• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Marcus Stroman tweets

Billy_Ball

Stroman would be nice for sure. But again, it's debatable. Payroll will probably be around 190, and after everything, the Angels payroll likely sits at 170. 

The Angels likely need one starting pitcher, if you buy Barria's breakout, which I do, if you don't then they need two. They probably also need a couple of strong relievers as well. 

Could you land Stroman and two relievers for 20 million? Depending on the quality of the relievers, maybe. It'd be hard to do though. 

I think one of the shitty parts about Eppler being gone is that we're finally seeing the younger guys that he developed break into Major League roles. Will the new GM keep Barria as the 6th starter or screw with his mind again by putting him in AAA? Will the new GM keep Ward in the OF and Adell in AAA? Will he keep Walsh at 1B or try to stash him back in AAA for another year? Thaiss' bat is ready too. Barreto's upside is insane, and needs an opportunity, but he might be a holdover from the past GM so they may lose him too.

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Stroman would be nice for sure. But again, it's debatable. Payroll will probably be around 190, and after everything, the Angels payroll likely sits at 170. 

The Angels likely need one starting pitcher, if you buy Barria's breakout, which I do, if you don't then they need two. They probably also need a couple of strong relievers as well. 

Could you land Stroman and two relievers for 20 million? Depending on the quality of the relievers, maybe. It'd be hard to do though. 

I think one of the shitty parts about Eppler being gone is that we're finally seeing the younger guys that he developed break into Major League roles. Will the new GM keep Barria as the 6th starter or screw with his mind again by putting him in AAA? Will the new GM keep Ward in the OF and Adell in AAA? Will he keep Walsh at 1B or try to stash him back in AAA for another year? Thaiss' bat is ready too. Barreto's upside is insane, and needs an opportunity, but he might be a holdover from the past GM so they may lose him too.

payroll is around 150 right now.  165 vs for the CBT

6 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Just quoting Fletcher who said after arbitration, likely 170-ish. 

Starting pitcher, a couple relievers, and probably a catcher too. Lots of needs, not a lot of money.

Edited by Second Base

12 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Probably not, no. Stroman will be 30 with his last season being 3.9 WAR, 3.22 ERA. He'll probably get $12-15M. Two good relievers will cost $5M or more each, less if you're taking a risk. I suppose you could get Stroman, a good reliever, and a dicey one, but the Angels already have plenty of the latter.

1 minute ago, Second Base said:

Just waiting Fletcher, who said after arbitration, likely 170-ish. 

Starting pitcher, a couple relievers, and probably a catcher too. Lots of needs, not a lot of money.

That's assuming the Angels offer everyone arbitration. Among the relievers due for arbitration--Andriese, Robles, Bedrosian, Ramirez, and Middleton--I could see them wiping the slate clean, and maybe only offering one or two of them arbitration, and letting the rest go, saving the money for a decent free agent reliever, and then building a bullpen with the free agent, Buttrey, Pena, Sandoval, Suarez, Milner, one or two of the arb guys, and maybe eventually Rodriguez and Ortega. And then signing some minor league free agents as back-up. 

8 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

That's assuming the Angels offer everyone arbitration. Among the relievers due for arbitration--Andriese, Robles, Bedrosian, Ramirez, and Middleton--I could see them wiping the slate clean, and maybe only offering one or two of them arbitration, and letting the rest go, saving the money for a decent free agent reliever, and then building a bullpen with the free agent, Buttrey, Pena, Sandoval, Suarez, Milner, one or two of the arb guys, and maybe eventually Rodriguez and Ortega. And then signing some minor league free agents as back-up. 

I think he calculated in the likelihood of Robles being non-tendered, if I'm not mistaken.

7 minutes ago, Angelsjunky said:

I think Robles gets DFA'd, because after the season he had, he's not worth what he'd get in arbitration.  The rest, though, I think will be offered arbitration, with Bedrosian being the only one in question.  Andriese, Ramirez, and Middleton will all likely just get small amounts (Andriese might get 2.5mil, the rest should get below that).

