• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Billy Eppler

rafibomb

I’ve said it many times in the last month, but I’ll add it one more time...

Eppler walked into a very difficult situation because 

1. terrible farm system

2. HOF centerpiece

3. owner recently burned by big FA contracts

You can’t fix 1 the normal way (strip ML team) because of 2. And you can’t improve the major league team with trades because of 1. So you have to do it through FA but 3 makes that even harder than it is already.

So what you have to do is hope that some of the very few impact FA’s who your owner agrees to pay for will say yes (Cole, Corbin, Eovaldi, Wheeler all said no) and if they don’t you have to hope you hit on a high percentage of the second-tier FA’s but that’s tough because they’re second-tier for a reason. And you also have to hope a lot of your draft picks hit and hit quickly. 

But most second-tier FAs aren’t good. And most draft picks aren’t good.

26 minutes ago, Jeff Fletcher said:

I’ve said it many times in the last month, but I’ll add it one more time...

Eppler walked into a very difficult situation because 

1. terrible farm system

2. HOF centerpiece

3. owner recently burned by big FA contracts

You can’t fix 1 the normal way (strip ML team) because of 2. And you can’t improve the major league team with trades because of 1. So you have to do it through FA but 3 makes that even harder than it is already.

So what you have to do is hope that some of the very few impact FA’s who your owner agrees to pay for will say yes (Cole, Corbin, Eovaldi, Wheeler all said no) and if they don’t you have to hope you hit on a high percentage of the second-tier FA’s but that’s tough because they’re second-tier for a reason. And you also have to hope a lot of your draft picks hit and hit quickly. 

But most second-tier FAs aren’t good. And most draft picks aren’t good.

I agree it was tough, but five losing seasons.  The farm system is still questionable.  Lots of failed pitching acquisitions.

He got Ohtani.  Which I give him credit for... and there hasn't been good luck with him.    He got Rendon.  He re-signed Trout. Which I give him credit for. I also think that narrative has already gone too far.  Would Trout really turn down that much guaranteed if the GM was... anyone else?  Maybe an extreme situation. 

Eppler got some things done.  He was also  able to spend some money.  It's not like he was in Baltimore for three years.   You can't expect Arte Moreno to be okay with this for another year or two.... or month or two.   Not that I feel confident that Arte will nail the next hire, but it's understandable that he wants to move on. 

Didn't someone list a bunch of 2016 picks that are already contributing?   The Dodgers had a few.... granted they were at the top of the list.

If I'm Arte I want to see progress other than moving from the bottom to the middle of the prospect rankings.  Over five years?  That's not going to save your job in many places.  

i love how the angels are somehow guaranteed to win 1-2 rings if they decimate the farm. 

i kind of remember how albert was going to be great for the first half, then be a burden in the end, but it would be worth it if the angels won 1-2 world series.

i also really enjoyed the 1-2 parades we had under dipoto when he torched the farm system for the major league club.

having said that, i've personally seen the marlins do it twice and the padres almost did it in kind of in 98. at least the marlins were smart enough to sell everybody off after each championship. i suppose we could do that maybe.

28 minutes ago, ScottT said:

Time to bring back the straw man pic ?

feel free to peel this thread back a few pages or so where people are saying directly that or alluding to agreement with that same sentiment. you can also double back on those pujols threads and find their like.

it's not a straw man at all, btw. that requires distortion of the quote, which i didn't do in the least.

a straw man would be quoting some of the posters in this thread that were for keeping eppler and saying that they were fine with losing. that's probably somewhere around these parts too, i'd guess.

14 minutes ago, ukyah said:

feel free to peel this thread back a few pages or so where people are saying directly that or alluding to agreement with that same sentiment. you can also double back on those pujols threads and find their like.

it's not a straw man at all, btw. that requires distortion of the quote, which i didn't do in the least.

a straw man would be quoting some of the posters in this thread that were for keeping eppler and saying that they were fine with losing. that's probably somewhere around these parts too, i'd guess.

If someone said such things, they were clearly joking or in need of professional assistance.