• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Angels fire Billy Eppler

rafibomb

4 minutes ago, angelsnationtalk said:

Expect some BIG changes with the new GM. 

Also, I'm not giving Eppler that much credit for "rebuilding" our farm system. They still have a bottom 5 system this year and have never had a strong farm. They have Adell and Marsh but if one is traded then it's thin again.

Eppler kept Trout, Brough in Ohtani, found Bundy/Goodwin/LaStella/Mayers and a few others, but still had some major whiffs. 

Have compared the system to pre-Eppler days? our system now is days better than what it was under Dipoto.

It's not top 5, but neither is it in the bottom 10. 

1 minute ago, eligrba4ever said:

On Saturday, Trout said losing "sucks." He wants that to end. Winning will make him happy. He's not taking Billy on his next fishing trip in South Joizey.

I said that. If this new GM doesn’t get us to the playoffs next year.... Trout might request a trade. I know that seems ridiculous but I can see it happening. 

Former Angels baseball operations employee here. I'm flat out pissed that Billy is getting the boot here. He's one hell of a guy and hired some of the smartest people I've met for his baseball ops department. It's really only in the last year that we were able to operate like a modern analytics department and Billy is the guy that made it possible. I get sometimes this is just the way it goes, but man, this is a load of shit if you ask me.

Found this interesting comment, which i think kind of goes along with everything we've talked about. I wouldn't not be surprised, especially with the article that mentioned how we're under staff on the development side. 

8 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Have compared the system to pre-Eppler days? our system now is days better than what it was under Dipoto.

A bunch of mediocre losing seasons automatically pumped our farm system, even I could have improved the team.  Not much had panned out until this past month basically.  Who knows if all of these guys are sustainable, likely not.

13 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Cat Glasses GIF by Leroy Patterson

MLB.com had us 21st after the amateur draft. And Bleacher-Report had us 24th at the same time and 23rd after the trade deadline. So yeah, we're kind of still in the bottom 10. Eppler made improvements but not nearly enough.

36 minutes ago, James said:

I would like to see Dombrowski as president and Billy Owens put in as GM. 

LaRussa and Dombrowski have a pretty close relationship. Pretty obvious a birdie is likely in the ear of Arte

I saw the writing on the wall last week when Victor and Gubi put the camera on LaRussa in the box and started talking about his strong relationship with Pujols and Moreno. I think that is maybe the second time ever he's been on camera during and Angels game and the timing was quite strange.

Just now, Ariamus said:

MLB.com had us 21st after the amateur draft. And Bleacher-Report had us 24th at the same time and 23rd after the trade deadline. So yeah, we're kind of still in the bottom 10. Eppler made improvements but not nearly enough.

MLB.com and Bleacher report?? What did the real sources have to say?

1 minute ago, AngelsLakersFan said:
3 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

MLB.com and Bleacher report?? What did the real sources have to say?

Keith Law had us in the mid to high-teens in the Spring but I can't seem to find his post-draft rankings, if any. Also, I don't subscribe to Baseball America.

5 minutes ago, Ariamus said:

Keith Law had us in the mid to high-teens in the Spring but I can't seem to find his post-draft rankings, if any. Also, I don't subscribe to Baseball America.

When Keith Law posts something positive about us I tend to listen.  The reason for that is he is the one that once called us the worst farm he had ever seen.  

49 minutes ago, Pancake Bear said:

This guy knows what he’s talking about. 

43 minutes ago, Stradling said:

This is probably the best thing that will be posted in this thread. 

Thank you for the compliments. 

As I posted in the other thread, I don't like this move.  Dipoto completely made a mess of the team by trading away nearly all prospects of value for marginal and iffy players.  Yes, the Angels went to the playoffs in 2014 and was in it the last day in 2015, but the damage done by Dipoto haunted the Angels ever since. The only way to get back to winning quickly is to overspend and sign permium FAs and hope they work out.  But of course Arte needed yacht fuel and/or Eppler didn't like the FA's available for the price and the Angels didn't really sign anyone to a multiyear FA contract.  Thus, Eppler decided to rebuild while trying to compete which is very difficult to do.  Usually teams do one or the other but Eppler was tasked of doing both, which is pretty much impossible.  He rebuilt the farm system to be respectable without a draft pick in the single digits, while winning at least 72 games every season.  The farm system is really starting to bear fruit with some solid players upcoming and now he gets fired.  Good decision making Moreno. 

56 minutes ago, Angel Oracle said:

Dombrowski as VP of baseball operations and White as GM, if Arte finally agrees with the new FO setting.

Yes, I will happily take this.  Logan White or any Dodger / Ray FO member.  I mean, look at those 2 teams - both #1 seeds, both absolutely stacked in talent in both the majors AND minors.  That is what I want - a winner both today and tomorrow.

Dombrowski has built winners in the past, but I do think he would be best served with a strong farm system builder as his #2.  I think most of us agree in that regard.

51 minutes ago, AngelsFaninGA said:

By the end of Scioscia's tenure I had come to realize that he was not the cause of the team's struggles. I see it the same here. The one constant all these years has been Arte, and he is sadly the only person in the organization not accountable to anyone.

It's turning into a dangerous cycle where the more he meddles, the worse the team gets, which leads to him meddling even more to supposedly "fix" the issue. It's not going to get better soon. 

Unfortunately though, we cannot fire the owner.

So all we can hope for is our meddlesome owner to stumble into a good solution.