• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

RESULTS: YOU Build the 2020 Angels // YOUR Offseason Plan

totdprods

Save money to burn Pujols contract, sign nobody but bullpen relief, give Ohtani a shot at 3 or 4 spot in the rotation.  If he fails like Teheran in his first 5 or 6 starts or gets a season ending injury, look at acquiring a starting pitcher via trade.  The core team is very good and is more than capable of competing next season.  

43 minutes ago, Angel said:

Save money to burn Pujols contract, sign nobody but bullpen relief, give Ohtani a shot at 3 or 4 spot in the rotation.  If he fails like Teheran in his first 5 or 6 starts or gets a season ending injury, look at acquiring a starting pitcher via trade.  The core team is very good and is more than capable of competing next season.  

Weren't you the guy yesterday that said we were screwing Ohtani and that he is going to the Dodgers and win a world series?

In all seriousness I think we have a very good foundation.  I would look to  sign a frontline starter, a reliever, and look to trade Barria and a couple of our better prospects  a good pitcher.

We dont need money to buy out Pujols.   His money is spent regardless.  We need money for his replacement.   Walsh is minimum wage.

Edited by stormngt

32 minutes ago, totdprods said:

It was genuinely surprising and interesting to see how...bad we all were. And how tunnel-vision we get. And I say that with nothing but respect and admiration for all the work and thought we do put into these. 

One of the reasons I rarely predict trades and usually avoid trade speculation is that it is just too variable. Free agents to target is one thing, but trades are impossible. Who predicted the Simmons trade? Or even Upton? Too random.

I think we can safely say that the Angels will sign at least one free agent starter. But whether that is Bauer or Richards, who knows.

29 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Weren't you the guy yesterday that said we were stewing Ohtani and that he is going to the Dodgers and win a world series?

In all seriousness I think we have a ery good foundation.  I would look to  sign a frontline starter, a reliever, and look tpontrade Barria and a couple of our better prospects  a good pitcher.

We dont need money to buy out Pujols.   His money is spent regardless.  We need money for his replacement.   Walsh is minimum wage.

It was a sarcastic retort for me not getting my way with you all.  I'm a little bitch.

10 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

One of the reasons I rarely predict trades and usually avoid trade speculation is that it is just too variable. Free agents to target is one thing, but trades are impossible. Who predicted the Simmons trade? Or even Upton? Too random.

I think we can safely say that the Angels will sign at least one free agent starter. But whether that is Bauer or Richards, who knows.

Of course, but that’s also part of the fun of this exercise. It holds us accountable, to a degree, for just one little moment, especially when most offseason threads devolve into a different plan per person daily. I think this also helps make folks realize that often, we need to be thinking outside the box more. Difficult to do without having actual data on hand like a real MLB office, but pencilling in a combo of Rendon, Wheeler, or Grandal didn’t do much at the end of the day. It was moves like Bundy, Stassi, Andriese, Mayers, Goodwin, and La Stella that collectively need to happen in addition to actually tilt the needle. 

2 hours ago, totdprods said:

It was genuinely surprising and interesting to see how...bad we all were. And how tunnel-vision we get. And I say that with nothing but respect and admiration for all the work and thought we do put into these. 

I wouldn’t say we are bad. We have hits and misses, just like real GMs. The Rangers didn’t expect Kluber’s arm to fall off. Nor did the Nationals expect Starsburg to have his issues. I am sure the Tigers would have sold high on Boyd if they knew he’d fall off a cliff, and I am sure the Orioles would have held on to Bundy if they knew what he would do. Just so much uncertainty.

3 minutes ago, wopphil said:

I wouldn’t say we are bad. We have hits and misses, just like real GMs. The Rangers didn’t expect Kluber’s arm to fall off. Nor did the Nationals expect Starsburg to have his issues. I am sure the Tigers would have sold high on Boyd if they knew he’d fall off a cliff, and I am sure the Orioles would have held on to Bundy if they knew what he would do. Just so much uncertainty.

Bad might have been a little harsh, but it was a little surprising and disappointing to see, as a whole, none of us really managed to hit it out of the park. Granted, all of our team’s struggles and successes won’t be determined by who we brought in - the team already in place and their struggles doomed us for the most part - but seeing almost every plan short of the ones put up by@Second Base and @popo85 basically wind up being no better than what we had was sobering. Props to those guys for picking good pitching.

As you said, shows how random and uncertain things are. 

That’s part of why I wanted to do a thread like this though too. We debate every idea to death ad nauseum every winter, it becomes a little echo chambery. These threads should present anyone an opportunity to just plop down a plan where they can go out on a limb or think outside the box and offer up a potentially radical different club, free from the discussions of what is likely or what should be done, to conceive a team of their own design and see how it stacks up with others. 

I am going to hold off starting the 2021 Build Your Own thread until after the WS. It will get buried and we all deserve more time to research and strategize.

AS A PREVIEW I will post the guidelines and notes I’m working on so those can start thinking inside the parameters. I’ll also gladly take feedback.

Again - this is a preview of the guidelines. No 2021 plans here yet. 

