• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

MLB 2021 Free Agents (Starting Pitching & Relievers)

Chuck

On 10/6/2020 at 12:43 PM, Hubs said:

The problem with this staff is with the bottom 20%- 40% of the staff, not with the rest. That % of the staff is Julio Teheran, Hanse Robles, Jacob Barnes, Hoby Milner, Jose Suarez, Dillon Peters, Luke Bard, Jose Quijada, and Kyle Keller. 

Those 10 pitchers who had 12 starts, 20 games finished, pitched 100.2 innings and gave up 102 ER. They were 2-11, with 103 K to 51 BB and a 9.12 ERA.

The other 15 pitchers made 48 starts, finished 39 games, had 424.2 IP and gave up 195 ER. They were 24-23 with a 4.13 ERA.

Those ten guys can effectively be replaced by 1 Ace starter and two pen guys who are reliable. There will still be minor league journeymen and call ups and such, we won’t just use 18 pitchers, but I don’t think any of the names I said are back next season, but with the exception of Suarez, who will spend the vast majority of the time in AAA but could get called up. Quijada could be back too I suppose, since he’s cheap.

If you sub in Bauer and Hendriks and say Blake Treinan, you’d have hd a 35-31 club with a 3.69 ERA.

Sub in 2018 Ohtani for Sandoval and 2020 Ohtani and that drops to 3.43 and a 38-27 record. 

With the wave of non-tenders I can see a scenario where they replace these arms and hope Callaway coaxes the best out of these guys and the staff could be a quick turnaround. 

if a new gm could make that happen, he'd be hailed as the conquering hero.

On 10/6/2020 at 3:02 PM, budice0 said:

SPs I'd highlight for the Halos Rotation

Trevor Bauer

Marcus Stroman

Rick Porcello

Kevin Gausman

Drew Smyly

Mike Minor

Masahiro Tanaka

Garrett Richards

Mike Fiers

Taijuan Walker

Brett Anderson

Tommy Milone

Tyler Chatwood

Trevor Cahill

James Paxton

José Quintana

Homer Bailey

nobody noticed that little nugget.

could you imagine a new GM bringing him in as one of his first moves? it'd be entertaining to read here, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, cvdog said:

Just spend the money on Bauer. He'd be our first #1 in forever. Bundy can pretend to be a 2. Then Heaney, Canning & Barria fill it out. And Detmers in the wings. 9th pick obviously a pitcher. 

Yeah, that'd be my ideal plan.  Spend just about all of our free agency money on Bauer, then use whatever left we have to find a lotto-ticket SP who can absorb some innings as needed.  Maybe we'll get lucky with Ohtani and he'll flash SP1/SP2 potential again, and then suddenly, we have a very formidable top 3, with solid depth beyond that.

12 minutes ago, cvdog said:

The 9th pick could land us Leiter or Cannon. I'm never expecting Ohtani to ever be a good pitcher. Too many distractions. Just work on his swing and maybe you can turn him into an .280 hitting OF'er someday?

I don't think there's any chance Leiter drops to us.  I am not expecting Ohtani to be good, but the potential is definitely there.  He's still very young, so I wouldn't close the book on him yet.  I would not plan on him being a key part, but I like would not be surprised if he does recover and pitch well, either.

Even without him, Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Barria, Canning, Sandoval, and Suarez should be pretty good.

On 10/7/2020 at 8:25 AM, Chuckster70 said:

Check out what Drew Smyly did this year down the stretch. Increased velo and a sharp breaking ball saw him K a bunch of guys in limited starts this year.

As like a 2nd or 3rd option behind guys like Bauer, Stroman, Gausman for the backend of the rotation I'd take a flier on him.

What do you mean “down the stretch”?  The last 60 games?