• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marcus Stroman tweets

Billy_Ball

6 minutes ago, ukyah said:

you guys should feel free to ban this dude. he's obviously just trolling the site. he's not even expressing any consistent opinions. it's just whatever to get a rise out of you all. 

I agree, ukyah is in it for a rise.  Aways out to get me

4 hours ago, Angel said:

So if we sign a starter Ohtani won't get a shot?  Who gets canned? Canning?

I'm confused, since Ohtani should fill Teheran's spot, who else deserves the axe?  Nobody.. but apparently it's Ohtani.  I guess he'll be a star on the Dodgers, they'll make him Babe fucking Ruth.

FA starter, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria and Ohtani

Why would Ohtani lose his job again?

4 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Cot's contract link:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VGOfP7l110-tNq5CX0Gp3NCnDqj1MwOQOfanxNZGBdI/edit#gid=1520401900

I'd say you are largely correct.  Our CBT is 133mil before arbitration.  Eyeballing the players due for arbitration, and I think we'll spend around 35-40mil, if we DFA Robles.  So - our CBT is 168-173mil, and the payroll is likely around 153-158mil.

I think Arte will actually spend this winter, given his impatience and the desire to turn things around.  Adding Bauer may not be in the cards, as he's probably looking at ~30mil AAV in terms of his contract (or higher if he does the one year deal thing), but I think we should reasonably afford a 20mil/yr-ish caliber SP.

If Arte isn't willing to spend this year than he should never had fired Eppler.

4 hours ago, Angel said:

If you don't give Ohtani a starting spot he will start looking elsewhere, seriously I feel like some of you genuinely hate the guy or want him on your Dodgers.

Well, I told you so remember that.  Perhaps it's best for Ohtani to move on, imagine what we could get for him?  A bunch of way less exciting players, that's for sure.

This is idiotic!  Every year the Angels have given Ohtani a opportunity to be a starting pitcher.  When the Angel's have done that they have gone with a six man rotation.  The Angel's finished the year with four quality pitchers and Tehran.  

Ohtani will be 5 and starting pitcher to be named later is 6.  

Ok....can we calm down now 

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

When you say you buy Barria's breakout,. what do you see his breakout as?  Do you see him repeating his 2018/2020 seasons? I want to believe it but his inability to miss bats always leaves me hesitant. Is his ability to generate soft contact legit? He is in the 94th percentile in barrel percentage.  But there are always those guys that outpitch their peripherals. I mean he's been doing since entering the organization. I am cautiously optimistic but can see him settling in as a solid backend starter and provide innings at a 4.25ish ERA. If he is more of the guy from 2018/2020 then I think that's game-changer for our rotation.

I think 4.25 ERA is his floor.

48 minutes ago, Second Base said:

It's all of it, pitch selection, location, changing speeds, making small adjustments every inning, every AB. For what it's worth, his FIP actually resembled what I expect he can do moving forward. Mid to upper 3's ERA, lots of innings, not many walks or K's. Emotionally balanced, even cerebral later in his career. Not so much crafty as much as he will use the right pitch in the right spot to minimize what the batter can do with it and trust his defense. Very similar to many coming Japanese starters in the NPB actually, which I still insist is the most entertaining and purest brand of baseball in the world. But back to Barria, never spectacular, but pretty steady #4 starter. Not left handed, but a Mark Buehrle type.

That's what I envision. 

Thanks for the response. It's funny you mention the Japanese starters because I've comped him to someone like Hiroki Kuroda coming into his rookie season. Would love for that to happen.

5 hours ago, Angel said:

If you don't give Ohtani a starting spot he will start looking elsewhere, seriously I feel like some of you genuinely hate the guy or want him on your Dodgers.

Well, I told you so remember that.  Perhaps it's best for Ohtani to move on, imagine what we could get for him?  A bunch of way less exciting players, that's for sure.

You do know no one takes anything you say seriously, right?

2 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I agree yo save money Robles, Ramirez, Andriese will not be back. Bedrosian I'm not sure of always ends up on IL. Middleton I keep. Milner I let go. I bring back Pena, Sandoval (if he is not in rotation) Buttrey, Mayers and fill in the rest.

I think they'll give Barnes another shot as well.  Strong K rate and good FIP even though his results weren't great.  Good at rolling ground balls.  He might not stick but my guess is that he'll get a roster spot for awhile.  No options though which kinda stinks.  

Milner sucks.  Andriese is probably a reasonably useful swing man for the price.  Noe isn't gonna cost you much.  

