• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

36 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

https://art19.com/shows/behind-the-braves/episodes/949f1040-65af-4792-8e21-5a8f9fda2de2

Minasian on a podcast. If you listen to the first 15 minutes you can see why he’s one of the finalists. Kind of fits the mold...

Thanks for posting this CanadianHalo.  I’m just past the 20 minute mark of the podcast and hiring Minasian would just fine with me.

Edited by Revad

8 hours ago, ukyah said:

i'm pretty firmly on board the fuck all this train.

Is there any room left on that train...? Because nothing about this whole process and how it's winding down is blowing air up my skirt, so to speak. Minasian or Hollander just sound like yet another guy for Arte to lord over.

Reagins...

Dipoto...

Eppler...

On the bright side, after this one, one more and Arte'll have enough for a full starting pitching rotation. And when has ever shown himself able to build that in his time as the owner of the club???

2 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Is there any room left on that train...? Because nothing about this whole process and how it's winding down is blowing air up my skirt, so to speak. Minasian or Hollander just sound like yet another guy for Arte to lord over.

Reagins...

Dipoto...

Eppler...

On the bright side, after this one, one more and Arte'll have enough for a full starting pitching rotation. And when has ever shown himself able to build that in his time as the owner of the club???

Let's wait and see how things pan out before just assuming the worst.

If he hires Minasian, that's a positive sign.  A new voice outside the organization, one that has a strong pedigree working with teams that built strong farm systems.

Sure, Minasian is a relative unknown, but that isn't necessarily a strike, as these guys do have to come from somewhere.  

Let's see what happens today, as we will likely hear an announcement.

I think my favorite thing about this is how unexpected it is. I remember Hollander and had a couple conversations with him. When he went with Dipoto to Seattle, it said a lot. 

But Minasian, no one has really ever heard of. No one even knew he interviewed until reports came out that he was a finalist for the position.

3 minutes ago, Second Base said:

I think my favorite thing about this is how unexpected it is. I remember Hollander and had a couple conversations with him. When he went with Dipoto to Seattle, it said a lot. 

But Minasian, no one has really ever heard of. No one even knew he interviewed until reports came out that he was a finalist for the position.

Maybe this is a good thing?

Sometimes, pleasant surprises come from unexpected places.

Hopefully either candidate can just make things more exciting. It is the entertainment business. Dipoto shared and talked about almost everything - to the point where it just became talking for the sake of talking - and Eppler was frankly pretty dull. 

And I don’t mean simply talking to the media or leaks or anything, just the processes involved. Eppler certainly had big moments but overall, whew. Boring. Hoping we get some more dynamic in here.

I don’t know much about either one, but Perry seems like he may have a bit more of a bold streak, a bit more apt to go with gut and gamble, and Hollander a bit more reserved. 

Edited by totdprods

7 minutes ago, Second Base said:

Then that means he'll be hired. Perfect fit if no news sneaks out from his side. That's exactly how the Angels roll. Silent... but deadly. 

Minasian is likely our next GM. 
He's known as a great baseball mind with scouting and player evaluating knowledge. He helped evaluate some major trades in the past with the Blue Jays. 
What will be fun is to see how he handles a team with nearly double the payroll that the Braves had. 

Could be a fun next few years to see while the contracts of Pujols and Upton are winding down. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

Last night everyone pretty much broke it at the same time, probably because we all have the same Angels source telling us. 

At this point it’s a formality. Some time today the Angels will announce Minasian as the GM.

Thanks, Jeff!  I'm glad to hear you are rather certain it'll be Minasian.  Love his pedigree, and love the fact that he came from two systems that built a strong farm system.  I came away impressed listening to the Podcast interview he had with the Braves.  Obviously it's just words, and who knows to what degree he was involved in building the teams he worked for, but he's worked under Anthropolous for awhile (in both TOR and ATL), and I'm a big fan of Anthropolous.

Here's hoping!

