• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels GM Search Thread - down to Justin Hollander and Perry Minasian, Minasian is the frontrunner

mmc

1 hour ago, rafibomb said:

I wonder if we will get news of who the other 2 finalists are this week or we won't find out until the hire is actually made.

I hope we get confirmation on the three candidates, but I'm skeptical as to whether we find out.

21 hours ago, Dochalo said:

they are two of the finalists or you hope they are?  

I'm hoping, sorry. 

Mostly I'm concerned Hill is one of the final three.  I've heard good things actually but I have my concerns about him.

Honestly, I don't know that it matters unless whoever gets the job has any real autonomy (as you've said).  I've reached the point where I care less about who the GM is and more that they just throw more money at player development and analytics.  I just want to see the franchise back to being a consistent winner.

My big concern is that once again this is an off-season where ultimately Arte can really impact the outcomes.  If it truly ends up being a depressed market for players the Angels could do well for themselves if he allows whoever he hires to take advantage. As I've said before, I don't mind Arte, I don't think he's cheap, I've just lost faith he can see the bigger picture. 

I realize how stupid it is for a fan to say that about an owner when we don't have anywhere near the access to the facts it would take to make that statement, but I find myself questioning his decisions more than I'd like to.

5 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm hoping, sorry. 

Mostly I'm concerned Hill is one of the final three.  I've heard good things actually but, have my concerns about him.

Honestly, I don't know that it matters unless whoever gets the job has any real autonomy (as you've said).  I've reached the point where I care less about who the GM is and more that they just throw more money at player development and analytics.  I just want to see the franchise back to being a consistent winner.

My big concern is that once again this is an off-season where ultimately Arte can really impact the outcomes.  If truly ends up being a depressed  market for players the Angels could do well for themselves if he allows whoever he hires to take advantage. As I've said before, I don't mind Arte, I don't think he's cheap, I've just lost faith he can see the bigger picture. 

I realize how stupid it is for a fan to say that about an owner when we don't have anywhere near the access to the facts it would take to make that statement, but I find myself questioning his decisions more than I'd like to.

There’s some sort of disconnect between Moreno and franchise progress.   It does seem that he mainly is interested in the one aspect of the franchise that he knows: marketing/advertising.

Things won’t change until scouting and development become just as important to him.

I’m guessing LaCava because he started as a scout with the Angels back in the Maddon days, was here doing that for ten years during the Maddon years. They’re both also from Pennsylvania, like Scioscia, so there’s some built-in territorial camaraderie. There was some overlap with Stoneman when he came in from Montreal, and then LaCava eventually wound up in Montreal as head of player development around 2000 after a brief time with Atlanta. He’s buds with Anthopoulos who has worked in several solid orgs, he’s been a part of the Jays rebuild. 

Also, LaCava. Goes with the whole Italian thing.

All total speculation though.

1 hour ago, totdprods said:

I’m guessing LaCava because he started as a scout with the Angels back in the Maddon days, was here doing that for ten years during the Maddon years. They’re both also from Pennsylvania, like Scioscia, so there’s some built-in territorial camaraderie. There was some overlap with Stoneman when he came in from Montreal, and then LaCava eventually wound up in Montreal as head of player development around 2000 after a brief time with Atlanta. He’s buds with Anthopoulos who has worked in several solid orgs, he’s been a part of the Jays rebuild. 

I think the Stoneman connection might be the most significant thing, if he's hired...

12 hours ago, Inside Pitch said:

I'm hoping, sorry. 

Mostly I'm concerned Hill is one of the final three.  I've heard good things actually but, have my concerns about him.

My big concern is that once again this is an off-season where ultimately Arte can really impact the outcomes.  If it truly ends up being a depressed  market for players the Angels could do well for themselves if he allows whoever he hires to take advantage. As I've said before, I don't mind Arte, I don't think he's cheap, I've just lost faith he can see the bigger picture. 

this year more than any other.  

4 hours ago, totdprods said:

LaCava makes tons of sense. I would say he is the favorite except for the fact that he hasn't been confirmed as a candidate for the job. (I know he's been speculated about, but he isn't among the 14 confirmed interviewees.)  If he was one of the candidates that they interviewed, he is likely one of the most likely candidates because of the reasons you said.

7 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

There’s some sort of disconnect between Moreno and franchise progress.   It does seem that he mainly is interested in the one aspect of the franchise that he knows: marketing/advertising.

Things won’t change until scouting and development become just as important to him.

From the outside looking it seems like he gets too involved at times and needs to back off a bit. Kind of a Jerry Jones syndrome. For example, I don't know that Mark Walter is as involved in the day to day as much as Arte. Who knows?

It's his team so he can do what he wants but when it impedes progress it's concerning as a fan.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I don't see how anybody can compare Moreno to Jerry Jones.

I was referencing the tendency of Arte to kind of get too involved in personnel decisions sometimes. Obviously not to Jerry's level but I think both teams would be better off if they stepped back a little.

And they do both have really nice Yachts...

7 hours ago, Yes We Can said:

From the outside looking it seems like he gets too involved at times and needs to back off a bit. Kind of a Jerry Jones syndrome. For example, I don't know that Mark Walter is as involved in the day to day as much as Arte. Who knows?

It's his team so he can do what he wants but when it impedes progress it's concerning as a fan.

you have no idea what you've done.

No Way Do Not Want GIF