• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Billy Eppler

rafibomb

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I disagree with the Price signing leading to trading Betts.  After signing Price they then signed Sale and JD to big contracts.  What lead to Betts being traded is Betts not saying yes to a new $300 million contract.

The unloaded Price's contract by trading Betts. Not a direct cause, but still a bummer for the Sox to lose their best player. At least they got Verdugo.

4 hours ago, Pancake Bear said:

Arte can’t keep his mits out of interfering with everything. Doubt that’ll go over well with Dombrowski. Can’t see him coming unless Arte agrees to let him have control.

generation. Dont see the quit dismissal of Eppler without having the next GM already committed. 

The ML club got worse record wise during Eppler’s tenure. He did some good things but I don’t think I’d call his time here a success.  Wasn’t expecting him to get fired and also wasn’t calling for it to happen while I’m ambivalent about the move. Never any guarantees but 6 years of no playoffs with a healthy payroll isn’t fun. 

3 minutes ago, stormngt said:

Some people  over think things.

I actually wouldn't be surprised if Arte consulted Maddon and asked him for his thoughts on the things Eppler values (launch angle, spin rate, etc).  Maddon has been in the game for a long time and worked with a number of very progressive, smart front offices, so it's likely that Arte respects Maddon's input.

I'm not saying Maddon told Arte to do anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if Arte at least consulted Maddon in the process.

I am very curious to see if the next GM is also allowed to make a bunch of major infrastructure moves or they just keep a lot of that intact.  

like LaCassa and Swanson.  I do think they should go with what is now the more conventional structure of having a president of baseball ops along with a GM.  

Just bring in a shit ton of smart people and let them work together.  

3 hours ago, UndertheHalo said:

Lol they have him an extension over the summer !?’! Fucking dumb as shit.  

It's almost too dumb... in fact, not to be that guy but, it's so dumb I'd almost think it was more likely Arte was so upset by the team's season that he gave Eppler an extension just so he could have the pleasure of firing him instead of not renewing him.

11 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

It's almost too dumb... in fact, not to be that guy but, it's so dumb I'd almost think it was more likely Arte was so upset by the team's season that he gave Eppler an extension just so he could have the pleasure of firing him instead of not renewing him.

It’s wild isn’t it !?! Like was Arte not aware that the team sucked shit in the midst of their 9-22 start or whatever.  Lol.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

14 minutes ago, AngelsLakersFan said:

Maybe... or Arte really liked him and gave him a vote of confidence. But in the end decided to make a change and this way Billy gets a golden parachute.

4 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s wild isn’t it !?! Like was Arte not aware that the team sucked shit in the midst of their 9-22 start or whatever.  Lol.  

Maybe he'd thought they'd turn it around? Oh wait, they kind of did, the season just ended... And I know Arte could give two shits about base runs, but this team narrowly misses out on winning the division if records were decided by total bases instead of runs scored, and if anyone is to blame for that you'd theoretically have to put it on the manager.

2 hours ago, Catwhoshatinthehat said:

The ML club got worse record wise during Eppler’s tenure. He did some good things but I don’t think I’d call his time here a success.  Wasn’t expecting him to get fired and also wasn’t calling for it to happen while I’m ambivalent about the move. Never any guarantees but 6 years of no playoffs with a healthy payroll isn’t fun. 

Not only that, but it isn’t as though he has left us with a top notch farm that has this team ready to compete real soon. Bottom line is, the team has had five losing years in a row, Eppler did a bad job bringing pitching into the organization, the farm is only marginally improved from where it was when he got here, and payroll is still high. At best, Eppler was an average GM.