• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the yankees had the highest payroll in baseball from 1999 through when Steinbrenner died in 2010 by almost 50% above the next closest.  Granted there was no CBT and associated penalties.  

their front office basically had zero restrictions on making the team better under his reign.  

If Arte wants to expand payroll to that level then he can do whatever the F he wants.  

I have not idea what 'likes to be part of the process' means, but my guess is that Carpino is actually down playing the level with which Arte is involved.  

This comment actually makes me appreciate what Eppler was able to do even more than I did before.  

Also, didn't Steinbrenner basically take a step back from making personnel moves in the 90s? 

When I think of meddling Steinbrenner I think of the 70s and 80s.

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

This comment actually makes me appreciate what Eppler was able to do even more than I did before.  

Bingo.   We have always heard Arte talk about the Angels having a budget...    There is zero question he's been trying to fill holes while staying within that budget.   Doesn't absolve him from the Harvey/Cahill/Teheran deals but it certainly seems he was being forced to shop in that tier of pitching.

16 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

the yankees had the highest payroll in baseball from 1999 through when Steinbrenner died in 2010 by almost 50% above the next closest.  Granted there was no CBT and associated penalties.  

their front office basically had zero restrictions on making the team better under his reign.  

If Arte wants to expand payroll to that level then he can do whatever the F he wants.  

I have not idea what 'likes to be part of the process' means, but my guess is that Carpino is actually down playing the level with which Arte is involved.  

To qualify what I meant, it was more in the interfering in player decisions.

If Arte wants to shoot by the tax threshold, that’s his perogative.

Just don’t let the farm go totally to pot while doing so.

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

No idea who LaCava is.  

Started non-playing career as a decade long Halos scout in the 1990s.

That must be where his connection to Joe Maddon comes from.

While with the Indians in 2002, was the force behind the Colon for Cliff Lee, Grady Sizemore, and Brandon Phillips trade with the Expos, that helped drive the Indians to annual contention after that through the decade.

Currently is the senior VP for player personnel with the Jays.

The fact that Dom does not want the job (if indeed true), would be telling and concerning.  Not that we need dom, but it just says something about the current view of the Angels organization, the GM position, owner, etc.  Maybe Dom just wants to retire and water his garden idk.  You would think guys would jump at this job -- one of 30+ jobs, top 1/3rd in team payroll, great area to live, not much expectations to surpass, etc.    

8 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Personally, I think waiting until Thanksgiving will hurt the team. They need to hire a GM much sooner than that. 

Yup... several moves will be off the board by then... plus, if we are bringing in someone new, they are going to have a bit of a learning curve in terms of being able to evaluate our organizational talent.

This team is not waiting until Thanksgiving.  That is something you say when you are trying to show that you as an organization will do your due diligence.  They will have someone in place the day after the World Series, if not sooner.  If they do, then you will see Stoneman jump in as pseudo GM and start making decisions.  

If Eppler got fired, then it is likely the organization was preparing for this.  I would think they would have had this down to a pretty short list by now with the candidates ranked.

Sure they want to actually interview the top candidates, but I can’t begin to imagine how this could drag out to Thanksgiving.

Let’s go already. 

4 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Yup... several moves will be off the board by then... plus, if we are bringing in someone new, they are going to have a bit of a learning curve in terms of being able to evaluate our organizational talent.

while that's a risk, I think it actually bodes well that they're not just grabbing some guy who they had waiting in the wings.  But instead committed to getting the right person or people to make things better.  So in essence, they're not looking for someone to come in and make that 1-2 year fix.  

22 minutes ago, Fourts said:

The fact that Dom does not want the job (if indeed true), would be telling and concerning.  Not that we need dom, but it just says something about the current view of the Angels organization, the GM position, owner, etc.  Maybe Dom just wants to retire and water his garden idk.  You would think guys would jump at this job -- one of 30+ jobs, top 1/3rd in team payroll, great area to live, not much expectations to surpass, etc.    

I called it. No one with a brain wants to be a part of this organization. You’d have to be desperate for a shot to risk putting up with Arte. 

2 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

while that's a risk, I think it actually bodes well that they're not just grabbing some guy who they had waiting in the wings.  But instead committed to getting the right person or people to make things better.  So in essence, they're not looking for someone to come in and make that 1-2 year fix.  

Meh... they aren't exactly inspiring confidence.

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

Didn’t Arte somewhat admit it when he said something to the effect of, “maybe I should fire myself”

Yes he did. He was referencing that when talking about if he couldn't put a winning team on the field and also said it wouldn't be right to the fans.

He's literally eating his own words right now. 

I hope they figure it out by end of October. The GM needs as much time as he can to asses the organization and make the proper moves for his staff before thinking about players. 

If it's true that "by Thanksgiving" is the goal then you're telling me the GM will have a complete game plan in 10 days and execute it at the Winter Meetings?
Yes, I know there's more to the offseason but he will be face to face with other GMs so he better have it figured out.

That's scary if they are going to wait that long....

1 hour ago, Angel Oracle said:

I like his experience as a scout and FO guy, and also his belief in int’l player scouting.

Six years younger than Dombrowski 

He has promise.  I'd still much prefer someone from the Dodgers, Rays, A's, or hell, even the Giants now (since they've worked with Zaidi for 2 years).  Still, he did work under Anthropolous, who is very good himself, and as you said - I believe Toronto has been very good in terms of international drafting, which is definitely something we need help with.