• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

General NHL Talk 2020-2021

gotbeer

My mistake on thinking they wouldn't rush this. I still don't see the sense of it. If missing the Olympics was the goal, why not run the season up to them, take 3 weeks off and have the playoffs? Not ideal, but better than this decision.

Playing to a lot of empty arenas isn't a good idea, especially when you have choices.

21 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

My mistake on thinking they wouldn't rush this. I still don't see the sense of it. If missing the Olympics was the goal, why not run the season up to them, take 3 weeks off and have the playoffs? Not ideal, but better than this decision.

Playing to a lot of empty arenas isn't a good idea, especially when you have choices.

The goal is to get in a season and be back on schedule for 21-22. They have to do the Seattle expansion draft then the regular draft and get free agency in gear before the end of July

2 hours ago, deepdrive said:

Olympics are summer in 2021.  So hockey has no bearing on them.  

But NBC does do the Olympics, so maybe that's why they are bowing to them.  

As for arenas.  Calolfornia and states that don't allow sports aren't going to change anytime soon to allow fans.  So postponing just to hope for fans is a fruitless endeavor.  

On 12/21/2020 at 6:53 PM, arch stanton said:

The goal is to get in a season and be back on schedule for 21-22. They have to do the Seattle expansion draft then the regular draft and get free agency in gear before the end of July

Yeah, I guess I just don't think that should be a goal. October into most of November is one of the slowest times for Hockey. They run a schedule similar to basketball and compete against high school, college and pro football - all popular, high action sports. I would think they would be ok with trading that for a month and a half competing with baseball.

2 minutes ago, deepdrive said:

Yeah, I guess I just don't think that should be a goal. October into most of November is one of the slowest times for Hockey. They run a schedule similar to basketball and compete against high school, college and pro football - all popular, high action sports. I would think they would be ok with trading that for a month and a half competing with baseball.

That's a discussion they may have next CBA but for now the dates are set and there are quite a few owners who can't survive without 41 home dates worth of revenue. 

And the players need to get back to making money as well. With the 81.5 cap maxed out for most teams and flat until revenue catches up they're losing a ton of money to escrow and mid-level players are getting squeezed out for ELCs.

22 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Olympics are summer in 2021.  So hockey has no bearing on them.  

But NBC does do the Olympics, so maybe that's why they are bowing to them.  

As for arenas.  Calolfornia and states that don't allow sports aren't going to change anytime soon to allow fans.  So postponing just to hope for fans is a fruitless endeavor.  

I don't know. I would expect to see fans in seats before April is over. Tampa Bay has already announced their plan to put 2000+ fans in their arena even without vaccinations. I know it's not CA. But, there's going to be a lot of pressure on Newsom once a lot of people (and all hockey players) are vaccinated. The guy is 100 percent politician. I think he'll go along with it.

1 hour ago, deepdrive said:

I don't know. I would expect to see fans in seats before April is over. Tampa Bay has already announced their plan to put 2000+ fans in their arena even without vaccinations. I know it's not CA. But, there's going to be a lot of pressure on Newsom once a lot of people (and all hockey players) are vaccinated. The guy is 100 percent politician. I think he'll go along with it.

Who knows with Newscum.  Fans in the seats are different than vaccinated players though.  Heck, they can't even open up movie theaters in this state.  

• 2 weeks later...