• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels’ GM search won’t be completed until after World Series

The Angels are “not close” to making a decision on their next general manager, with the hire to be made “definitely after the World Series,” according to a source involved in the search.

So far none of the candidates the Angels are considering have been publicly confirmed. It’s not clear how many candidates the Angels have already interviewed, or how many they plan to interview.

Dave Dombrowski has been reported to be a likely candidate for weeks, and the list of logical candidates would include San Diego Padres executive Logan White, Oakland A’s assistant GM Billy Owens, former San Francisco Giants GM Bobby Evans, Chicago Cubs executive Jason McLeod, former Philadelphia Phillies GM Ruben Amaro Jr. and maybe even former Houston Astros GM Jeff Luhnow. Luhnow’s suspension from the team’s cheating scandal ends after the World Series.

The Angels announced they fired Billy Eppler moments after the final out of the 2020 season, which was the fifth losing season under Eppler. Days later, club president John Carpino said they would re-evaluate everything about their baseball operations, and there was no rush to hire a GM.

Carpino said assistant GM Jonathan Strangio and advisor Bill Stoneman, among others, would handle any baseball decisions that needed to be made before they hired a replacement.

SURGERY FOR STASSI

Max Stassi underwent surgery to repair a torn labrum in his left hip, the Angels announced on Wednesday. The typical return to play after this type of procedure is four to six months, the team said. Stassi had a similar surgery on his right hip last September, and he was playing in spring training, before the coronavirus shutdown.

Stassi retooled his swing this season and hit .278 with an .886 OPS and seven home runs in 31 games.

HONORS FOR TROUT

Mike Trout was named a finalist for the American League Hank Aaron Award and the AL Outstanding Player, as voted by MLB players.

The Hank Aaron Award goes to the best hitter in each league. Trout is one of seven finalists in the AL, joined by Jose Abreu, Nelson Cruz, Teoscar Hernandez, DJ LeMahieu, Brandon Lowe and Jose Ramirez.

The other two finalists for the AL Outstanding player are Abreu and LeMahieu.

View the full article

It's still early. Generally speaking, MLB frowns upon major hirings, extensions, trades, etc...during the World Series because it takes the focus away from teams that earned it.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say the Angels have compiled a list of candidates and have probably reached out to guage interest and request permission to speak with candidates. Maybe they've had interviewed, maybe they haven't, I don't believe they have simply because of time constraints, but wouldn't be surprised either way.

Like most GM openings, you have to figure on at least two or three rounds of interviews in front of Carpino, Arte, Maddon, Stoneman, maybe even La Russa. If it were me, I'd be bold and even invite Trout and Pujols in on the meetings. It's their team, they're the captains, both have been tied to this team since 2012, both have contacts, playing or personal services that keep them employed by the Angels for the next 10+ years. 

I think they'll make their hire the second week of November.