• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

On 10/2/2020 at 2:37 AM, Angel said:

I like the idea of finding talent from a franchise with a well run and super effective front office like the Rays, we have the money.  If they feel they aren't being payed enough for their services making the Rays so effective they should speak up.  We're here to help them help us, our market is huge and we have one of the best players and the most exciting player on the same team. 

*The only caveat* I see with hiring someone from the Rays front office is that we might have too much money, too lax, perhaps the financially restrictive nature of a front office like the Rays is it forces real clever and cost effective methodology to acquiring talent that wouldn't be possible unless we forced the same restrictions on ourselves.

It's difficult to reconcile the above mostly rational post with your other Tourette's-like outbursts about uniforms and Ohtani to the Dodgers and the persecution complex therein.  It's almost as if a pre-teen has your password while you're at work.  Post rationally like above and your takes will be more civilly discussed, or change your password.

15 hours ago, mymerlincat said:

Now that the Phillies have an opening, another desirable landing spot has been created.  Might hurt our chances of getting who we want.

Yeah.  I think, though, the Phillies are probably "on par" with us - several big, long-term deals, but some payroll space to operate and a decent farm system.  Might come down to whether the candidate prefers the east coast or west coast.

Still - every offseason, there are multiple spots available, and this will be no different.  I still feel strongly Arte needs to find someone from TB/LA/OAK.  The TOR guy, LaCava, sounds like a decent option too, although I'd still prefer someone who has worked closely from the Friedman tree.

All you need to do is look at the Giants and see what Zaidi has done in 2 years there.  The Giants were basically in the same position we were in around 2015 when Eppler took over - absolutely NO farm system, several monstrous contracts, etc.  In the 2 years Zaidi has been there, he has avoided adding bloated contracts, significantly revitalized their farm system, and has found several random really good players (Yazstremski, Solano) for nothing.  We need someone like that in charge.

3 hours ago, Warfarin said:

Yeah.  I think, though, the Phillies are probably "on par" with us - several big, long-term deals, but some payroll space to operate and a decent farm system.  Might come down to whether the candidate prefers the east coast or west coast.

Still - every offseason, there are multiple spots available, and this will be no different.  I still feel strongly Arte needs to find someone from TB/LA/OAK.  The TOR guy, LaCava, sounds like a decent option too, although I'd still prefer someone who has worked closely from the Friedman tree.

All you need to do is look at the Giants and see what Zaidi has done in 2 years there.  The Giants were basically in the same position we were in around 2015 when Eppler took over - absolutely NO farm system, several monstrous contracts, etc.  In the 2 years Zaidi has been there, he has avoided adding bloated contracts, significantly revitalized their farm system, and has found several random really good players (Yazstremski, Solano) for nothing.  We need someone like that in charge.

Will Middleton grant the new Phillies GM more autonomy than Arte will for ours?  If yes, then I could see their job being much more appealing to established GMs

Do you all think that the Angels will hire both a President of Baseball Ops and a GM or just a GM?

I think they should should hire both, but I don't think they will because it will cost Arte more money and it would give him less control.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Do you all think that the Angels will hire both a President of Baseball Ops and a GM or just a GM?

I think they should should hire both, but I don't think they will because it will cost Arte more money and it would give him less control.

We already have a President of Baseball Ops named Arte Moreno

On 9/30/2020 at 12:15 PM, Inside Pitch said:

Bingo.   We have always heard Arte talk about the Angels having a budget...    There is zero question he's been trying to fill holes while staying within that budget.   Doesn't absolve him from the Harvey/Cahill/Teheran deals but it certainly seems he was being forced to shop in that tier of pitching.

And got canned for his efforts.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

All this talk about poaching from well run franchises is spot on only it seems pretty clear Arte/Carpino want to move away from process driven actions and back to something he is more comfortable with or understands.

Its depressing really.

Didn't we poach Eppler from the Yankees? 

Yeah, that worked out magnificently.

22 minutes ago, Lou said:

Didn't we poach Eppler from the Yankees? 

Yeah, that worked out magnificently.

For the most part it was working.  Dude had his fuck-ups but there is little question the Angels are in much better shape now than when he took over.  

Not saying you are one of them but  the only people who don't think so are ignorant of how bad the situation was and how much work there really was to do because "OMG best player on the planet they should be winning."   

Unless you're one of people that believe Upton is a lost cause, it's hard to argue anything Eppler did will be of any detriment to the Angels moving forward..  Meanwhile, AP is still on the roster.

Let me rephrase it like this.  Im hopeful of what comes next, not because of whoever we end up signing to GM or because of who sits in the managers chair -- but because of the heavy lifting and obstacles Eppler already overcame.

Maybe Eppler is kind of Arte's rebound relationship: he made him feel better about where the team is at and positioned it for better times to come, but Arte cast him aside, thinking he didn't want to commit more fully and instead is looking around for a trophy wife. Hopefully not Domtrophski.

Edited by Angelsjunky

• 4 weeks later...

Before serving as the Cubs VP of scouting, Kantrovitz served as the assistant GM of the A's under Billy Beane from 2015-2019. He has only served as the scouting director of the Cubs for this season. He also served as the scouting director for the St. Louis Cardinals from 2012-2014

https://www.bleachernation.com/cubs/2019/11/19/getting-to-know-new-cubs-scouting-director-dan-kantrovitz/

Honestly, although not my favorite of whom we are rumored to interview, he sounds like a solid person with a great resume to interview for the job.

Edited by rafibomb

A Brown graduate and former minor league shortstop, Kantrovitz began his front office career with the St. Louis Cardinals in 2004. After earning his master’s degree at Harvard in 2009, he joined the A’s and worked in international operations and baseball analysis. The Cardinals hired him back as their scouting director in 2012. After three years, he once again returned to Oakland, where he was named AGM. He held that position in Oakland for five seasons, from 2015-19.

https://www.athleticsnation.com/2019/11/13/20963663/assistant-general-manager-dan-kantrovitz-chicago-cubs-oakland-athletics