I never said we SHOULD have spent money on pitching. Just that we haven't. 

15 hours ago, VariousCrap said:

I say the Angels need to sign BOTH Bauer and Stroman.

I agree. From the sounds of it, there’s not going to be a lot of premier pitching becoming available from trade, and even if there was, we would be emptying our system to make a trade like that.

With Upton looking a lot better at the end of the year, he doesn’t have the outlook of a complete albatross as a lot began to think. Maybe a team looking for a veteran bat in their lineup would be willing to take on Upton and the rest of his contract if we throw in a guy like Jeremiah Jackson or Pares. Or both even. That would free up 20 mil in addition to the 40 mil or so I’ve seen floated as what we have to spend. Overpay Bauer to get him here- hopefully that 60 mil is enough for both Bauer and Stroman. backload as needed after Pujols contract is off the books. 

My thinking is, giving those guys up to free Uptons 20 Mil is still less than what we’d be trading to get a pitcher with similar upside as stroman. Yes, perhaps the trade route would bring in a younger and cheaper option, but we’d be likely giving up more than we did for dumping Upton. I even like Upton and thought people were too quick to hate him but I’d rather pay Stroman in this scenario. Maybe bring in a guy like Pederson on a 1 year deal until Marsh/Adell are both ready and perhaps we could have Bauer/Stroman/Pederson for the same or similar price tags as Bauer/Upton/traded pitcher. 

Probably a long shot because of Uptons no trade clause, and both stroman and Bauer have to want to be here. I’d even move Adams to dump Upton if it meant we can sign both those guys. it’s not the craziest thing I’ve heard and we wouldn’t have gutted the farm to make it happen :)

On 10/16/2020 at 1:37 PM, Angels 1961 said:

Forget about Bauer because he is not coming. Halos sign Stroman who would you take a flyer on. Robbie Ray or maybe a Taijuan Walker?

Walker would be my choice, even over Stroman.  But everything depends on what players are going to be asking for.  

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/w/walketa01.shtml

His 2018 and 2019 season pretty much got wiped out with TJ.  2020, he came back with 11 games, 2.70 ERA, and a 1.163 WHIP.  While I don't think he will replicate that, he's only 28 years old, with a career 3.84 ERA and 1.246 WHIP that is achievable and probably beatable.  He's probably a high 3 ERA, with a 1.18-1.23 WHIP range.  

21 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

You'll notice I never said we SHOULD have spent money on pitching. Just that we haven't. 

Granted, i just took it to the next step.  Not knocking the point just suggesting that maybe it isnt a fair criticism.  I think we all agree on the need but the point is that there really hasnt been anything to spend it on that made sense or was realistic.  I have to think that IF Cole was really open to it they would have written that check for example.  He wasnt so they got the next best option which happened to be a bat. 
I think this off season might be more of the same.  Bauer is likely not an option, Stroman i would think is, beyond that there isnt anything that impressive for the likely cost.  So what then if they dont work?  Would a Realmuto for example be so terrible?
Bottom line i think we all agree we NEED more quality pitching, but SP free agents are terrible investments and this seasons crop at the top of that list isnt deep behind Stroman so... it might be another year of plan B.

5 hours ago, totdprods said:

Stallings will be 31 next season...older than Stassi.

But I am interested in Stallings also. Very good defense if I recall. 

Double checked and it said his age is 30.  Thought i read somewhere his age was 23.  Anyway, i still like his bat. And he is  a finalist for NL GG. Also read he might be available. 

24 minutes ago, greginpsca said:

Double checked and it said his age is 30.  Thought i read somewhere his age was 23.  Anyway, i still like his bat. And he is  a finalist for NL GG. Also read he might be available. 

Yeah, he’s worth considering in the same vein that guys like Stassi and Maldonado were. Underutilized career ‘back-up’ types who could flourish with a bigger role. 

Pittsburgh has numerous relief arms of interest too.