• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

The Official 2020-2021 Anaheim Ducks Thread

gotbeer

https://www.anaheimcalling.com/2021/1/13/22230262/anaheim-ducks-2021-opening-night-roster-taxi-squad-nhl-transactions 

2021 Anaheim Ducks Roster

Forwards (12)

Nicolas Deslauriers, Ryan Getzlaf, Derek Grant, Danton Heinen, Adam Henrique, Isac Lundestrom, Sonny Milano, Rickard Rakell, Carter Rowney, Jakob Silfverberg, Sam Steel, Troy Terry

Defense (6)

Cam Fowler, Jani Hakanpaa, Jacob Larsson, Hampus Lindholm, Josh Manson, Kevin Shattenkirk

Goaltenders (2)

John Gibson, Ryan Miller

Taxi Squad (6)

David Backes (F), Max Comtois (F), Vinni Lettieri (F), Kodie Curran (D), Andy Welinski (D), Anthony Stolarz (G)

Game 1 the aftermath.  

So after sleeping on it, my thoughts. 

Manson played like shit.  He looked bad out there.  Overmatched and you could see he was not playing the style of play that the Ducks want to play.  Where everyone was moving and had good puck movement, whenever he got the puck, it just seemed to slow down.

Hakanpaa.  He has potential.  Discipline needs to improve as he seemed to be all over the place, usually running people over.  He reminds me of Ritchie in that way.  He's big, and uses it, but again, needs more discipline.  

Lindholm.  Thought he got muscled around.  He was mostly absent or you didn't notice him.

Fowler.  He was moving well, but that shot needs to get harder.  He was limp wristing it to the net or over passing it, and that isn't going to cut it.

Shattenkirk.  He played like a Dman should.  He was where he needed to be, and overall thought it was a good first game.  Probably going to be the leader of the D.

Getzlaf line.  Seemed a bit overmatched.  Nobody seemed to be able to get a netfront presence.  Getzlaf lost a step, but he was still a man among boys.  Hard to get the puck off of him, or move him around.  But he seemed alone at times, and didn't have much to pass to.

Rico Line.  Disappointing.  Vegas seemed to put their best D on for that line, and just stiffled them.  Rakell and Silfverberg seemed to hover in the perimeter, and were absent or overwhelmed near the net.

Steel Line.  Had the bright spot of the 2 goals by Mahura.  Showed glimpses in the first and second.  But disappeared in the third.  When they were rolling, it was fun to watch.  Quick passes, quick zone entries, passing and moving into areas that weren't defended.  For a while, they were playing Vegas hockey and really taking it to them.  

Grant Line.  They had flashes.  But overall they were quiet.  

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Game 1 the aftermath.  

So after sleeping on it, my thoughts. 

Manson played like shit.  He looked bad out there.  Overmatched and you could see he was not playing the style of play that the Ducks want to play.  Where everyone was moving and had good puck movement, whenever he got the puck, it just seemed to slow down.

Hakanpaa.  He has potential.  Discipline needs to improve as he seemed to be all over the place, usually running people over.  He reminds me of Ritchie in that way.  He's big, and uses it, but again, needs more discipline.  

Lindholm.  Thought he got muscled around.  He was mostly absent or you didn't notice him.

Fowler.  He was moving well, but that shot needs to get harder.  He was limp wristing it to the net or over passing it, and that isn't going to cut it.

Shattenkirk.  He played like a Dman should.  He was where he needed to be, and overall thought it was a good first game.  Probably going to be the leader of the D.

Getzlaf line.  Seemed a bit overmatched.  Nobody seemed to be able to get a netfront presence.  Getzlaf lost a step, but he was still a man among boys.  Hard to get the puck off of him, or move him around.  But he seemed alone at times, and didn't have much to pass to.

Rico Line.  Disappointing.  Vegas seemed to put their best D on for that line, and just stiffled them.  Rakell and Silfverberg seemed to hover in the perimeter, and were absent or overwhelmed near the net.

Steel Line.  Had the bright spot of the 2 goals by Mahura.  Showed glimpses in the first and second.  But disappeared in the third.  When they were rolling, it was fun to watch.  Quick passes, quick zone entries, passing and moving into areas that weren't defended.  For a while, they were playing Vegas hockey and really taking it to them.  

Grant Line.  They had flashes.  But overall they were quiet.  

Translation: If this level of play continues, we're about as good of a team as all the analysts say.

Oh well, the truth is we probably need a top 3 pick. So, one more shot at the lottery is probably a good thing. Anyway, is there a better season to bomb than this one?

It's still nice to have hockey back. Hopefully by next season, when it's time to go to games again, they'll be a better product.

I don't. He's a tier below.

They made a big mistake not pushing him to shoot more when he was young. I think he could of been a lot more valuable player if they had. I really think the guy had the ability to be a 30 goal scorer.

Also, he thinks too much. You see the problem with this when he slows down the power play and other times tries to be too cute with the puck. Coaching should have early on pushed him to go on instinct more. The guy is mentally quick enough he could have done it.

5 hours ago, Tank said:

Serious question: Do you guys think Getzlaf is a hall of famer?

