• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jared Walsh made the All-Rookie Baseball America team

Chuck

Jared Walsh: Angels 2020 Rookie Of The Year

By Mike DiGiovanna on October 1, 2020

As a 39th-round pick out of Georgia in 2015, Jared Walsh was not a bonus baby or the most highly touted rookie in his own dugout. That honor clearly belonged to Jo Adell, the 10th overall pick in 2017.

But the 27-year-old first baseman who signed for $3,000 as a college senior could garner American League Rookie of the Year votes after a torrid September.

Walsh hit .293/.324/.646 wit nine home runs and 26 RBIs in 32 games. From Sept. 8-16, he homered in six of seven games.

After forcing his way into a platoon with aging first baseman Albert Pujols in early September, the lefthanded-hitting Walsh emerged as a viable replacement for Pujols, whose 10-year contract expires after the 2021 season.

“I’m telling you, it’s not a fluke,” Angels manager Joe Maddon said after Walsh hit a 450-foot grand slam to center field to break open an 8-5 win against the Rangers on Sept. 21.

“He’s that good. His hands are that strong, and the way he starts the bat . . . he hit (36 homers) in Triple-A last year, so he knows how to do that. When he sees his pitch, he’s not missing.”

Walsh, who has also dabbled with pitching, opened the season with the Angels but after going 0-for-10 spent most of August at the alternate training site. The Angels recalled him on Aug. 28.

Then some of the mechanical adjustments suggested by hitting coaches and all-star teammates Pujols, Mike Trout and Anthony Rendon began kicking in.

Walsh replaced his high leg kick with a toe tap. Instead of wiggling his bat behind his head and dropping his hands nearly to his waist as he loaded his swing, Walsh adopted a more quiet pre-swing setup, his hands rarely straying too far from his left shoulder.

The tinkering created a smoother path to the ball and allowed Walsh to square up balls more consistently.

“Last year, I had a lot going on,” Walsh said. “It worked sometimes, but it wasn’t consistent enough. There were some timing issues that I wanted to address. As hitters, we build habits, good and bad. For me, it was trying to be more direct to the ball, a little more efficient.”

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/jared-walsh-angels-2020-rookie-of-the-year/

Speaking of ancient Angel firstbasemen... Don't forget "big Klew." Quintessential classic power hitting firstbaseman.Ted Kluszewski. 15 Homer's in 290 plate appearances during the first Angel expansion season. Even though his prime was before my time I collected vintage cards, and I loved his baseball cards with his sleeves cut off. Even in this Angel picture in his final year. He had some great years with the Reds in the fifties. A lifetime .298 average, 279 career homers  over three decades. Not too shabby!download.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Duren, Duren said:

Speaking of ancient Angel firstbasemen... Don't forget "big Klew." Quintessential classic power hitting firstbaseman.Ted Kluszewski. 15 Homer's in 290 at bats during the first Angel expansion season. Even though his prime was before my time I collected vintage cards, and I loved his baseball cards with his sleeves cut off. Even in this Angel picture in his final year. He had some great years with the Reds in the fifties.

download.jpeg

he was your friends dad that had permission to hit you when you did something stupid.

He also hated communism, and felt lucky to make enough money to eat beef more than once a week. 

And owned dogs that pissed off his neighbors.

That picture is also fake, because he grew up in black and white.

1 hour ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

he was your friends dad that had permission to hit you when you did something stupid.

He also hated communism, and felt lucky to make enough money to eat beef more than once a week. 

And owned dogs that pissed off his neighbors.

That picture is also fake, because he grew up in black and white.

He was your middle school gym teacher, who also taught Health.