• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bauer alternatives?

Angelsjunky

9 hours ago, Lou said:

He talked shit about the team. Bauer didn't like Cole in college, but he's moved on. 

3 hours ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’m pretty sure they still hate each other. At least Cole hates Bauer. I would be shocked if the Yankees signed Bauer. 

My recollection (which is extremely fallible) from last season was that Bauer laughed off rumors that he couldn't be traded to Houston because he and Cole don't get along. But when Cole was asked about Bauer, he refused to talk about it. That would suggest Fletch is correct and NY is unlikely to bring in Bauer.

But who knows?

On 9/30/2020 at 4:14 AM, Warfarin said:

This is why I am a proponent of using Adell in a "mega prospect trade" to secure a top SP prospect - there simply aren't many "aces" available, and the best strategy would be to trade for someone with SP2 potential who, if we get lucky, can maybe even elevate to SP1.  Hence, I'd try to trade him to Detroit for one of Mize/Manning, or if not Detroit, then Cleveland, who has a ton of pitching but no OF prospects to speak of.

Of course, the easiest route would be to just back up the truck for Bauer.  Bauer nicely fills the "ace" role and Bundy can be an SP2/SP3 type.  Ohtani has SP1 upside, but we simply can't count on him at this time - any production from him should be considered a pleasant surprise.

But anyway, if I were to construct my offseason plan, I'd do this:

1.  Sign Bauer

2.  Trade Adell + lower level minor leaguer for either Mize or Manning

3.  Have Ohtani play some reps and learn to play RF, with the intent of having him serve as a 4th OF of sorts

4.  Sign Brad Miller (1/3?), with the intent of having him fill out the bench.  Notably, he can play 2B, SS, 3B, LF, RF.  Here's a link to his Fangraphs page:  https://www.fangraphs.com/players/brad-miller/12775/stats?position=SS

Lineup:  SS Fletcher, 1B Walsh, CF Trout, 3B Rendon, DH Ohtani, LF Upton, RF Ward (and later, Marsh), C Stassi, 2B Rengifo (or Miller)

Bench:  1B Pujols, C Bemboom, IF/OF Barreto, IF/OF Miller

Rotation:  Bauer, Bundy, Heaney, Canning, Barria, Ohtani* to start.  Manning/Mize will be "next man up" and likely be SP3 by mid-season.  Suarez would be depth after that, along with Detmers by season's end

Bullpen:  Mayers, Pena, Buttrey, Andriese, Ramirez, Bedrosian, Barnes, Sandoval, Quijada, etc.  Sandoval is the key here - I like his SP potential, but he's been a super effective reliever, and given our need for LH relievers, he'd be a key addition.  This is where strengthening our SP staff (Bauer, Manning/Mize) also helps strength our bullpen, as we'd gain a legitimate BP weapon in Sandoval.

So, TL;DR - by doing the above, we'd gain a legitimate ace (Bauer), possibly acquire another (Manning/Mize have that potential), and if health permits, maybe gain another (Ohtani).

Can Ohtani being playing RF come in and pitch an inn then go back to RF?