10 hours ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Here's a good read on Minasian: https://www.talkingchop.com/2017/9/14/16303746/atlanta-braves-hire-perry-minasian-adam-fisher

Seems like he's a scouting/trade wizard. 

Minasian got his start as a bat boy back in the 1980s, moving up to clubhouse attendant, and then into scouting where he rose to Major League Advance Scout with the organization

I can already foresee the "bat boy" jokes when he makes a move that doesn't pan out.

57 minutes ago, totdprods said:

Hopefully either candidate can just make things more exciting. It is the entertainment business. Dipoto shared and talked about almost everything - to the point where it just became talking for the sake of talking - and Eppler was frankly pretty dull. 

And I don’t mean simply talking to the media or leaks or anything, just the processes involved. Eppler certainly had big moments but overall, whew. Boring. Hoping we get some more dynamic in here.

I don’t know much about either one, but Perry seems like he may have a bit more of a bold streak, a bit more apt to go with gut and gamble, and Hollander a bit more reserved. 

I couldn't care less about the personality of the GM, as long as they do a good job.

1 minute ago, Taylor said:

I couldn't care less about the personality of the GM, as long as they do a good job.

Yep.  Hopefully, Minasian has learned a lot from Anthropolous.  The Braves have built a really strong team despite fairly limited funds.  Minasian will have more payroll to work with (although most of it is already allocated to current players).  I hope he can build our farm system, and then once Pujols and Upton are off the books, can creatively use payroll.

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:
1 hour ago, Ariamus said:

Reagins...

Dipoto...

Eppler...

Expand  

Let's wait and see how things pan out before just assuming the worst.

If he hires Minasian, that's a positive sign.  A new voice outside the organization, one that has a strong pedigree working with teams that built strong farm systems.

Sure, Minasian is a relative unknown, but that isn't necessarily a strike, as these guys do have to come from somewhere.  

Let's see what happens today, as we will likely hear an announcement.

Look, I'm willing to be as optimistic about the new guy as anyone. But I think we can all agree that Arte's meddling is a negative thing, not a positive one. And does anyone really believe he's going to change? Especially with yet another "wet behind the ears" GM?

1 minute ago, Ariamus said:

Look, I'm willing to be as optimistic about the new guy as anyone. But I think we can all agree that Arte's meddling is a negative thing, not a positive one. And does anyone really believe he's going to change? Especially with yet another "wet behind the ears" GM?

I mean yeah, I understand, and I am likewise pessimistic about Arte's involvement.  But maybe Arte will turn over a new leaf, invest a bit more in the FO, and let his guy make the decisions instead.  I can see being skeptical about it, but all we can do is hope for the best, as obviously our owner is not going to get fired.

Minasian sounds very bright and has been a key guy in helping build up the Braves despite very modest payrolls.  Let's hope he can take those same principles and bring them here.  He'll have more payroll to work with fairly soon, with Pujols and Upton at the end of their contracts, so hopefully that'll help, too.

2 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Dude, all of this is out of our control. If you want to Eyore this to death, that's your choice, but it isn't going to change anything. 

Relax... it's just baseball.

2 hours ago, Revad said:

Thanks for posting this CanadianHalo.  I’m just past the 20 minute mark of the podcast and hiring Minasian would just fine with me.

He talked a lot about relationships, respect and alumni. All three things we’ve heard a lot about over the past year. 

Minasian seems like a really good dude who is very grateful to be where he is and values the opinions of those who played the game because he didn’t. Knowing what we know about the Angels organization as it stands right now, it’s hard for me not to get puppet vibes from listening to this podcast. 

What’re your thoughts?

Well i would say this was surprise. I guess we can just wait and see what he brings.

My hope is that, since he has been honed by AA and AA worked with Friedman and the dodgers and learned a good amount from them, i would believe that he also shared that training with Perry. So, hopefully brings what AA learn with him to us, and improves the teams from where Eppler brought it to. 

Lastly, i would not be surprised if we move from drafting high toosly upside Outfielders,  we may move towards Pitching.