I thought he was.  But looking at his stats.  Probably fringe.  He is the highest scoring duck ever.  And I thought he was a point a game player, but he's not.  Although 1000 points is within reach and it's a pretty exclusive club.  Only 90 players total to reach that plateau.  And oddly, Paul Kariya is 91st at 989 points in 989 games, and he's in the hall.  But concussions really affected his game, where Getzlaf doesn't have that excuse luxury.  

Also of note, active players over 1000 points.  Thorton 1509 (14), Ovechkin 1280 (36), Crosby 1264 (39), Marleau 1188 (50), Malkin 1076 (65), Kane 1022 (83), Staal 1021 (82), Kopitar 952 (102).  

Players over 1000 points not in the hall.  Jagr 1921 (2) formality, he'll be first ballot, Turgeon 1327 (32), Roenick 1216 (45), Nicholls 1209 (47), Damphouse 1205 (48), Brind'Amour 1184 (51), Alfredsson 1157 (54), Fleury 1088 (64), Sedin 1070 (66), Taylor 1069 (67), Tkachuk 1065 (68), Whitney 1064 (69), Verbeek 1062 (71), Sedin 1041 (74), Smith 1036 (75), Weight 1033 (76), Mogilny 1032 (78), Kovalev 1029 (79), Elias 1025 (81), Bellows 1022 (82), Hunter 1020 (86), Larmer 1012 (88), Propp 1004 (90).

Getzlaf is probably going to get another 120 points in his career if he plays 3 more seasons.  That would put him at 1086.  That's right in the group of fringe type players.  

11 hours ago, deepdrive said:

Another 3 periods where the top two lines look blah offensively.

Gibson looked solid. 

I love Grant. Glad he's back. 

We're not a good enough team to sit on a lead.

Rakell is a mess.

Yeah, Rakell just seems off.  Might be better to just put him on the Getzlaf line, and put someone more useful on the Rico line.  Heinen is showing some flash.  

Of the team, I'd probably look at trading Manson, Rakell, and Terry before the expansion draft.  Of course that's after 2 games, and they may improve.  

Of the biggest leaps, I think Steel is really showing his potential.  I wasn't big on him preseason, but he's really picked it up.

Yeah, I don't know what they're going to do with Terry. He doesn't seem to be progressing. Only two games though. I just don't know how much time they'll give him. Too bad the 4th line seems set. I think it would be a better place to break him in. I don't see a lot in natural talent to make me think he's ever going to be a top 4 guy. He seems too overwhelmed playing against 1st and 2nd line talent.

I think things are looking up for Larsson. Sometimes a guy just needs time to settle in. Randy C cost us by not being able to except that with some players.

I need to cool my jets. Two games doesn't mean squat.

Early.  But man, it's nice to have signed a veteran Dman and he's playing like a Dman should.  That pass Shattenkirk sent over was beautiful.

Rakell also looked much better on the Getzlaf line, and Heinen looked good on the Rico line.  Although the Rico line still hasn't taken off.  

Happanna is looking more comfortable as a Dman.  Manson, hope it's not serious.  But the D looked better without him.  

The kid line was also flying.  Maybe as long as we don't play Vegas, we'll be alright?

11 hours ago, deepdrive said:

Hakanpaa takes Ritchie's place without the stupid? Is that what you meant awhile back?

Kind of.  Hakanpaa doesn't seem to know his own strength, like Ritchie.  So he'll just overwhelm a player with his strength.  Ritchie's problem was he would overwhelm that player with is strength and draw a penalty.  Hakanpaa for his credit, took that one penalty in the first game overwhelming a player with his strength, then realized that was bad, and hasn't done it since.  Something Ritchie has failed to learn. 

It's early still.  But if Hakanpaa continues his development, it makes Manson totally expendable.  As Hakanpaa is a RH defense also, muscle, and actually moves.  If Manson is out for a significant time, I hope they try Hakanpaa out on Fowlers wing to see how it works.  

Duck Tales: Pateryn fined for cross-check against Milano

Angles available aren't great but you can see Pateryn deliver cross-check at top of screen. pic.twitter.com/MObnmcXYsu

— NHL Safety Watch (@NHLSafetyWatch) January 19, 2021

Dangerous spot to take the cheap shot.  Milano fell, and luckily missed the goalpost and crossbar.

West Notes: Ekman-Larsson, Johnson, Vegas, San Diego Gulls

• The San Diego Gulls, the AHL affiliate of the Anaheim Ducks, announced they have postponed Sunday’s exhibition game against the Ontario Reign out of an abundance of caution due to COVID-19 protocols. This was supposed to be the second exhibition game. The first game, originally scheduled for Saturday, was postponed as well. This game was pushed back for the same reasons. The team will make a decision at a later date on when to play these game.

4 hours ago, gotbeer said:

Duck Tales: Pateryn fined for cross-check against Milano

Angles available aren't great but you can see Pateryn deliver cross-check at top of screen. pic.twitter.com/MObnmcXYsu

— NHL Safety Watch (@NHLSafetyWatch) January 19, 2021

Dangerous spot to take the cheap shot.  Milano fell, and luckily missed the goalpost and crossbar.

Ducks might get to see him again real soon since the Avalanche just traded for him. they salary dumped Ian Cole and he's the return

9 minutes ago, arch stanton said:

Ducks might get to see him again real soon since the Avalanche just traded for him. they salary dumped Ian Cole and he's the return

Well, considering the Ducks play the Wild again tomorrow, the real soon is going to be later.