Ideally,  if we get a significant FA SP, we can consider shifting Sandoval to the pen and being a multi-inning weapon.  Projected pen:  Mayers, Pena, Andriese, Buttrey, Sandoval, Bedrosian, Middleton, Ramirez, Milner, Reyes (acquired in Padres deal), etc..

There are a lot of arms and some pretty good talent.  Hopefully, an offseason working with Callaway will get the best out of some of these guys.  Given that money is unlikely to be plentiful, I'd rather just go all in on Bauer.  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, and Barria makes for a very good rotation, with Ohtani being a wildcard.

So if we sign a starter Ohtani won't get a shot?  Who gets canned? Canning?

I'm confused, since Ohtani should fill Teheran's spot, who else deserves the axe?  Nobody.. but apparently it's Ohtani.  I guess he'll be a star on the Dodgers, they'll make him Babe fucking Ruth.

1 minute ago, Angel said:

I'm confused, since Ohtani fills Teheran's spot, who else deserves the axe?  Nobody.. but apparently it's Ohtani.

If Ohtani is healthy out of ST and the Angels sign someone, then I think the rotation is six men: new pitcher, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Ohtani. Barria might get skipped ever so often, to get more starts for the first four.

5 minutes ago, Angel said:

I'm confused, since Ohtani fills Teheran's spot, who else deserves the axe?  Nobody.. but apparently it's Ohtani.  I guess he'll  be a star on the Dodgers, they'll make him Babe fucking Ruth.

Ohtani isn't getting a spot. He will however get a chance to pitch.

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Cot's contract link:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VGOfP7l110-tNq5CX0Gp3NCnDqj1MwOQOfanxNZGBdI/edit#gid=1520401900

I'd say you are largely correct.  Our CBT is 133mil before arbitration.  Eyeballing the players due for arbitration, and I think we'll spend around 35-40mil, if we DFA Robles.  So - our CBT is 168-173mil, and the payroll is likely around 153-158mil.

I think Arte will actually spend this winter, given his impatience and the desire to turn things around.  Adding Bauer may not be in the cards, as he's probably looking at ~30mil AAV in terms of his contract (or higher if he does the one year deal thing), but I think we should reasonably afford a 20mil/yr-ish caliber SP.

6 minutes ago, Angel said:

I'm confused, since Ohtani should fill Teheran's spot, who else deserves the axe?  Nobody.. but apparently it's Ohtani.  I guess he'll be a star on the Dodgers, they'll make him Babe fucking Ruth.

To get through a season, realistically, teams need 8-9 SPs in terms of overall depth.  Obviously you can't keep that many on the active roster, so you need some SPs with options, who will start the year off in AAA then get called up depending on injury, effectiveness, etc.

If we signed a SP, we'd have:  SP, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Ohtani.  Beyond that, we'd have Sandoval and Suarez, who would both likely be optioned to start the year so they stay stretched out and get starts in AAA.

That's 8 SPs, which should help us get through most of the year.  Probably need another one, though.

If you don't give Ohtani a starting spot he will start looking elsewhere, seriously I feel like some of you genuinely hate the guy or want him on your Dodgers.

Well, I told you so remember that.  Perhaps it's best for Ohtani to move on, imagine what we could get for him?  A bunch of way less exciting players, that's for sure.

4 minutes ago, Angel said:

If you don't give Ohtani a starting spot he will start looking elsewhere, seriously I feel like some of you genuinely hate the guy or want him on your Dodgers.

Well, I told you so remember that.  Perhaps it's best for Ohtani to move on, imagine what we could get for him?  A bunch of way less exciting players, that's for sure.

Nobody hates him.  I just think people don't want to count on him because he's struggled mightily with staying healthy.  So it's more of a "if he does start, it's a bonus" sorta thing.

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

it's about 170 relative to the lux tax.  For whatever reason, when sites like bbref etc show payroll, they don't include benefits etc.  

1 hour ago, Second Base said:

That was the luxury tax payroll which includes benefits bonuses and minor leaguers on the 40-man roster. 

The actual sum of major league salaries, which is the figure that’s most relevant to Arte, is closer to $150M.