• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. Become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jam Jones for 2B in 2021?

Chuck

16 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

It feels like Jam Jones has been around for a decade but he's still just 23 years old. Damn.

Exactly. 

I just think we need to let Jones, Barreto, Rengifo and Thaiss to get first crack at 2B in ST. Sign a veteran on the cheap like La Stella if none of the four have a good spring both offensively and defensively. But I'd rather save money on this position and SS going with Fletcher and go all in on SP and RP this offseason. Maybe sign a guy on the cheap for RF like Adam Eaton on a one year deal as well. 

2 hours ago, Blarg said:

The last week of both Walsh and Ward was a big dropoff in production. Like the league had enough data to attack their weaknesses. We will see if that is true next season. As for Jones AFL stats, they on the surface look good until you look at the quality of arms in the AFL. A lot of those guys are working on stuff or trying to get in innings after an injury year. There are no Bauers or Grienkes in the AFL.

that's never been my understanding of the purpose of the AFL, at all.

1 hour ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

No.

Giving Jones a shot feels like an Eppler move. With Billy gone I'd say the odds of Jones getting a crack at second base are near 0.

Well with that attitude let's just sign Bauer to be our ace of the rotation and the AL batting champion, DJ LeMahieu for 2B. 

I'm only cool with letting Rengifo, Barreto, and Jones fight for 2B if the Angels make significant moves (more than one) elsewhere.   Presumably, that means pitching.  Realmuto wouldn't be bad either.  While I think Ohtani will have a better year offensively... and maybe Upton...  offensive production from the catching spot could take a huge hit.

Jones hasn't spent a day in AAA as of yet and he's mostly struggled in AA for two seasons with one good month at the end of 2019 and good AFL performances in 2018 and 2019.  He looked capable in his first dip but that was 7 plate appearances so let's take it slow.  Rengifo is more advanced although he looked terrible this year and also probably could have used more time at AAA had that been an option.  

Barreto has no options left so you can guarantee he'll be on he major league club.  If Jones is going to have any shot, he's gonna have to completely and utterly win the job outright with a tremendous performance in spring and I'm not sure even that does it.  Barreto needs a swing change btw.  Whatever they did for Stassi, they need to do for him.  He looks to have a lot of the same issue that Max was last year with not making contact and pounding the ball into the ground when he does.  

So Jones will start in AAA like he should.  

BTW, the other benefit of having Jones on the roster is that he can play so OF if need be.  So that could change things a bit where you'd get a your backup IFer and a OFer.  but my guess is that they'll want him playing everyday.   

10 hours ago, Chuckster70 said:

I know it was only a few games, but from what I saw from Jones was pretty impressive. 

He looked a lot like Howie Kendrick up there, hitting line drives including one off a Dustin May 99 mph heater yesterday for two hits. 

If he's solid defensively there, we all know he's an athlete who can hit, steal some bases and flash some power. I think he should be considered. 

Spend all of Arte's available $$$ on starting pitching and relief pitching this offseason. Maybe some bench depth too. 

You were still lit up off that Seahawks win when you wrote this weren't you?

1 hour ago, Dochalo said:

BTW, the other benefit of having Jones on the roster is that he can play so OF if need be.  So that could change things a bit where you'd get a your backup IFer and a OFer.  but my guess is that they'll want him playing everyday.   

Barreto, Rengifo, and Jones all bring that multi-position flexibility.  It's actually nice to have.

7 hours ago, Hubs said:

I think we’ll sign a MINF, we can’t go in with a crapshoot with Rengifo who struggled, Barretto, who barely played, Jones, who barely played, as a starter. 

La Stella is one option but we need good defense too, so... I think there are several options at short and at 2B.

Pitching is the priority but we need to do something here, in addition to the backup C and maybe a backup OF who’s good defensively. 

What you spend at 2b and C you cant spend on pitching.  If we go over the cap we could replace two.  Not three 

1 hour ago, Chuckster70 said:

Well with that attitude let's just sign Bauer to be our ace of the rotation and the AL batting champion, DJ LeMahieu for 2B. 

I’ll start working the phones, buddy. Gonna have to be careful with that whole tampering nonsense.

45 minutes ago, Inside Pitch said:

You were still lit up off that Seahawks win when you wrote this weren't you?

Maybe a little, but I'd rather look to our farm for this position so I'll be rooting for one of Jones, Thaiss, Rengifo or Baretto to land this job out of ST. 

I hope it's an open competition for 2B.

3 minutes ago, Chuckster70 said:

Maybe a little, but I'd rather look to our farm for this position so I'll be rooting for one of Jones, Thaiss, Rengifo or Baretto to land this job out of ST. 

I hope it's an open competition for 2B.

