• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

If Angels sign Marcus Stroman, what other starter would you gamble on?

Angels 1961

Ray has so much talent and looked to be on the right trajectory but has regressed and to me seems like a number 4 SP with a ton of high potential. Not the best idea when your team needs a number 2 desperately. 

I'd trade for Marquez from the Rockies or Gallen with the Diamondbacks. We have the outfield prospects and roll the dice Upton can be average. 

I think we'll get one of Bauer/Stroman, and then trade for another starter.

The thing about the trade market, is Covid has completely changed the system. How much value do Adell or Marsh have on the trade market?  I guess we'll find out in a month or so. But whomever the new GM is, I expect him to make a trade for a pitcher.

34 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Richards, Still think he'll probably be the best free agent signing in this years pitching class. The stuff his there, He'll have TJ free offseason and i thinking having Rothschild has his pitching coachs might not have been ideal.  

Still think he’s more suited for the pen.

If I'm locked in to Stroman I probably sign Richards. I think he's high risk high reward as a starter, but a good bet to at least be great out of the pen. Im not sure how many innings you pencil him in for but I think you can expect them to be productive innings. Because of the risk I don't think he gets much of a contract, and he'd probably love to come back to Anaheim.

7 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

Forget about Bauer because he is not coming. Halos sign Stroman who would you take a flyer on. Robbie Ray or maybe a Taijuan Walker? 

If they sign Stroman, they would already be gambling on a guy coming back from injury, someone that had not pitched in over a year.  But if they sign someone perfectly healthy without any questions wouldn't mind them looking for someone like Richards or Smyly, two guys who finally made it back from their injuries.   Rich Hill pitched his ass off at age 65 or whatever too.

Walker seemed to finish strong, I kinda wonder what the talk about his shoulder was all about now -- did AZ talk that up in hopes of getting him to come back on the cheap?  Robbie Ray is likely going to be seen as a bounce back candidate, I've always believed he'd get lit up in the AL, great K totals but, HR and BB issues -- he's always been pretty meh in inter-league play too.   It will be interesting to watch what the Yankees do with Tanaka and Paxton.  I wonder what Mike Leake's market will be.  Jose Quintana is someone I've always liked and seemingly underperformed the last couple of years.  Chris Archer is a guy I don't like but has a lot of fans on this board ... he's going to be back from TJS, it will be interesting to see if he can get a Richards/Padres type of deal.

We will likely see a wave of back end SP types get non tendered, too.  I'm not sure they will actually sign two SPs but there should be a ton of arms available providing they get the GM situation resolved while everyone is available.

6 hours ago, tdawg87 said:

I think we'll get one of Bauer/Stroman, and then trade for another starter.

The thing about the trade market, is Covid has completely changed the system. How much value do Adell or Marsh have on the trade market?  I guess we'll find out in a month or so. But whomever the new GM is, I expect him to make a trade for a pitcher.

Since we don't know who the GM is yet, does the Covid situation make you personally more or less risk averse?  If it was Eppler or Stoneman I'd say more, but its anyone's guess whether the new GM will see it as an opportunity to capitalize or tread carefully.  

I personally would lean towards trusting what you know and being more risk averse, but another year of no minor league baseball will make trusting what you know about your minor leaguers a much bigger reach.

I still think throwing money at this problem isn't going to solve it. Obviously Billy isn't the GM anymore, but we've seen what happens in this risky FA signings. Teheran, Harvey, Cahill... And the Angels aren't the only team that has lost on me FA SP. They've just lost the most consistently is all.

To be clear, I'd be all over the trade market and I wouldn't mind our new GM being bold. I'd trade Adell, because we have Marsh and Adams. I'd trade Heaney because it's been 5 years since he had an ERA under 4.00 and I think we could get the same performance from Canning and Barria and the potential for more. 

The way forward for this team, is to unearth another Bundy, which I believe there are a few more out there, spend on low-risk-high-reward FA pitchers that your team won't depend on, like Garrett Richards, and simply keep investing in pitching like Reid Detmers. And if an opportunity comes along where you can get an ace in return for a surplus, like Adell, take advantage of it. And if dangling Heaney can net you another pitcher to build around in the future, go for it. 

I know it's completely unrealistic, but if you imagine for a second, something like Adell and Heaney to San Diego for Gore and Morejon, suddenly we'd have a future rotation that features Detmers, Gore, Morejon, Chris Rodriguez, Ohtani along with Canning and Barria and the future of the organization wouldn't be so bleak. You still have Marsh and Adams in the OF, you've still got a ton of upside infielders coming up like Jackson and Vera, the only difference is now, good have a little bit of pitching to go with it.

If the Angels have a competitive offer, or the top offer, why would anyone think that Bauer wouldn't be coming?  Most pitchers should be thrilled to come to Southern California, not only for the fantastic weather, but a top pitcher like Bauer would only add to the talent base.  

Trout, Rendon, and Fletcher are all top talents.  This team is one or two significant additions away from contention, and when the growth of Marsh and Adell are added to it, I think that Anaheim is a desirable place to pitch.

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

One solid candidate for Bauer, sadly enough, may be the M’s.

Someone mentioned to me that Bauer lives up in the Seattle area.

Dumbpoto love his FAs.

It'd be a sunken cost for the Mariners though. That team is awful, and even if all the prospects Dipoto acquired by selling off the major league team for parts, somehow all reached their ceilings, the Mariners would still be 2-3 years away from competing, and they'd still have gigantic holes in the roster (corner outfield, DH, two more SP and a bullpen) that they'd need to address, thus making the team not nearly as cost efficient and thus making Trevor Bauer an expense they could ill afford to go wrong, and that's assuming that Bauer would even want to sign a contract with them for 3+ years. 

Dipoto is trying to solve a math problem using an incorrect algorithm. It doesn't matter how much he breaks it down, until he fixes the fundamental errors in his team building plan, nobody in the AL West is going to need to worry about Seattle winning more than 85 games. 

I do have to give credit where it's due though. He absolutely fleeced the only GM in baseball dumber than he is in that Cano deal. Not only does he offload an albatross contract, he justifies it by sending them an elite level reliever. Relievers by their very nature are inconsistent with short lifespans, so of course it backfires horribly on the Mets. On top of that, he actually gets Kelenic in return, a prospect so good that even Dipoto and Servais can't screw him up. 

Edited by Second Base