• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Cancer

4 hours ago, mtangelsfan said:

In the last four months my dad, my boss’s wife and an old family friend have died.  It is the scourge of all scourges.

I lost my mother to it at age 57. Three months from the diagnosis to the funeral. I feel your pain. May you find comfort in your time of great loss.

Edited by Vegas Halo Fan

• 6 months later...

Was looking around here for the old thread about Dads, and found this one. (If anyone can bump the Dads one, please do)

Just lost my Dad from Cancer... he joins my Grandpa, Aunt and Uncle from it

Day after we get news his buddy down the street, who retired on Friday of last week (at 70) is stage 4

Of all the bad shit ive seen in life, this was the worse to watch. We had him home on hospice and watched him go. Im glad we were there with him, but Ill never shake having to go through that, ever.

Spend time with your parents if theyre still around, gents. We're all on borrowed time.

Was going through old pictures, looking for some of him. Dont have anywhere near enough. Have tons with people i havent talked to in years, and dont miss. Idiot friends i grew apart from, old girlfriends, etc etc. None of them are gonna make you cry when theyre gone... dont get too busy for the ones who will

12 minutes ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Was looking around here for the old thread about Dads, and found this one. (If anyone can bump the Dads one, please do)

Day after we get news his buddy down the street, who retired on Friday of last week (at 70) is stage 4

Of all the bad shit ive seen in life, this was the worse to watch. We had him home on hospice and watched him go. Im glad we were there with him, but Ill never shake having to go through that, ever.

Spend time with your parents if theyre still around, gents. We're all on borrowed time.

Was going through old pictures, looking for some of him. Dont have anywhere near enough. Have tons with people i havent talked to in years, and dont miss. Idiot friends i grew apart from, old girlfriends, etc etc. None of them are gonna make you cry when theyre gone... dont get too busy for the ones who will

Sorry to hear about this. It's truly awful and I'm thankful everyday that both my parents are still around and healthy for their ages. I know their time is limited and I try to spend as much time with them as I can for the reasons you've stated. 

55 minutes ago, True Grich said:

Extremely sorry for your loss @ten ocho recon scout.  I've been bed side when my dad passed, my mom and my father-in-law. Thankful I was there for all 3, but like you said, it's something you never shake for sure.  Wishing you some peace during this time.

Cant even imagine having to do that 3 times....

5 hours ago, ten ocho recon scout said:

Condolences to you TORS.  Losing those close to us is hard to describe.  That pain, that loss, unlike just about anything else.

Your description of what you're going through really hit the nail on the head, really tapping into what many of us have felt but couldn't put into words so well.  It's funny, I was just having a discussion about family drama with a few friends and said something along the lines of "I feel like I like my friends more because I got to choose them.  Family, for many, can be these people that you spent too much time around, sometimes so much that you build up this distain for them and had no choice in the matter.  And then the end comes and you begin to recognize that you've collected all these memories but not enough evidence (pics) and you've got pics of things that didn't last.  You'll cry for some of your friends but such a small percentage of those you call friends in life will earn that.  

I'm the youngest of 15.  My parents have both passed on and I have so little to remember them by.  Most of those memories are "owned" by my older siblings.  Your story will likely inspire me to reach and see if I can obtain some copies of my own memories.

3 hours ago, Blarg said:

After going through this with my father, then a year later with my mother, all I can say is I hope my son's never have this experience. Better they find out I drowned in a kayak accident while fishing than go through the end of life protocols at a bedside. 

When we got the terminal news and brought my Dad home, the first thing I did is reach out to my friends who knew him growing up. Guys i havent seen in 20 years dropped everything to come which was really touching.

My best friend growing up lost his Dad to a heart attack a few years ago. I told him how sorry I felt for him, and mentioned how lucky I am, that I at least got to spend some time w my Dad before he goes

My buddy tells me not so fast. His father in law went at home, on hospice. He said thats almost harder, because you watch it happen slowly.

And youve been there (with a few others in this thread)... the process isnt nice at all.... I stopped drinking more or less more than a year ago.... drank everyday the past 6 weeks, just to vet through it.

Im very thankful I had some good times with him. Was able to make him smile and laugh a few times, get some pics of him and my Mom

But once it got worse (from already terrible) that was bad times..... you get to the point where you start wanting them to go

Especially the last day... the last hours... the last half hour...

Brutal, and I hope to never have to do that again.