Me toooo..   Also it was just nice to see Jam Jones have a good couple of games.

They have three guys that can all play multiple positions and offer speed and varying degrees of power off the bench.   All of them being able to play in the OF may be a huge plus for a team that only has two sure things out there.   

That was a great game though...

2 hours ago, Dochalo said:

Jones hasn't spent a day in AAA as of yet and he's mostly struggled in AA for two seasons with one good month at the end of 2019 and good AFL performances in 2018 and 2019.  He looked capable in his first dip but that was 7 plate appearances so let's take it slow.  Rengifo is more advanced although he looked terrible this year and also probably could have used more time at AAA had that been an option.  

Barreto has no options left so you can guarantee he'll be on he major league club.  If Jones is going to have any shot, he's gonna have to completely and utterly win the job outright with a tremendous performance in spring and I'm not sure even that does it.  Barreto needs a swing change btw.  Whatever they did for Stassi, they need to do for him.  He looks to have a lot of the same issue that Max was last year with not making contact and pounding the ball into the ground when he does.  

So Jones will start in AAA like he should.  

If you want to follow the logic that regular playing time is what got Ward and Walsh (along with a minor swing change like Walsh) hitting then how much more if you use that with Barreto? The guy has struggled in short spurts his entire career but actually has the pedigree of a top 50 prospect and is still only 24 years old. I would say he was actually starting to play better before his season ending surgery as well.

Edited by rafibomb

3 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

If you want to follow the logic that regular playing time is what got Ward and Walsh hitting then how much more if you use that with Barreto? The guy has struggled in short spurts his entire career but actually has the pedigree of a top 50 prospect and is still only 24 years old. I would say he was actually starting to play better before his season ending surgery as well.

tough to say.  He actually showed some progression from 2017 to 2018 and then in 2019 got all of 57 PA.  

there's gotta be something missing here though to some degree.  The guy was pretty much a consensus top 50 prospect starting pre 2016 and even through 2018.  Yet Oakland chose not to give him consistent reps at the major league level.   Part of that could be that the A's had Lowrie for 2017 and 2018 and then Profar in 2019.  But to me it says something that they went out and got profar as opposed to giving Barreto a shot.  Granted, he was barely 23 at the time.  

the one thing I don't really know about any player is whether major league clubs can actually tell whether a guy is starting to acclimate or not within the 50 at bats or so.  My guess is that sometimes it's slow and steady while other time, the light just goes on.  

Barreto looked very raw to me at first glance.  Another thing of note is that his minor league splits were kinda all over the place.  very good vs. LHers in 2019 but reverse in 2017/2018.   So the thought of having him platoon concerns me.  

I'm gonna guess and say that we'll start to find out who he is and who he can be if he can get a fairly consistent 200+ PA over the course of next year.  But if he hits below .200, the team just isn't going to have the patience to wait that out.  

I could see the team grabbing a cheap veteran option for 2-3 mil or from the pool of Jan/Feb signers as a potential backup.  

While things could work out ok, there is potential for 2b to be an absolute crater next year.  I just don't think whoever's in charge will let that happen.  

12 hours ago, stormngt said:

What you spend at 2b and C you cant spend on pitching.  If we go over the cap we could replace two.  Not three 

I think they’re not going to spend more than 3-5 million on a catcher. What Tommy La Stella cost last season. 

and Even if they brought back Simmons, or a guy like La Maheiu, or something along that vein, they still have money for a top starter, basically they have to squeeze for one year before Pujols comes off the books but it’s totally doable.

Just as jumping on the Jones train after a few at-bats is premature to say the least, so is taking a "hard pass." I like the idea of entering Spring Training with three possible young options. See how they play. As I said, the default is Rengifo/Barreto, with Jones in AAA, but if Jones shows up and kills the ball, and one of R/B really struggles or is injured, then I can see Jones starting the season with the Angels.

1 hour ago, Lou said:

I don't think there's any way in hell the Yankees let LeMahieu leave. 

I agree they’ll likely give him the QO, but I also think he may decide to sign elsewhere. It’s all about the Benjamin’s.

There has been speculation that there will be a flood of non-tenders this offseason. I'd imagine that some good 2B options will become available through non-tenders. I think that's the best route for the Angels to go. Wait out the 2B market and get a good deal later in the offseason when a player is desperate to sign.

On 9/28/2020 at 1:02 PM, Blarg said:

The last week of both Walsh and Ward was a big dropoff in production. Like the league had enough data to attack their weaknesses. We will see if that is true next season. As for Jones AFL stats, they on the surface look good until you look at the quality of arms in the AFL. A lot of those guys are working on stuff or trying to get in innings after an injury year. There are no Bauers or Grienkes in the AFL.

AFL has been canceled