• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

6 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Look, I'm willing to be as optimistic about the new guy as anyone. But I think we can all agree that Arte's meddling is a negative thing, not a positive one. And does anyone really believe he's going to change? Especially with yet another "wet behind the ears" GM?

No we don't all agree.  The problem buddy is you have no idea what exact decisions Arte is putting himself at the center of and which ones he is not.  When Arte puts himself into a decision process and the decision works out fine, you will never, ever hear about it.  If and when something doesn't go well, it is going to be very easy for people to dig up "evidence" that Arte was behind the bad decision.   What is the result?  Over a period of time an "active" owner will surely be categorized as someone messing things up.

The "Arte meddling" narrative is probably the most tired subject ever at this point.  The guy owns the team.  He isn't involved with every decision but he is free to have input whenever he wants in any decision he wants.

Any business owner is going to be guilty of making some mistakes.  That's how I view Arte.  Active owner.  He might be more involved than other owners, but it is probably exaggerated.  And viewing his "mistakes" in isolation is just kind of ignorant.  You don't have any idea what decisions he was behind that ended up fantastic.

20 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

The "Arte meddling" narrative is probably the most tired subject ever at this point.  The guy owns the team.  He isn't involved with every decision but he is free to have input whenever he wants in any decision he wants.

It is a fact that owners who are more meddlesome are usually less successful.

Jerry Jones is one of the most involved owners in all of North American sports and the 'Pokes haven't won shit in forever. Not since the dynasty built by Jimmy Johnson and Minnesota Vikings' ineptitude that was so strong, any yahoo (yeah, I'm looking at you Barry Switzer) could win with it, petered out.

James Dolan of the Cablevision family empire is the principal owner of both the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers. He fancies himself a basketball aficionado and for him, hockey is an afterthought. He's constantly involved in the affairs of the Knicks but he lets the professionals run the the Rags. It's no mistake that the NHL club is a model franchise with loads of success in the decade and a half Dolan's been in charge and the Knicks are an embarrassment over the same period.

Other meddlesome owners are the bosses at some of my other favorite teams. Robert Sarver fancies himself a genius who must have input on all the basketball decisions his Phoenix Suns make and that franchise has been rudderless since he's owned them. American businessman Malcolm Glazer doesn't know shit about proper football (soccer) but he insists he rules the roost at Manchester United and that his buddy, Ed Woodward, another American that doesn't know jack all, run the operations of the club. Finally. no-one's more interfering and overbearing than Daniel Snyder who may in fact be the worst person in professional sports ownership today.

In short, my point is that Arte is indeed "free to have input whenever he wants in any decision he wants." He's also free to realize he doesn't know thing one about running a professional baseball club and should be smart enough to refrain from being intrusive. After all, I doubt he'd want Jerry Dipoto, Billy Eppler, Tony Regins, etc. telling him how to make and sell concrete. ☝️

Edited by Ariamus

1 minute ago, Ariamus said:

It is a fact that owners who are more meddlesome are usually less successful.

Jerry Jones is one of the most involved owners in all of North American sports and the 'Pokes haven't won shit in forever. Not since the dynasty built by Jimmy Johnson and Minnesota Vikings' ineptitude that was so strong, any yahoo (yeah, I'm looking at you Barry Switzer) could win with it, petered out.

James Dolan of the Cablevision family empire is the principal owner of both the New York Knicks and the New York Rangers. He fancies himself a basketball aficionado and for him, hockey is an afterthought. He's constantly involved in the affairs of the Knicks but he lets the professionals run the the Rags. It's no mistake that the NHL club is a model franchise with loads of success in the decade and a half Dolan's been in charge and the Knicks are an embarrassment over the same period.

Other meddlesome owners are the bosses at some of my other favorite teams. Robert Sarver fancies himself a genius who must have input on all the basketball decisions his Phoenix Suns make and that franchise has been rudderless since he's owned them. American businessman Malcolm Glazer doesn't know shit about proper football (soccer) but he insists he rules the roost at Manchester United and that his buddy, Ed Woodward, another American that doesn't know jack all, run the operations of the club. Finally. no-one's more interfering and overbearing than Daniel Snyder who may in fact be the worst person in professional sports ownership today.

In short, my point is that Arte is indeed "free to have input whenever he wants in any decision he wants." He's also free to realize he doesn't know thing one about running a professional baseball club and should be smart enough to refrain from being intrusive. After all, I doubt he'd want Jerry Dipoto, Billy Eppler, Tony Regins, etc. telling him how to make and sell concrete. ☝️

What is the worst decision the team has made that was caused by Arte meddling?  

25 minutes ago, Dtwncbad said:

No we don't all agree.  The problem buddy is you have no idea what exact decisions Arte is putting himself at the center of and which ones he is not.  When Arte puts himself into a decision process and the decision works out fine, you will never, ever hear about it.  If and when something doesn't go well, it is going to be very easy for people to dig up "evidence" that Arte was behind the bad decision.   What is the result?  Over a period of time an "active" owner will surely be categorized as someone messing things up.

Any business owner is going to be guilty of making some mistakes.  That's how I view Arte.  Active owner.  He might be more involved than other owners, but it is probably exaggerated.  And viewing his "mistakes" in isolation is just kind of ignorant.  You don't have any idea what decisions he was behind that ended up fantastic.

It's funny how Eppler gets 5 years before we give up on him, but Arte has been the owner for 16 years, and hasn't been able to put together a winning team in 10 of those seasons. Yet he's just an owner who's made a few mistakes.

Edited by Taylor

Just now, Fourts said:

The fact we're on like 5 or so GMs the past 15 years (with all being fired basically) says it all for an Owner.  Hiring a GM is the most important thing an owner does.....maybe also providing a budget/$$$ for the team, FO, etc.

You are drunk if you think they have all been fired.  Two of the four have been fired.  

6 minutes ago, Stradling said:

You are drunk if you think they have all been fired.  Two of the four have been fired.  

i wish i were drunk -- too early.

but i did count too many -- only been four now with the new guy.  So the other three have ("basically" i said) been fired: Reagins, DiPoto (technically he quit --- but that's a technicality imo) & Eppler. 

2 minutes ago, Fourts said:

but i did count too many -- only been four now with the new guy.  So the other three have ("basically" i said) been fired: Reagins, DiPoto (technically he quit --- but that's a technicality imo) & Eppler. 

"Technically" Reagins wasn't fired, he was reassigned.   This is all Stoneman's fault for retiring!

3 minutes ago, Fourts said:

Eppler and Reagins were fired.  Jerry quit.  There is no technicality to it.  He quit.  They tried to talk him out of it, he said no and quit.  No different than if you called your boss today and said, “I quit”.  You aren’t getting unemployment, because you quit.  

25 minutes ago, Taylor said:

It's funny how Eppler gets 5 years before we give up on him, but Arte has been the owner for 16 years, and hasn't been able to put together a winning team in 10 of those seasons. Yet he's just an owner who's made a few mistakes.

Why do you assume Eppler was ever hired to be here for more than 5 years?  The organization needed something specific when he was hired.  The idea that the same exact GM is perfect for type of assignments is flat out silly.

1 minute ago, Dtwncbad said:

Why do you assume Eppler was ever hired to be here for more than 5 years?  The organization needed something specific when he was hired.  The idea that the same exact GM is perfect for type of assignments is flat out silly.

It must have all been part of the plandemic.