• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Was firing Eppler the right call?

Taylor

Eppler Pole  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with Arte's decision to fire Eppler?

I voted no. After reading Bill Shakin's article, I really don't think Eppler was the problem. Arte did a lot of good for the Angels in the 2000s, but he's become insufferable as an owner since then. I really don't see any GM coming in and fixing the team as long as Arte continues to wield power.

To be upset that Eppler got fired, you have to believe Billy Eppler is the best possible GM the Angels could have going forward.

That’s pretty absurd to believe.

It was Billy Eppler.  Billy Eppler.  He isn’t special.  If he was, he would not have been fired.

I shrugged when I heard he was fired.  So what? And I am just happy to look forward to hearing who they hire.

When they announce who they hire, is it really going to be that tough to imagine they will be better than Eppler?

Edited by Dtwncbad

Yes. Eppler's strength set the team on the right path. He got spending under control, rebuilt the farm system and proved an effective bullpen could be built for cheap. 

And now we need someone that can come in and make the team a winner. Someone that can acquire the pitching Eppler couldn't. Someone willing to trade the prospects Eppler wouldn't. While also keeping payroll in a healthy place.

I've been critical of him recently, but I'm still on the fence. He's easily the best GM we've had since Stoneman, who I think is pretty comparable to Eppler so this could be a disaster if we bring in a Dipoto or Reagins type. 

I think if you look at Eppler's tenure and come to the conclusion that he spent five years putting back together an organization that the previous two GM's decimated while not being the guy to take it to the next level, then I think that's fair. I worry though, that those in positions of power look at the situation as 5 years of a team becoming less and less relevant. If that is the thought process that lead to Eppler's termination then I'm not on board with it.

I voted no just because I think the organization was in far worse shape than most people (including myself) realized when he took over. I think it's possible we will see some of his draft picks in the next few years turn out to be much better than we expected and realize that Eppler was moving the franchise in the right direction. 

That being said, on an Outrage Scale of 1-10, I am a solid 1. I can't feel too sorry to be waving goodbye to the guy who forced me to watch Lincecum, Matt Harvey, Cody Allen, Teheran (and many others) pitch for my favorite team. 

Bitching about those pitching moves when this team was saddled with the previous GMs signings of Josh and Albert is pretty funny.  

As for whether or not it is the right move, hell, I don’t know.  I 100% get why the move was made.  Do I think the next guy will be better?  Maybe.  I do believe the next guy will be better at acquiring pitching.  But much like Stoneman won a bunch of games with players that were in the organization when he arrived, I think that will more than likely be the case with the next GM.  Someone in another thread said something along the lines of, Eppler took over a really shitty situation and he laid the foundation for it to move forward, and I completely agree with that sentiment.  

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Bitching about those pitching moves when this team was saddled with the previous GMs signings of Josh and Albert is pretty funny.  

As for whether or not it is the right move, hell, I don’t know.  I 100% get why the move was made.  Do I think the next guy will be better?  Maybe.  I do believe the next guy will be better at acquiring pitching.  But much like Stoneman won a bunch of games with players that were in the organization when he arrived, I think that will more than likely be the case with the next GM.  Someone in another thread said something along the lines of, Eppler took over a really shitty situation and he laid the foundation for it to move forward, and I completely agree with that sentiment.  

You can slice it however you like but the reality is it wasn't good enough for him to keep his job, and that's all that matters here.

1 hour ago, DCAngelsFan said:

I voted "no" - not that Eppler is the best man for the job, but the best men are already gainfully employed, and Arte's history of meddling has consequences.

So, "right decision" depends on who he hires to replace  Eppler - could be great, could be a disaster.

Same reason why I voted "No" this has the ability to be a complete shitshow.

But, it wasnt unexpected!...

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

You mean how Eppler won games just not enough with guys like Trout Calhoun Walsh Ward Fletcher ... ya every guy wins with people previous regimes signed. It happens. Fact is Epplers finger print is all over the Angels roster the last 4 plus years and it has amounted to not good enough. 

14 minutes ago, Kevinb said:

You mean how Eppler won games just not enough with guys like Trout Calhoun Walsh Ward Fletcher ... ya every guy wins with people previous regimes signed. It happens. Fact is Epplers finger print is all over the Angels roster the last 4 plus years and it has amounted to not good enough. 

Ok.  

1 minute ago, aznhockeyguy said:

So the Angels fire Eppler, but who's going to come in that's better?  With Arte's meddling, why would any top tier GM candidate want to work for him?

Because there are only 30 of these jobs.  Because we have Mike Trout.  Because we have Albert coming off the books soon.  

13 minutes ago, aznhockeyguy said:

So the Angels fire Eppler, but who's going to come in that's better?  With Arte's meddling, why would any top tier GM candidate want to work for him?

Money and there’s only 30 GM jobs available. If he offers an unemployed GM or someone else a higher position than they have now they’ll take it of course they will. It’s not that hard. 

8 minutes ago, Stradling said:

Because there are only 30 of these jobs.  Because we have Mike Trout.  Because we have Albert coming off the books soon.  

Yeah, I can't see many turning it down.   Probably the Dodgers GM.  The Yankees GM.    Likely several more current GMs.    Non current MLB GMs, though? hahahahaha.  Maybe a couple.   Like Trump and Biden.  Bill Gates.