Mayers, Pena, Buttrey Barnes, Middleton, and probably Bedrosian although he could be a trade candidate.  

Depending what they do with the rotation, I think I'd have Sandoval start in the minors.  

I think they need three pen pieces.  A front line guy, someone solid, and then a flyer.  The flyer being one of those waiver pickups or a guy that is still around in late Jan who you can get for cheap.  

Then you've got Reyes, Quijada, Keller, Bard, and a few others who also have options that you can start in AAA as depth.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

It's all of it, pitch selection, location, changing speeds, making small adjustments every inning, every AB. For what it's worth, his FIP actually resembled what I expect he can do moving forward. Mid to upper 3's ERA, lots of innings, not many walks or K's. Emotionally balanced, even cerebral later in his career. Not so much crafty as much as he will use the right pitch in the right spot to minimize what the batter can do with it and trust his defense. Very similar to many coming Japanese starters in the NPB actually, which I still insist is the most entertaining and purest brand of baseball in the world. But back to Barria, never spectacular, but pretty steady #4 starter. Not left handed, but a Mark Buehrle type.

That's what I envision. 

Not sure I have as much confidence in Barria as you going forward.  I think he's gonna have struggles with the long ball that will balloon his results on a yearly basis.  Maybe he'll surprise me and keep the ball in the yard like he did this year but it's a concern I have.  His k rate is actually decent.  not sure why the assumption is that he doesn't miss bats.  It's not great but certainly not too bad.  He a #5 for me.  If he performs better than that then great.  But if there is opportunity to upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate.  

18 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Not sure I have as much confidence in Barria as you going forward.  I think he's gonna have struggles with the long ball that will balloon his results on a yearly basis.  Maybe he'll surprise me and keep the ball in the yard like he did this year but it's a concern I have.  His k rate is actually decent.  not sure why the assumption is that he doesn't miss bats.  It's not great but certainly not too bad.  He a #5 for me.  If he performs better than that then great.  But if there is opportunity to upgrade, I wouldn't hesitate.  

I am not too keen on all the advanced metrics for pitchers but does a 25th percentile on whiff% mean that batters just aren't swinging and missing at his pitches and are making contact a good amount of the time? That combined with a 94th percentile barrel% which could be an outlier mean he could be getting a little lucky in terms along the lines of your thinking of the long ball?

7 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

I am not too keen on all the advanced metrics for pitchers but does a 25th percentile on whiff% mean that batters just aren't swinging and missing at his pitches and are making contact a good amount of the time? That combined with a 94th percentile barrel% which could be an outlier mean he could be getting a little lucky in terms along the lines of your thinking of the long ball?

could be or he's just good at getting weak contact.  Even thought he's not a strikeout artist, his peripherals are pretty much in line with his results this year.  But what you mention is part of why I'm not as high on him as some.  He's a fly ball pitcher who relies on weak contact so yeah, I think there could be an element of luck keeping the ball in the yard.  If he qualified, he'd have one of the best hr/fb rates in baseball.  Maybe it's sustainable.  I hope it is, but I kinda doubt it.  

1 hour ago, Bronson said:

You do know no one takes anything you say seriously, right?

I don't care, I am expressing an opinion that is unique, but I'm not a troll.  I've had very productive and fun conversations on this site, I'm sorry some of you only look at the bad in me.  I won't be going anywhere anytime soon so you better get used to me, in this account or another, or get on with it and put me on ignore.

3 hours ago, Dochalo said:

I think they'll give Barnes another shot as well.  Strong K rate and good FIP even though his results weren't great.  Good at rolling ground balls.  He might not stick but my guess is that he'll get a roster spot for awhile.  No options though which kinda stinks.  

Milner sucks.  Andriese is probably a reasonably useful swing man for the price.  Noe isn't gonna cost you much.  

Mayers, Pena, Buttrey Barnes, Middleton, and probably Bedrosian although he could be a trade candidate.  

Depending what they do with the rotation, I think I'd have Sandoval start in the minors.  

I think they need three pen pieces.  A front line guy, someone solid, and then a flyer.  The flyer being one of those waiver pickups or a guy that is still around in late Jan who you can get for cheap.  

Then you've got Reyes, Quijada, Keller, Bard, and a few others who also have options that you can start in AAA as depth.  

Unfortunately, given our financial situation, I can't really see much, if any, money being spent on the bullpen.

