• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Will Angels trim payroll for 2021?

16 minutes ago, Erstad Grit said:

I think the complete opposite. If he was financially stingy asmus and eppler would still be here. 

He stopped paying so much of the scouting staff and minor leaguers.  I bet whatever GM comes in isn't allowed to do much, which will probably lead to some terrible trades.  Especially since they couldn't do any scouting.

30 minutes ago, nate said:

He stopped paying so much of the scouting staff and minor leaguers.  I bet whatever GM comes in isn't allowed to do much, which will probably lead to some terrible trades.  Especially since they couldn't do any scouting.

What were they supposed to scout? 

2 hours ago, nate said:

Then your argument is more about allocation of money not stingy-ness of money. 

No idea what the Angels plans are but depending on what you read ticket sales and concessions account for over a third of gross revenue.  As mentioned between the uncertainty of 2021 and it being the last season of the current CBA I'd be surprised to see many teams increase their payroll but stranger things have happened. 

On 10/3/2020 at 3:51 PM, Lazorko Saves said:

I think the person making the more extraordinary claim is the one who needs to back it up.

The idea that teams selling zero tickets, zero parking spots, zero beers, zero hotdogs, zero fancy sushi in a plastic box, zero buckets of Cathy's Cookies, etc for an entire year...and yet still won't see a significant drop in revenues is a rather extraordinary claim.

I know there's more per-game and playoff TV revenue, but that would be a lot of heavy lifting by a marginal TV revenue boost.

That said, I don't have an opinion on if the Angels will cut payroll also.  Maybe, maybe not.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/a-look-at-the-gains-and-losses-by-team-of-a-season-without-fans/

4 hours ago, nate said:

My guess is Arte is trying to cut spending in areas that aren't as visible to the fanbase (scouts, analytics, etc), but will likely continue to spend on payroll.

Unfortunately, if Arte's goal is truly to win, he needs his closest advisors to let him know the most important areas to invest in are probably FO personnel, scouting, analytics, etc..

1 hour ago, Dtwncbad said:

Wait, if teams are going to trim payroll, wouldn’t that mean far more players are attainable in trades?  So this should be good news for teams that want to win.

Carpino made a statement during the presser to the affect of “Arte likes to take advantage of opportunities.”

22 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Carpino made a statement during the presser to the affect of “Arte likes to take advantage of opportunities.”

And if Arte:

1). does nothing, he is a greedy owner that doesn’t spend money.

2). does something and it doesn’t work out, the he is a buffoon owner who meddles too much and wastes money.

3). does something and it works out, he will be the owner that didn’t want to make the move because he is greedy, and had to be talked into it to overcome his meddling.

Edited by Dtwncbad