Jump to content

A possible infielder option... Korean Ha-Seong Kim


Recommended Posts

29 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

Interesting. I had never heard of this guy before. I assume a lot of teams would be in on him but he'll almost certainly be cheaper than Gregorius and Semien. Possibly Simmons.

Yeah he's definitely worth a look if we're truly moving on from Simmons.

At this point I feel like that's a foregone conclusion, i mean would you offer 18M?  I wouldn't and I wanted to keep him previously.  Unless he willing to take a deal that's about that much over a couple of years, we need to move on, spend the money elsewhere. 
I wouldnt mind seeing something like this to keep Fletcher at 2B over SS, assuming of course that the price is right but i cant imagine being anywhere near what the other name guys would cost.
No he wouldnt hit as well as he did there but he also brings speed and gold gloves at age 25 so...  definitely worth a look as far as im concerned.

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, floplag said:

At this point I feel like that's a foregone conclusion, i mean would you offer 18M?  I wouldn't and I wanted to keep him previously.  Unless he willing to take a deal that's about that much over a couple of years, we need to move on, spend the money elsewhere. 
I wouldnt mind seeing something like this to keep Fletcher at 2B over SS, assuming of course that the price is right but i cant imagine being anywhere near what the other name guys would cost.
No he wouldnt hit as well as he did there but he also brings speed and gold gloves at age 25 so...  definitely worth a look as far as im concerned.

Also just remember that the Japanese and Korean posting system is different.  Currently the Japanese is capped at $20 million.

In the Korean system, looks like only 9 players have been posted with 4 successful and Ryu getting the most at $25 million.  But the other three were $12 million (Park Byung Ho 62 games, .191 avg, sent down to AAA and never came back up.  Eventually returned to Korea), $5 million (Jung Ho Kang, 4 years with the Pirates, with very good numbers in the first 2 years in the mid .800 OPS.  then the sexual assaults and dui's came in and he was done), and the latest $101.  Not million or thousand, but $101.  The other 5 were $600k, $25k, $650k, $2 million, $1.5 million.  

Also remember that while the Japanese league is like AAAA.  The Korean is probably more like AA+.  

So while he seems like a talent looking at his stats.  Angels should at least bid.  But would be surprised if it's more than $5 million.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Posting_system_(KBO)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just looking at another thing about Kim that is worrisome.  Height 5'9", weight 167.  Which in Asian terms means he is probably more like 5'7".  In comparison, Simmons is listed at baseball reference at 6'2", 195.  Not saying it can't be done, as Eckstein was 5'6", 170 and Fletcher is 5'9" 185.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gotbeer said:

Just looking at another thing about Kim that is worrisome.  Height 5'9", weight 167.  Which in Asian terms means he is probably more like 5'7".  In comparison, Simmons is listed at baseball reference at 6'2", 195.  Not saying it can't be done, as Eckstein was 5'6", 170 and Fletcher is 5'9" 185.  

Ha-Seong “Freddie” Patek

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Chuckster70 changed the title to A possible infielder option... Korean Ha-Seong Kim
2 hours ago, Second Base said:

Korean hitters have struggled to find much success stateside. Aside if the elite of the elite Japanese hitters, they've struggled too. But their pitchers have certainly had success.

I wonder why that is. I'm guessing the pitching in Korean leagues isn't anywhere close to MLB, while in Japan, it's a bit more equivalent. But that's just my theory.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Just looking at another thing about Kim that is worrisome.  Height 5'9", weight 167.  Which in Asian terms means he is probably more like 5'7".  In comparison, Simmons is listed at baseball reference at 6'2", 195.  Not saying it can't be done, as Eckstein was 5'6", 170 and Fletcher is 5'9" 185.  

And Chone Figgins, Alberto Callaspo.  Ok, never mind Callaspo.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Spin Rate said:

I wonder why that is. I'm guessing the pitching in Korean leagues isn't anywhere close to MLB, while in Japan, it's a bit more equivalent. But that's just my theory.

It's just a different game. American baseball has evolved into this game of 97 mph fastballs, 450 foot HR's and whole lot of strikeouts. My father in law has been a diehard Padres fan since the team's inception, he's seen it all in the game and even he is awed by the sheer physicality and athleticism of today's ball players. 

Most Japanese and Korean players can catch up with the velocity and are good with pitch recognition, but they really need to get a hold of one to drive it out of the park. They can't accidentally drive one out the way Joey Gallo does. 

Shohei was a unicorn in so many ways. The two way thing obviously, but his ability to drive the ball, and gallop around the bases at the speed that he does he completely unheard of out there. 

I do think there are a lot of David Fletcher type of players in Asia though. Guys that could come across the pond and hit .280 here with solid defense. But not much in the way of HR or stolen bases. 

But as far as pitchers go, despite average fastball velocity climbing, is been proven time and again that movement, selection and well placed pitches lead to success. Maddux is the gold standard but even guys like Keuchel. I think most Japanese and Korean pitchers that find success there will also find it here. They don't throw as hard there, but they're more intuitive than most American and Dominican pitchers.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...