• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Jam Jones for 2B in 2021?

Chuck

I know it was only a few games, but from what I saw from Jones was pretty impressive. 

He looked a lot like Howie Kendrick up there, hitting line drives including one off a Dustin May 99 mph heater yesterday for two hits. 

If he's solid defensively there, we all know he's an athlete who can hit, steal some bases and flash some power. I think he should be considered. 

Spend all of Arte's available $$$ on starting pitching and relief pitching this offseason. Maybe some bench depth too. 

I agree -- he looked impressive in the short sample and like he belonged (unlike some of our young guys).  I'd definitely let him fight for the 2B job and would hope he'd win; thereby saving some $$$ to use elsewhere.  I'm not sure the new GM (Dom) will feel the same way due to King Arte desiring the playoffs -- i fear we will overspend on yet another a middle infielder and waste funds as usual.  

Like Adell, I'm not so certain Jone's defense or offense is MLB ready. His conversion from outfield to 2nd base was pretty rocky and hampered his offense for two seasons. He kind of crashed and burned in Mobile in 2019 but did well in back to back AFL seasons. I'd hate to see him too early but then again he is only 22, like most of the Angels prospects of any value, they are all very young to be promoted to the big leagues.

Rengifo is actually a much better fielder and I think his bat will play in the majors next season and that will be challenged if Jones makes that step in AAA that says it's time to play or trade. But having been unable to really hit well in AA, I think Jones is still a year or more out. 

Jones in AA 130 games and 544 PA .234/.308/.324/.631  

He's on the depth chart, not much begin Barreto. But yeah, I could see a scenario where he wins the starting job and either Barreto or Rengifo is the UT. It will be a spring training battle, with the default being Jones back in AAA, and Rengifo/Barreto in a platoon, with the better player getting more playing time. But hopefully Jones will make the Angels take note.

That has to be the current plan. We need the money that Simmons would've required for pitching. Fletcher is clearly a good defensive shortstop and offensively, the Angels look like they have some wiggle room to experiment at 2B because of Ward, Stassi and Walsh's emergence, as well as Upton's return to relevance.

Barreto is pretty dynamic offensively and defensively and has nothing left to prove in AAA. Jones shortened his swing a ton to actually find success in the upper minors. Given his upside, you don't want to block him, but you also don't want to depend on him specifically. Even Thaiss. His bat is legit. He's ready to produce at the major league level and you know he'll spend this winter improving defensively at 2B the same way he took to 3B to become a good defender there.

Long term, the depth chart 2B is very promising. Barreto, Jones, Thaiss, Livan Soto, Maitan and Jeremiah Jackson. 

Edited by Second Base

Barreto, Jones, Rengifo and maybe Thaiss will have every opportunity to win the 2nd base job in spring and I'm confident at least one of them will step up and have a very solid season. Spending for a 2nd baseman with more glaring holes to fill would not be ideal.

Edited by rafibomb

22 minutes ago, rafibomb said:

Barreto, Jones, Rengifo and maybe Thaiss will have every opportunity to win the 2nd base job in spring and I'm confident at least one of them will step up and have a very solid season. Spending for a 2nd baseman with more glaring holes to fill would not be ideal.

Yep. I'd like to go homegrown at 2B like we are at 1B with Walsh.

I'd also like to think that Jones' final AFL stats after the 2019 minor league season show that like Walsh and Ward, he too made adjustments and it showed in the results. 

Jones Arizona Fall League stats:

.302/.377/.509 with two HR and 7 SB across 53 at bats.

The last week of both Walsh and Ward was a big dropoff in production. Like the league had enough data to attack their weaknesses. We will see if that is true next season. As for Jones AFL stats, they on the surface look good until you look at the quality of arms in the AFL. A lot of those guys are working on stuff or trying to get in innings after an injury year. There are no Bauers or Grienkes in the AFL.

I think we’ll sign a MINF, we can’t go in with a crapshoot with Rengifo who struggled, Barretto, who barely played, Jones, who barely played, as a starter. 

La Stella is one option but we need good defense too, so... I think there are several options at short and at 2B.

Pitching is the priority but we need to do something here, in addition to the backup C and maybe a backup OF who’s good defensively. 

The Angels are in a situation with the pitching where they cannot afford to spend more than 3 or 4 million on a 2nd baseman this year. If they could afford more they would simply give Simmons a 3 year deal and keep Fletcher at 2nd.

It is what it is. 2B is going to be an unproductive position next season. You can thank the Upton and Pujols contracts for that one

14 minutes ago, Blarg said:

The last week of both Walsh and Ward was a big dropoff in production. Like the league had enough data to attack their weaknesses. We will see if that is true next season. As for Jones AFL stats, they on the surface look good until you look at the quality of arms in the AFL. A lot of those guys are working on stuff or trying to get in innings after an injury year. There are no Bauers or Grienkes in the AFL.

What this proves is that these guys need consistent at bats to show what they're made of. Something Walsh and Ward didn't have early on, but in September they did. 

Walsh

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.16.45 PM.png

Ward

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.17.16 PM.png

2 hours ago, Fourts said:

I agree -- he looked impressive in the short sample and like he belonged (unlike some of our young guys).  I'd definitely let him fight for the 2B job and would hope he'd win; thereby saving some $$$ to use elsewhere.  I'm not sure the new GM (Dom) will feel the same way due to King Arte desiring the playoffs -- i fear we will overspend on yet another a middle infielder and waste funds as usual.  

We are not gonna waste funds on any position players. Everyone there knows every single bit of money needs to go into pitching. 

I totally forgot went Rengifo. He is quite valuable actually. He's young, and has the talent to take 2B and run with it, even become an all star there. He could also serve as the utility infielder because he plays a halfway decent SS. He also has options remaining which is nice to have, particularly if the Angels need to get a better look at Barreto.

41 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Quite frankly it was only 3 game hard to really judge what type of player Jones is. I will say, he has a chance  to be a good Mlber. whether he is a starter, slash ut, wuill depend on his bat. 

I actually see Jahmai Jones being what Shed Long Jr. is supposed to be for the Mariners. Their games are pretty similar, line-drive approach and a decent eye at the plate, plus speed and average glove at 2nd base.

I think 2B will be an open competition, but I would not count on Jones being the guy to win the spot, at least for now.  Rengifo, Barreto, maybe even Thaiss will get a shot at 2B.  If Jones goes nuts in spring training, sure, but I don't really see that happening at this point.

Rengifo is still the favorite, IMO.