I think what we'll really need to hope is that Buttrey can return back to form after working with Callaway + co this offseason.  He was very good in 2018 and 2019, and the potential is there, but he just fell flat this year.

If Mayers can maintain his form, he's probably our closer moving forward, as he was one of the most valuable relievers this year.  Pena was solid as a setup man, and if Buttrey can regain some of his previous form, then that's 3 solid backend relievers.  Andriese, after he made some adjustments, actually looked fairly good, too.

The potential is there for our relievers.  Yeah, ideally we could use more, but useful relievers can be found from all sorts of places (as we saw with Mayers this year, Robles last year, etc), so I think our new GM/President has to cast a wide net and just try to get a bunch of arms and hope a few pan out.

8 hours ago, Erstad Grit said:
12 hours ago, Ariamus said:

Stroman is a #3 starter, at best...we already have a whole bunch of those guys.

2017 and 2019 he was so much better than you are giving him credit for. 

I'm not giving him credit for 2017 or 2019...I'm giving him credit for what he is now. I live in Jersey so I see a lot of the Blue Jays as the play the Yankees 19 times a year. I also see a lot of the Mets. And my observations compel me to conclude that some Halos fans' regard for the guy is woefully misguided.

Stroman had a very good 2017; 145 ERA+ and 5.2 bWAR. It was a bonafide all-star season. His 2019 (132 & 3.2) was a borderline all-star season and he actually got picked for the game. But beyond these two seasons, he's been average at best. Also, he's only topped 200 IP twice in his career and the last time was '17. He'll be 30 early into the 2021 season so there's no reason to believe his better days are ahead of him rather than behind.

Don't get me wrong...Stroman is probably still as good and perhaps better than anyone the Angels currently have. But I fear he's going to get overpaid and he is, at best, a middle of the rotation starter. If the Angels are going to overpay for a starting pitcher, how about they do so with Bauer?

Oh, and one more thing...I would have no problem with the club signing Stroman. As long as they also sign Bauer. 🙂

12 hours ago, Angel said:

I'd love to see Ohtani succeed as a two-way player but I'm concerned he ever will. I do think they should give him another shot in spring training to be a pitcher but I have my doubts. His velocity issues in the handful of starts he made this year are a cause for concern. An arm injury immediately following a return from Tommy John surgery is much more so.

I wonder if the best thing might be to give him a first-baseman's or corner outfielder's glove and turn him into a full-time position player.

6 hours ago, Angel said:

I don't care, I am expressing an opinion that is unique, but I'm not a troll.  I've had very productive and fun conversations on this site, I'm sorry some of you only look at the bad in me.  I won't be going anywhere anytime soon so you better get used to me, in this account or another, or get on with it and put me on ignore.

Serious question: If you're not a troll, why did you have to change names? 

1 hour ago, Ariamus said:

I'm not giving him credit for 2017 or 2019...I'm giving him credit for what he is now. I live in Jersey so I see a lot of the Blue Jays as the play the Yankees 19 times a year. I also see a lot of the Mets. And my observations compel me to conclude that some Halos fans' regard for the guy is woefully misguided.

Stroman had a very good 2017; 145 ERA+ and 5.2 bWAR. It was a bonafide all-star season. His 2019 (132 & 3.2) was a borderline all-star season and he actually got picked for the game. But beyond these two seasons, he's been average at best. Also, he's only topped 200 IP twice in his career and the last time was '17. He'll be 30 early into the 2021 season so there's no reason to believe his better days are ahead of him rather than behind.

Don't get me wrong...Stroman is probably still as good and perhaps better than anyone the Angels currently have. But I fear he's going to get overpaid and he is, at best, a middle of the rotation starter. If the Angels are going to overpay for a starting pitcher, how about they do so with Bauer?

Oh, and one more thing...I would have no problem with the club signing Stroman. As long as they also sign Bauer. 🙂

Stroman is an upgrade with or without Bauer. I feel Bauer will be going to a contender like Dodgers (I hope I'm Wrong). Stroman and Robbie Ray would help rotation as you cannot count on Ohtanin.

12 hours ago, Angels 1961 said:

I agree yo save money Robles, Ramirez, Andriese will not be back. Bedrosian I'm not sure of always ends up on IL. Middleton I keep. Milner I let go. I bring back Pena, Sandoval (if he is not in rotation) Buttrey, Mayers and fill in the rest.

Agreed, except that once he went to the pen, Andriese settled in and pitched really well in September.

I’d keep Mayers, Pena, Andriese, Middleton, Sandoval, and maybe Bedrock Jr.