• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Still, I get his point.  Arte's GM hires haven't outlasted their initial contracts, that's never a good thing.

Yes.  My point is the Owner made bad hires.  DiPoto left because it was a bad environment for him and he didn't want to stick around.  Whether you think he'd be fired at the end of the year or not.  The point remains -- he didn't like the setup/job/workplace that the owner had in place and bolted.  It wasn't a right fit.  That's on the owner.  

Reagins -- come on.  If you truly think he quit and Angels wanted him to stay LT as the GM....then i'm wasting my time right now.

Just now, Dtwncbad said:

Speak for yourself.  I feel fairly positive on what Eppler accomplished in his assignment and I feel fairly positive on the outlook of what this guy can do from here.

I'm a huge fan of Eppler and wish he were still the GM. To insinuate that his departure after five years was planned is laughable revisionist history. 

1 minute ago, Fourts said:

Yes.  My point is the Owner made bad hires.  DiPoto left because it was a bad environment for him and he didn't want to stick around.  Whether you think he'd be fired at the end of the year or not.  The point remains -- he didn't like the setup/job/workplace that the owner had in place and bolted.  It wasn't a right fit.  That's on the owner.  

Reagins -- come on.  If you truly think he quit and Angels wanted him to stay LT as the GM....then i'm wasting my time right now.

I was just pointing out that technically he wasn't fired...   It was imo pretty clearly a firing.   The Stoneman reference should have made it clear I was just having fun with the "techincally" talk.

Don't assume I'm trying to argue with you

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I'm a huge fan of Eppler and wish he were still the GM. To insinuate that his departure after five years was planned is laughable revisionist history. 

I never once said it WAS a plan to have him here for 5 years exactly.  I said it is common sense that Eppler was hired for the situation the Angels were in at that time.  It is also common sense to acknowledge that when the situation of an organization changes, a quality organization is going to keep assessing who might be the best person for the job going forward, and they may make another change.

You seem to assume a GM is hired with the notion that it is a permanent job regardless of what changes.  Sorry, but that's nonsense.

At the end of the day there’s one common denominator in all of this and that’s Arte.

We’ve been over this a billion times on this board and at this point it’s beyond fair to question his ability to own a sports team. 

There are plenty of examples of meddling owners and they’re not good. As time has passed and the more removed this organization has been from previous ownership and pieces involved the worse off the Angels have been. 

We’re closer to Al Davis territory than we are the other side of the coin.

And can we try to remember that the Dipoto issue involved dealing with a field manager that had massive power in the organization that proved to be frictional with a younger GM trying to what they want to do?

The buck stops with Arte on that, of course.  But realistically an entrenched "icon" field manager with conflicting theories to the GM was probably not going to go well regardless of who the owner was.

It resolved itself as it probably should have.

45 minutes ago, Stradling said:

What is the worst decision the team has made that was caused by Arte meddling?  

Siding with Scioscia over Dipoto.

EDIT - Actually, the correct answer here is the fact that he picked a side in that standoff. It can be argued that neither side was very much in the right but the fact that Arte ultimately picked the field manager over the GM was a huge mistake.

Edited by Ariamus

1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Honestly, he's walking into a better situation than the previous GM.  If the only luck he gets is the Angels avoid the ridiculous number of pitching injuries they have had in recent years I'm betting he will do okay.

I like the hire (partially biased as the Braves are my 2nd team) and hope he gets the people around him to succeed. Hopefully the focus on player development is a sign of that. 

3 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

At the end of the day there’s one common denominator in all of this and that’s Arte.

We’ve been over this a billion times on this board and at this point it’s beyond fair to question his ability to own a sports team. 

There are plenty of examples of meddling owners and they’re not good. As time has passed and the more removed this organization has been from previous ownership and pieces involved the worse off the Angels have been. 

We’re closer to Al Davis territory than we are the other side of the coin.

Wait no.  The common denominator is the Angels play in Anaheim and wear red.  So that has to be part of it.

2 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

Wait no.  The common denominator is the Angels play in Anaheim and wear red.  So that has to be part of it.

I know you’re joking but I actually think this organization could use a new look on the field (uniforms) to go with their new look off the field. 

Give off some sort of fresh feel to a new era I suppose you could call it. Even if it’s just for the fans which obviously it would be

Just now, AngelsFaninGA said:

I like the hire (partially biased as the Braves are my 2nd team) and hope he gets the people around him to succeed. Hopefully the focus on player development is a sign of that. 

I don't know enough about him to have an opinion.  I've read all the things that have been written so, I get what he's supposed to be about and I'm good with it.  But if all he does is dump even more money into the player dev department and scouting ill be happy for a while.   I say this not as a slam towards him, but imo this is the easiest winter they have had in a while.  The needs are pretty clear, the AP money is close to being freed up.  Looking forward to seeing how he navigates the covid off-season.

I doubt there is a single person on this board that thinks Arte is literally the best owner in baseball, or that he hasn't made his fair share of mistakes.  I estimate the number of people in this category is zero.

The only healthy way to judge him overall is to also consider how things could be different with a different owner.  I am not even remotely interested in throwing those dice and hoping for better.

Arte is one of the better owners.  Better than average.  So I just can't get on the Arte hate train.

And for fun, let me throw this out there.  For all you Arte haters who think he can't make a good decision. . . guess who would be picking the next owner if he sells?

Chew on that.  And then find some way to relax on the Arte hate.

1 minute ago, Stradling said:
4 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Siding with Scioscia over Dipoto.

This is a narrative that isn’t all that accurate.

I don't agree...eventually, that standoff came down to "me or the other guy" and the only person who could make that decision was the owner. His choice was iffy at best at the time and has been shown to be disastrous in retrospect. Moreover, it was Moreno that gave Scioscia so much power that the person who should be his direct boss (Dipoto) couldn't act the part because the employee had more power than the supervisor.

1 minute ago, CanadianHalo said:

I know you’re joking but I actually think this organization could use a new look on the field (uniforms) to go with their new look off the field. 

Give off some sort of fresh feel to a new era I suppose you could call it. Even if it’s just for the fans which obviously it would be

Please no.  I hate novelty uniform changes or color changes.  The colors are great and the Angel logo should be left alone.

Just now, Ariamus said:

I don't agree...eventually, that standoff came down to "me or the other guy" and the only person who could make that decision was the owner. His choice was iffy at best at the time and has been shown to be disastrous in retrospect. Moreover, it was Moreno that gave Scioscia so much power that the person who should be his direct boss (Dipoto) couldn't act the part because the employee had more power than the supervisor.

Except one guys actions lead to him losing the clubhouse and that guy was Jerry Dipoto.  He was the one that tried the power move in the clubhouse (which isn’t his place) and he lost the clubhouse.  This is on Jerry.