• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels grant permission for Tony La Russa to interview for White Sox managerial opening

The Angels have granted the Chicago White Sox permission to speak with Tony La Russa about their managerial opening, which was created this week when they surprisingly fired Rick Renteria.

A Hall of Fame manager, La Russa has spent the past 12 months working as a special assistant in the Angels front office. He is currently assisting with the search for a new general manager, replacing Billy Eppler.

La Russa, 76, last managed the St. Louis Cardinals in 2011. That ended a run of 34 consecutive seasons as a big-league manager, including the first eight seasons managing the White Sox, from 1979-86.

Since managing the Cardinals, La Russa has worked in the front offices of the Arizona Diamondbacks, Boston Red Sox and Angels.

View the full article

5 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Why did Chicago fire their manager?

Local CHI media seems a little confused. Not so much because Renteria deserved to stay, but that the move came out of the blue. It's also a team with a lot of upside going forward. That said, the Cubs won the WS two years after firing Renteria. So, there's that.

I saw a White Sox writer suggest that this is just a front. The writer suggested that fans will be so upset with the idea of La Russa being the manager that they will be totally fine with Hinch or Cora when the White Sox hire them.

I could see this being the case, because La Russa just doesn't make sense as a manager in this day and age.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

I saw a White Sox writer suggest that this is just a front. The writer suggested that fans will be so upset with the idea of La Russa being the manager that they will be totally fine with Hinch or Cora when the White Sox hire them.

I could see this being the case, because La Russa just doesn't make sense as a manager in this day and age.

Hinch makes more sense to me than LaRussa, especially for a more analytically-minded team. And as far as MLB is concerned, he served his time.

• 2 weeks later...