• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I'm a teacher (you can guess all the crap we deal with), and I would gladly accept a job offer to be the Angels GM. 

48 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

I called it. No one with a brain wants to be a part of this organization. You’d have to be desperate for a shot to risk putting up with Arte. 

1 hour ago, Fourts said:

The fact that Dom does not want the job (if indeed true), would be telling and concerning.  Not that we need dom, but it just says something about the current view of the Angels organization, the GM position, owner, etc.  Maybe Dom just wants to retire and water his garden idk.  You would think guys would jump at this job -- one of 30+ jobs, top 1/3rd in team payroll, great area to live, not much expectations to surpass, etc.    

Do you have a link for that because I haven't seen anything posted that mentions that.

8 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

Not desperate. That's a stretch to say the least. It's recognizing the fact that there are only 30 of these positions available. To be able to have control over building a major league roster and organization in general is the opportunity of a lifetime. 

The Angels will have their pick of anyone not already a GM or team president. Any AGM would take the job in a heartbeat.

Dombrowski is 64. In the same bracket as Maddon. LaRussa and Arte are older. A lot of positive things about experience, but I think we need a younger infusion of baseball minds.  

Someone perhaps flying under the radar with winning organizations. Not retreads or crony associates.

Wait till the series is over and interview the best candidates within the best organizations. 

14 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Not desperate. That's a stretch to say the least. It's recognizing the fact that there are only 30 of these positions available. To be able to have control over building a major league roster and organization in general is the opportunity of a lifetime. 

The Angels will have their pick of anyone not already a GM or team president. Any AGM would take the job in a heartbeat.

If you go back and read my original comment, I was pointing out why Dombrowski is unlikely. Same with anyone established in the field. The only people who would be interested are those who are trying to break in  - as you noted also. 

Someone like Dombrowski, who has been heavily linked to the job won’t take it unless he’s simultaneously given a lot of money and assurances that Arte will be hands off. Even then, he’s probably got better opportunities elsewhere. 

I've compiled a list of front office execs who have worked in close proximity with Maddon and La Russa before....

Josh Byrnes - Been fired as a GM before, but a ton of connections and has been intimately involved in Dodgers resurgence of the last half decade. Well liked in baseball circles.

DeJon Watson - Played a key role in Nationals rise to the top, connections with Dombrowski and LaRussa.

Dave Stewart - Former player, one time GM in Arizona and current agent. Made a lot of terrible personnel decisions and talked the D-Backs franchise. Close with LaRussa.

Dave Dombrowski - Proven winner, connections with everyone. Likes total control. Once was a wizard at building a farm system, now has a rep for destroying them. Top of the list, well respected throughout. 

Brian O'Halloran - Red Sox AGM, second in command, connected with both Maddon and LaRussa. Has interviewed for GM spots before.

Eric Neander - Second in command in Tampa Bay, part of that Andrew Friedman brain trust that has been pillaged by virtually every successful team in baseball now. Seen as a scouting wizard, finds value where no one else can.

Gerry Hunsicker - He's the one that constructed that Tampa Bay brain trust, and then went to the Dodgers and has been highly successful there too. He's 70 now, and has never even tried to be a GM before. Highly unlikely, but if you can land him, it would change EVERYTHING.

Matt Arnold - AGM in Milwaukee. Part of that Friedman brain trust we talked about already. Has transformed that organization since his arrival, from mediocre to constant contender. Strong in scouting. 

Tony LaCava - Not specifically connected, but well respected in the business. Always seems to come in second or third in GM vacancies. Has done impressive work in Toronto. Offered the O's GM job and notably turned it down to remain an AGM in Toronto. Personally connected to their resurgence over the last decade.

Jed Hoyer - Second in command in Chicago. Had interviewed for many GM openings, strong ties to LaRussa and Maddon. Former GM of Padres, he began the reconstruction of their now insanely strong farm system.

Jason McLeod - Second or third in command in Chicago. Very strong in scouting, interviewed for GM spots before. Strong connections with LaRussa and Maddon.

-------

Personally, my favorite would be Eric Neander, but he'd be hard to pry from Tampa Bay. I also like Dave Dombrowski and there insane success he's had. 

The favorites though, are likely Byrnes and Hoyer. They seem to be connected and are unexciting but won't destroy anything either, and to be fair Dombrowski, as connected as he is, has decimated some farm systems.

Edited by Second Base

3 hours ago, Duren, Duren said:

Dombrowski is 64. In the same bracket as Maddon. LaRussa and Arte are older. A lot of positive things about experience, but I think we need a younger infusion of baseball minds.  

Someone perhaps flying under the radar with winning organizations. Not retreads or crony associates.

Wait till the series is over and interview the best candidates within the best organizations. 

Eppler, Dipoto, and Reagins were all young GMs. A lot of good that did. 

The Angels need a guy like Dombrowski as VP so he can hire smarter people than him to help cultivate a winning organization.

31 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Josh Byrnes - Been fired as a GM before, but a ton of connections and has been intimately involved in Dodgers resurgence of the last half decade. Well liked in baseball circles.

He's been a candidate for the Angels GM job before, and he's been successful with the Dodgers, so I could see it. He'd be up there, in terms of top candidates, imo.

Brian O'Halloran - Red Sox AGM, second in command, connected with both Maddon and LaRussa. Has interviewed for GM spots before.

O'Halloran was promoted to the Red Sox GM job under Chaim Bloom, so the Angels would need to make him President of Baseball Operations to pry him away.

Eric Neander - Second in command in Tampa Bay, part of that Andrew Friedman brain trust that has been pillaged by virtually every successful team in baseball now. Seen as a scouting wizard, finds value where no one else can.

He'd be my favorite as well, but I doubt they can pry him from Tampa.

Matt Arnold - AGM in Milwaukee. Part of that Friedman brain trust we talked about already. Has transformed that organization since his arrival, from mediocre to constant contender. Strong in scouting. 

They'd probably have to make him PBO as well, as Milwaukee apparently is gonna make Stearns President and Arnold GM.

Tony LaCava - Not specifically connected, but well respected in the business. Always seems to come in second or third in GM vacancies. Has done impressive work in Toronto. Offered the O's GM job and notably turned it down to remain an AGM in Toronto. Personally connected to their resurgence over the last decade.

Gammons connected those dots earlier today, and I could see it.

Jed Hoyer - Second in command in Chicago. Had interviewed for many GM openings, strong ties to LaRussa and Maddon. Former GM of Padres, he began the reconstruction of their now insanely strong farm system.

Jed may stay with Chicago because Theo may move on from Chicago after next season.

38 minutes ago, Wisconsin27 said:

Thanks, Second.  It's information like this causes me to visit this site multiple times daily.

As a high school principal, I only wonder how you are able to post throughout the school day:-)

I kid!!!!

Thanks for all of your contributions, I'd love to buy you a beer!

Mike

I'm actually on paternity leave lol. I'm strict about not touching my phone at school. Sends the wrong message.

6 hours ago, GrittyVeterans said:

We need Arte to sell. 

And I don’t mean sell talent from the MLB club. I mean sell the entire franchise.

Guy isn’t cut out to be an owner. The good teams don’t have an owner that’s involved in decisions like he is

Eppler will be getting another chance at being a Gm in this league elsewhere just like Dipoto did

Sure. You have 2.5 billion dollars to offer him? Arte isn’t going anywhere as long as he is healthy.