You’ll get three chances to revise your plans - edit your post or quote yourself with your changes, but please keep your original text existing somewhere for reference. Here are the times in which you’ll get a chance to revise - I won’t keep time, but try to revise within 24 hours to align with quick-pivot nature of the MLB offseason.

1. When the non-tender free agents hit the market - a whole new flood of potential options that we can’t quite project will become free agents 
  2. When Bauer signs - much like Cole last year, I anticipate he will be the first name listed on most plans. He is the lone FA signee that will have this caveat this winter.
  3. Sometime late in the offseason - late January or even February, once most of the names have signed but a few remain. You’ll have the option of ticking on anyone unsigned for a late-winter boost. 

Try to be specific as you can in trades - feel free to use baseballtradevalues.com as a way to measure validity. I’m not crazy about that site or the values it uses, but it does hold everyone to a similar standard so it’s useful for this.

Feel free to offer contingencies, i.e, pivoting to Gausman if Bauer doesn’t sign, but try to limit yourself to a couple options, maybe a Plan B or C, for the sake of the exercise, and keep it organized.

Think outside the box - signing Bauer or Stroman are nice ideas, but names like Dylan Bundy, Mike Mayers, and Max Stassi were some of the biggest additions to the 2020 Angels over their 2019 counterparts. No one saw that coming - and that’s part of the fun. So, go out on a limb here or there.

We will use the $40m to spend figure @Angelsjunkyhad in his thread. If we find out Arte will spend more or less, I’ll bump it and adjust if it makes sense. 

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

I don't think people really give a squat about your posts to be honest.  

Why? Because I am one of the only Angels fans on here who knows that a 60 game season wasn't nearly enough to throw this team away, even though they were playing the best baseball of September in nearly a decade and on pace to easily grab a WC spot in a full season...  I guess Yelich is garbage too.  You are talking down on a baseball guru and pushing me aside, it's a shame you already tipped your hand.  Hopefully I changed your mind, but it doesn't matter, you've been 'told' to hate me via consensus

1 hour ago, Angel said:

Why? Because I am one of the only Angels fans on here who knows that a 60 game season wasn't nearly enough to throw this team away, even though they were playing the best baseball of September in nearly a decade and on pace to easily grab a WC spot in a full season...  I guess Yelich is garbage too.  You are talking down on a baseball guru and pushing me aside, it's a shame you already tipped your hand.  Hopefully I changed your mind, but it doesn't matter, you've been 'told' to hate me via consensus

Nope.  That's not it.  

12 hours ago, totdprods said:

I am going to hold off starting the 2021 Build Your Own thread until after the WS. It will get buried and we all deserve more time to research and strategize.

AS A PREVIEW I will post the guidelines and notes I’m working on so those can start thinking inside the parameters. I’ll also gladly take feedback.

Again - this is a preview of the guidelines. No 2021 plans here yet. 

You’ll get three chances to revise your plans - edit your post or quote yourself with your changes, but please keep your original text existing somewhere for reference. Here are the times in which you’ll get a chance to revise - I won’t keep time, but try to revise within 24 hours to align with quick-pivot nature of the MLB offseason.

1. When the non-tender free agents hit the market - a whole new flood of potential options that we can’t quite project will become free agents 
  2. When Bauer signs - much like Cole last year, I anticipate he will be the first name listed on most plans. He is the lone FA signee that will have this caveat this winter.
  3. Sometime late in the offseason - late January or even February, once most of the names have signed but a few remain. You’ll have the option of ticking on anyone unsigned for a late-winter boost. 

Try to be specific as you can in trades - feel free to use baseballtradevalues.com as a way to measure validity. I’m not crazy about that site or the values it uses, but it does hold everyone to a similar standard so it’s useful for this.

Feel free to offer contingencies, i.e, pivoting to Gausman if Bauer doesn’t sign, but try to limit yourself to a couple options, maybe a Plan B or C, for the sake of the exercise, and keep it organized.

Think outside the box - signing Bauer or Stroman are nice ideas, but names like Dylan Bundy, Mike Mayers, and Max Stassi were some of the biggest additions to the 2020 Angels over their 2019 counterparts. No one saw that coming - and that’s part of the fun. So, go out on a limb here or there.

We will use the $40m to spend figure @Angelsjunkyhad in his thread. If we find out Arte will spend more or less, I’ll bump it and adjust if it makes sense. 

I think 40mil is very optimistic.  We have ~119mil on the books for next year prior to arbitration.  Eyeballing the players due for arbitration, I think we can assume an absolute bare minimum of 35mil added, but 40mil I think is more likely, putting us at ~159mil.  I would be surprised to see Arte spend more than 190mil on total payroll.  I believe we would have paid 184mil in total payroll this year had a full season occurred, per Cot's contracts.

Excellent post an analysis, although comparing the shortened season like made some people higher or lower than they otherwise might have been but under the circumstances its fair. 
I dont think our catching combo performs the same as Grandal over 160 games, but in the smaller sample i cant argue the summary. 
Looking forward to doing the same for next season, my plan with be very different this time around as i have much higher hopes for some of the names out there possibly being realistic than i did last season.