• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I have to laugh that beyond the Who’s who of this list of finalists - our team beat reporter is constantly confirming other reporters’ info. 
Fletcher in with the “confirming Rosenthal report...”

it would be refreshing to have a beat reporter that actually breaks news instead of getting best by some other national guy across the country. 

Shots fired!

7 minutes ago, Stradling said:

I think it is pretty obvious that the leaks aren’t coming from the Angels, but rather than from the organizations or the candidates themselves.  Why would Fletcher have a relationship with the candidates based on the fact that they are currently working in Seattle or Atlanta or Chicago?  

Strad, when you were a finalist for your position, did they tell you that you were a finalist along with The Hamburglar, the BK King, Wendy, the 8th Karcher grandson?

Someone in the org slipped this.  We don’t have a beat writer with a good foot in the door.  

I have to say, the more I dig into Minasian's pedigree, the more intrigued I am.

He spent a ton of time working with the Blue Jays under Anthropolous.  When Anthropolous was hired by the Braves to be their PBO, Minasian was essentially hired as one of his top lieutenants.  He may be green, but he has worked for one of the very brightest guys in this game for a very long time.  That is no guarantee of anything, but it's certainly helpful in terms of experience and knowledge.

I may rank him as my #1 choice now, with Porter probably 2nd.  

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Strad, when you were a finalist for your position, did they tell you that you were a finalist along with The Hamburglar, the BK King, Wendy, the 8th Karcher grandson?

Someone in the org slipped this.  We don’t have a beat writer with a good foot in the door.  

Since you are in the industry I will take your word for it.  To me the only time we had any information slip from our front office is when Dipoto was here and it was later confirmed he and Servais were those leaks.  

Also, don’t be a dick.  

4 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Since you are in the industry I will take your word for it.  To me the only time we had any information slip from our front office is when Dipoto was here and it was later confirmed he and Servais were those leaks.  

Also, don’t be a dick.  

I Actually thought my response was clever and quite funny. I didn’t mention your company and and all of those finalists have big street cred.  Wasn’t trying to be a dick at all.  

25 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

I have to laugh that beyond the Who’s who of this list of finalists - our team beat reporter is constantly confirming other reporters’ info. 

it would be refreshing to have a beat reporter that actually breaks news instead of getting best by some other national guy across the country. 

My favorite part is when all the beat writers tweet the same exact thing almost word to word. I love them, but it's funny when it happens.... Which is almost all the time. 

43 minutes ago, The Ghost of Bob Starr said:

Meme Reaction GIF

All things considered, I'd like to think that our new GM should be in place a bit before 11/20, as that's the deadline to add rule 5 eligible players to the roster.  That would seem to be an important decision for the new GM to make.  So hopefully, the rumors that we'll make our decision by the end of this week are true, or if not, then by Monday or Tuesday at the latest.

1 hour ago, Inside Pitch said:

Yeah, lots of myths blown out of the water, right?   

Notice how it was Jerry that spent all the time looking into how AP would age?  

So AP's decline and Roberto Baldoquin's readiness were 100% Jerry's decision making.

Teflon.

Hollander must be the one responsible for the M’s progress?

• mmc changed the title to Angels GM Search Thread - down to 5 candidates (Porter, Sawdaye, Minasian, McLeod, and Hollander)
1 minute ago, Inside Pitch said:

Nah.  Lets give JD his due.  He scalped Brodie.  He also kept their scouting dept intact.  They were great at finding talent, awful at developing it.

I know there is a lot of vitriol towards JD based on how he left the organization, and it was admittedly a really bad look, but I agree that he is not as awful of some think.

I don't think he's a top-end GM for sure, but he seems to be building a decent team in the long-term in Seattle.  Time will tell how it ultimately turns out.

Anyway, that said - I look forward to seeing who our next GM is, hopefully by Friday. 

1 hour ago, Warfarin said:

I have to say, the more I dig into Minasian's pedigree, the more intrigued I am.

He spent a ton of time working with the Blue Jays under Anthropolous.  When Anthropolous was hired by the Braves to be their PBO, Minasian was essentially hired as one of his top lieutenants.  He may be green, but he has worked for one of the very brightest guys in this game for a very long time.  That is no guarantee of anything, but it's certainly helpful in terms of experience and knowledge.

I may rank him as my #1 choice now, with Porter probably 2nd.  

Being green isnt a huge issue as a whole, everyone has to start somewhere..

Pair him with a guy that knows the rules and the mechanical aspects of the job like Stoneman and he'd be fine on that end.   But no idea how well he could convey a message to prospective FAs and the sort..  But there really isn't any way if knowing that part with anyone that hasn't already been a GM or in a position to court FAs. That's the part where being green can get hairy.   

Then there is the Arte thing...  Hollander is likely the best prepared to interact with him.

21 minutes ago, Warfarin said:

I know there is a lot of vitriol towards JD based on how he left the organization, and it was admittedly a really bad look, but I agree that he is not as awful of some think.

Nah he was awful here and honestly didn't catch enough shit for it at the time...  But his time as the GM of the Angels shouldn't be how history defines him.  He's still writing his book, if he took what he learned in Anaheim and improves on it -- Good on him.  

2 hours ago, Stradling said:

Lets try this again.

This is a must read for anyone that blames Arte for the Albert signing.

We'll probably never know how much was Arte and how much was DiPoto but the article sure doesn't give DiPoto a pass....on the other hand, it was written in 2014 when Hollander was still with the Angels so the narrative may have fit that particular time.  

1 minute ago, DMVol said:

We'll probably never know how much was Arte and how much was DiPoto but the article sure doesn't give DiPoto a pass....on the other hand, it was written in 2014 when Hollander was still with the Angels so the narrative may have fit that particular time.  

There was a huge ESPN piece when it all went down that basically painted the same picture.  It didn't become an Arte thing until it seemed to not be working and it was pretty obvious who was driving that narrative. The Angels were leak central under JD.... 

I've been thinking about Hollander a lot and what if he is one of the main guys responsible for the rejuvenation of the Mariners organization? The Mariners have added ALOT of top-tier talent to their organization via the draft, trades or international signing the past few years; Kyle Lewis, Evan White, Jarred Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, Taylor Trammell, Emerson Hancock, Logan Gilbert, George Kirby, Noevli Marte.