• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Billy Eppler

rafibomb

I truly don't believe that Arte actually meddles as much as people think.  Or I guess it depends on your definition of meddling.  

I don't think he micromanages ever move.  I don't think he gets involved in decisions on player acquisitions unless it's a high dollar signing and even then I think he's there to do his best to sell the franchise and it's commitment to winning.  

What I think he does is to set a budget and tell his GM that the major league team better win.  

Is that the right way to do it?  probably not.  But that was Eppler's task from year to year.  Put together a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.  

I don't think Arte gives two shits about whether Eppler did a solid job of improving the farm system or brought in a top notch analytics team or improved foreign scouting or made major advances to other areas of scouting and player development if the end result isn't more wins for the major league team.   

To me, that's not meddling as much as it is being short sighted.  

15 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

I truly don't believe that Arte actually meddles as much as people think.  Or I guess it depends on your definition of meddling.  

I don't think he micromanages ever move.  I don't think he gets involved in decisions on player acquisitions unless it's a high dollar signing and even then I think he's there to do his best to sell the franchise and it's commitment to winning.  

What I think he does is to set a budget and tell his GM that the major league team better win.  

Is that the right way to do it?  probably not.  But that was Eppler's task from year to year.  Put together a team that has a chance to make the playoffs.  

I don't think Arte gives two shits about whether Eppler did a solid job of improving the farm system or brought in a top notch analytics team or improved foreign scouting or made major advances to other areas of scouting and player development if the end result isn't more wins for the major league team.   

To me, that's not meddling as much as it is being short sighted.  

That's a strong point. At the end of the day Arte probably just wants to see Trout in the playoffs as much as anyone and isn't afraid to fire people early if he doesn't see it happening. 

Surprised to see so many people defending Eppler. Tell me, what did Eppler do for our pitching staff over the past 4 seasons he was GM?

2017 - 4.12 ERA, 12th in MLB
2018 - 4.15 ERA, 19th in MLB
2019 - 5.12 ERA, 25th in MLB
2020 -  5.10 ERA, 26th in MLB

Every season it got worse and pitching is the reason why we haven't been to postseason since 2014. He did a great job rebuilding our farm system but in the process wasted 5 years of Mike Trout's career because he couldn't build a decent pitching staff.

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

That's a strong point. At the end of the day Arte probably just wants to see Trout in the playoffs as much as anyone and isn't afraid to fire people early if he doesn't see it happening. 

there's two other things that I think play into this as well.  

first, Arte is 74 years old.  Maybe some of our more 'senior' members can comment on this but I've seen family members change their mentality when they get into their 8th decade.  Mortality definitely plays a role in my opinion.  He knows he's not going to be around forever.  

second, I think Arte is kinda old school at heart.  And he's more about people than process.  He's not looking for creativity or people who think outside the box.  He wants street cred and he trusts those who have been around the block and had success.  He sees that Stoneman and Scioscia were rocks that he could rely on.  He's got LaRussa in his ear now.  He's tried being more progressive with Dipoto and Eppler but likely views those as experiments that haven't worked.  He canned Ausmus after a year and brought back Maddon.  

He's a cronyist at heart.  He's tried it differently but I think he's headed back to what he believes is tried and true.  That's why I have no doubt he'll bring in Dombrowski.  

Arte is gonna force his directive on whoever.  It's probably better than it's someone with a track record and a pretty damn good brain for baseball than some newb who's gonna get pushed around.  If anyone thinks that the next guy is gonna be allowed to continue to 'build' over the next 3-4 years, then they are delusional.  

So why not get the guy who's shown the ability to take what he's given and turn it into a winner?  On top of that, I think Dombrowski has the best change of keeping Arte a bit more patient than some guy who's never had the job.  

Personally, I would have preferred Eppler getting to stay, but I actually think Dombrowski could be a better fit than people think in keeping Arte where he needs to be and actually paying attention to what's best for the franchise long term.  

3 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

first, Arte is 74 years old.  Maybe some of our more 'senior' members can comment on this but I've seen family members change their mentality when they get into their 8th decade.  Mortality definitely plays a role in my opinion.  He knows he's not going to be around forever.  

second, I think Arte is kinda old school at heart.  And he's more about people than process.  He's not looking for creativity or people who think outside the box.  He wants street cred and he trusts those who have been around the block and had success.  He sees that Stoneman and Scioscia were rocks that he could rely on.  He's got LaRussa in his ear now.  He's tried being more progressive with Dipoto and Eppler but likely views those as experiments that haven't worked.  He canned Ausmus after a year and brought back Maddon.  

He's a cronyist at heart.  He's tried it differently but I think he's headed back to what he believes is tried and true.  That's why I have no doubt he'll bring in Dombrowski.  

Arte is gonna force his directive on whoever.  It's probably better than it's someone with a track record and a pretty damn good brain for baseball than some newb who's gonna get pushed around.  If anyone thinks that the next guy is gonna be allowed to continue to 'build' over the next 3-4 years, then they are delusional.  

So why not get the guy who's shown the ability to take what he's given and turn it into a winner?  On top of that, I think Dombrowski has the best change of keeping Arte a bit more patient than some guy who's never had the job.  

Personally, I would have preferred Eppler getting to stay, but I actually think Dombrowski could be a better fit than people think in keeping Arte where he needs to be and actually paying attention to what's best for the franchise long term.  

I think you're right and I think that's why Dombrowski may end up working out.  He was actually very good at team building in that world.  Sandy Alderson would have been the perfect melding of stats and scouting but Dombrowski has outperformed him and done it in multiple places.  He's also managed to thrive under an aging owner desperate to win now.

19 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

This should be post of the day.  This just seems to be full of truths.  

27 minutes ago, Dochalo said:

Bingo.  If Arte hires a "no name," or rather, a young prodigy in an analytical office, Arte would likely continue to meddle and interfere with personnel decisions.  However, if he hires someone he respects a lot, such as Dombrowski, he will likely let Dombrowski make the decisions, feeling that he has earned the right to be trusted.

And in that regard, I agree that Dombrowski might be the best for us, because he'll keep our owner at bay and not as involved with personnel decisions.  I also wonder how much Arte will consult Maddon, who he respects a lot, in terms of who Maddon thinks will be a strong President / GM for this franchise.  Part of me also wonders if Arte consulted Maddon at all about keeping / firing Eppler ... but we'll likely never know that one.

So that said, here's hoping it's Dombrowski, and here's hoping Dombrowski has the foresight to hire a farm system building GM.