• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Qualifying offer will be 18.9 million for Andrelton Simmons

4 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

The risk is Simmons taking the 19 mil QO thinking if he has a great season he could be on the market again the following year with the 2021 overpay offsetting the possible loss of value of the next contract for being a year older.

Or with his injury history, he could get hurt, and lower his value to even being out of baseball altogether.  Again, we've seen it time and again.  Players will take multi year of a guaranteed contract over a one year deal.  Especially later in their careers.

12 minutes ago, Junkballer said:

The risk is Simmons taking the 19 mil QO thinking if he has a great season he could be on the market again the following year with the 2021 overpay offsetting the possible loss of value of the next contract for being a year older.

Also of note.

2022 Free Agent Shortstops.

Trevor Story

Miguel Rojas

Jose Iglesias

Javier Baez

Corey Seager 

Carlos Correa

Francisco Lindor

It's not going to get any better for Simmons to get a long term payday than this year.  

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

He counted as 8 mil vs the cap, that's probably the most the Angels should offer him per year to come back.  I have zero idea what realistic dollar figures are going to look like next year.

I wonder how many agents are going to advise their clients to hold off signing until MLB teams know whether or not they will be allowing fans into games.  Even uglier, try imagining the upheaval if some states open up and others don't.  Would open state teams be willing to offer more?  Its gonna be a trip.

The current salary structure in MLB is not sustainable when there is 0 attendance.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

The current salary structure in MLB is not sustainable when there is 0 attendance.

Agreed.   The current situation makes predicting the off-season impossible IMO.   

@Jeff Fletcher, have you been able to glean any info from players, agents, or teams, regarding how this all may play out?  Looks like you could potentially have a lot of different things to write about thus winter.

And then next year there's a new CBA.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Agreed.   The current situation makes predicting the off-season impossible IMO.   

@Jeff Fletcher, have you been able to glean any info from players, agents, or teams, regarding how this all may play out?  Looks like you could potentially have a lot of different things to write about thus winter.

And then next year there's a new CBA.

Not yet. I’m still waiting for them to have a GM.

I also think no one really knows. 

1 hour ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Not yet. I’m still waiting for them to have a GM.

I also think no one really knows. 

have you interacted with any of the prospective gms?  and from a selfish standpoint, are any of them more inclined to be forthcoming and give you some good stories?  I know Billy was pretty tight lipped.  

8 hours ago, Dochalo said:

have you interacted with any of the prospective gms?  and from a selfish standpoint, are any of them more inclined to be forthcoming and give you some good stories?  I know Billy was pretty tight lipped.  

if i may, doc.

no, @Jeff Fletcher and i have not spoken . . . yet.

hey fletch, how do you feel about vegan asian food? i know a place.

18 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Or with his injury history, he could get hurt, and lower his value to even being out of baseball altogether.  Again, we've seen it time and again.  Players will take multi year of a guaranteed contract over a one year deal.  Especially later in their careers.

i disagree. i think in his particular situation he would jump all over the QO. i would not offer it to him, even if i was open to offering a multiyear deal.

I have no idea how the market will play out this off-season, so I'm just going to base this post on it being "typical". I think it's a decent bet we could get Stroman for less than this per year. We need Stroman more than we need Simmons. 

I love Simmons and I hope we can work something out, but you don't use that large of a chunk of funds on him when you're so desperate for pitching. We won't even get to sniff Bauer's taint if this QO is offered and accepted. 

I understand the point of view that lots of guys want years over dollars, but if Simmons gets a 3 year deal, he's not getting anywhere close to this amount per year. But, I've been wrong before. 

21 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I haven’t been able to confirm anyone as actually being a candidate yet, so I don’t know if the people I’ve interacted with are “prospective GMs” or not. 

I have 4-5 who I’d like to see get the job because I know them. Dombrowski isn’t one of them. 

56 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I haven’t been able to confirm anyone as actually being a candidate yet, so I don’t know if the people I’ve interacted with are “prospective GMs” or not. 

I have 4-5 who I’d like to see get the job because I know them. Dombrowski isn’t one of them. 

Is that because you don't think Dombrowski is right for the job? 

2 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

No. Because I don’t know him. 

All I care about is the GM is someone who will return my calls and tell me what’s going on, and for that I’m better off with one of the guys I already know. 

thanks for the input.  It would certainly make this place very interesting if it were a person with whom you have a good preexisting relationship.  

I'm getting the feeling it's not going to be Dombrowski.  Just a hunch.  I would have thought if he were going to be the guy it would have happened pretty quickly.  For some of the reasons why he'd have fit, it might be why Arte wouldn't want him.  My guess is that he'd want full control and I'm not sure that's who Arte would want.