• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

LaRussa being considered to manage the White Sox

khouse

I honestly don't understand the hate for LaRussa. As long as his influence on the game is limited to his extensive network of connections he's made over a long career, as well as offering his scouting advice, I think you're good. He's been around a long time and has obviously seen a lot. There's some wisdom to be gained by having him around.

Just as long as he isn't making the hires and isn't the GM, or involved in analytics, LaRussa is a valuable commodity. He has his place in the game. Maybe in the dugout, maybe as an advisor.

Edited by Second Base

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

I honestly don't understand the he ate for LaRussa. As long as his influence on the game is limited to his extensive network of connections he's made over a long career, as well as offering his scouting advise, I think you're good. He's been around a long time and has obviously seen a lot. There's some wisdom to be gained by having him around.

Just as long as he isn't making the hires and isn't the GM, or involved in analytics, LaRussa is a valuable commodity.

but that's the nit though.  He was a hot mess in Arizona.  Limited role?  sure.  If he's got substantial influence then no thanks.  

1 minute ago, Dochalo said:

but that's the nit though.  He was a hot mess in Arizona.  Limited role?  sure.  If he's got substantial influence then no thanks.  

For sure. Arizona proved the folly in giving the reigns of an organization over to a man such as himself. 

I think the most valuable work a manager does is in the clubhouse and not so much the dugout. His methods may not go over so well today though, I'm not sure. Maybe he's calmed down a lot, but can't argue with the success he's had as a manager.

I still think his best role is the one the Angels currently have him in, which is to assess a situation and simply offer his advice. Be it in scouting, or player development assignments, or setting up and being present for meetings between big wigs.

As long as he doesn't have the final day, and is just one part of a greater equation, he's good.

He was one if the strong proponents of getting Harold Baines into the HOF and when questioned about it, he had a "how dare you question this" attitude that rubbed the wrong way. He also turned a blind eye to the steroid abuse on his teams.

He just strikes me as one of those guys who thinks their shit don't stink, IMO.

I'm just not a fan.

19 hours ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Animated GIF

Exactly. LaRussa's value has a relatively limited scope. Like tell him to go take a look at a couple of these players and give me your insight. Our go help out at minor league camp for a few days and work with this prospect on something you saw him doing. Or, "hey we're thinking of hiring this guy. Do you know him? Let's set up a dinner and sit down and get to know him."

On 10/12/2020 at 11:46 PM, Second Base said:

I honestly don't understand the hate for LaRussa. As long as his influence on the game is limited to his extensive network of connections he's made over a long career, as well as offering his scouting advice, I think you're good. He's been around a long time and has obviously seen a lot. There's some wisdom to be gained by having him around.

Just as long as he isn't making the hires and isn't the GM, or involved in analytics, LaRussa is a valuable commodity. He has his place in the game. Maybe in the dugout, maybe as an advisor.

Is LaRussa a good scout? I honestly have no idea if he's a good talent evaluator. He certainly traded away a lot of superior talent for inferior talent in his time in AZ.

But to answer the bolded part:

LaRussa has shown through his actions as GM and his comments about moves, that he clearly lacks an understanding of today's game and the markets. He is backwards thinking (and possibly out to prove that his way still works). That combined with Arte's admiration for the old school approach and good ole boys makes LaRussa's presence a constant threat to yield more power and influence in the organization. That part isn't his fault, but Arte isn't going anywhere. 

I don't know Tony or the steps he has taken to get help. I couldn't find anything about it on the internet, but part of apologizing is doing the work to rectify the situation as best you can and making changes. Tony has not done that publicly, I'm not sure he needs to as a person, but for the Angels to hire him after Nick Adenhart I would like to know that he went to treatment, helped out with MADD, or did something that shows he realizes the gravity of his actions. There were plenty of people on this message board who in 2009 were rightly pissed about how unseriously DUI is taken, and TLR was driving so drunk he was passed out behind the wheel at a stoplight. I don't think it's a big factor here, but it means something to me. I'm not saying he should never work, or not even never work for the Angels, it's just I don't like that the team never acknowledged it.

On 10/13/2020 at 1:58 AM, Billy_Ball said:

They didn't consider Mike Scioscia?  The disrespect....

I'm sure there's a bit of satire here, but I'm genuinely surprised that Sosh isn't getting interviews. He had a really good run here. I did find this article about him from last summer (maybe a Craig). Who knew Plashke could write something without coming off like a complete a-hole?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-mike-scioscia-angels-retirement-20190622-story.html

On 10/12/2020 at 11:46 PM, Second Base said:

I agree - La Russa has been successful virtually everywhere he's gone - not sure why he would want to go back to managing again - he could have stayed in St. Louis forever. I hope he stays with us -- he supposedly was assisting in the GM search.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/14/2020 at 10:59 AM, eaterfan said:

Is LaRussa a good scout? I honestly have no idea if he's a good talent evaluator. He certainly traded away a lot of superior talent for inferior talent in his time in AZ.

But to answer the bolded part:

LaRussa has shown through his actions as GM and his comments about moves, that he clearly lacks an understanding of today's game and the markets. He is backwards thinking (and possibly out to prove that his way still works). That combined with Arte's admiration for the old school approach and good ole boys makes LaRussa's presence a constant threat to yield more power and influence in the organization. That part isn't his fault, but Arte isn't going anywhere. 

I don't know Tony or the steps he has taken to get help. I couldn't find anything about it on the internet, but part of apologizing is doing the work to rectify the situation as best you can and making changes. Tony has not done that publicly, I'm not sure he needs to as a person, but for the Angels to hire him after Nick Adenhart I would like to know that he went to treatment, helped out with MADD, or did something that shows he realizes the gravity of his actions. There were plenty of people on this message board who in 2009 were rightly pissed about how unseriously DUI is taken, and TLR was driving so drunk he was passed out behind the wheel at a stoplight. I don't think it's a big factor here, but it means something to me. I'm not saying he should never work, or not even never work for the Angels, it's just I don't like that the team never acknowledged it.

Looks like he got another DUI this year. 

Hopefully he gets the help he needs, but there was 0 reason to have him in this organization.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/30288007/chicago-white-sox-manager-tony-la-russa-charged-dui-stemming-february-arrest-court-docs-show?platform=amp&__twitter_impression=true