• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Bring back Eppler...for another year

Angelsjunky

Here's why. Entering 2020, there was the sense that the clock was ticking, that he had through the end of his contract to produce signs that the team was headed in the right direction.

After the Angels started 10-22, their worst start in franchise history I believe, people were calling for his head. 

Since then, the Angels have played much better - and most of the signs we hoped to see materialized. The problem is that it was within a 60-game season, which Eppler couldn't do anything about.

Meaning, if the underlying requirement for him to stay beyond 2020 was for the team to start moving in the right direction, there are only two logical conclusions based on this year:

1) It is moving in the right direction, based on the performance of the team in the second half of the short season and the development and performance of various young players and Eppler acquisitions: Rendon, Bundy, Canning, Barria, Walsh, Ward, Mayers, etc.

2) It is too soon to tell: 25ish games does not give us enough information to go on, but it at least re-balanced the terrible start somewhat.

Either way, why fire him when the team--at the very least--tilted in the right direction? If they're legitimate moving in the right direction, great, let's keep going. If it is too soon to tell, then we need to give it more time, see how the offseason unfolds and what 2021 looks like. It isn't like the Angels are under the pressure of Trout potentially leaving anytime soon like they were a couple years ago.

Now some folks--those clamoring for a new GM--probably reached a third conclusion:

3) No postseason, no cigar. We need a new GM who will build a winner.

The problem here comes back to the shortened season. How can we base the firing of a GM based upon a 60-game season? The Angels have gone 16-11 since their 10-22 start. If we extrapolate that performance out over the 101 games that would normally remain, that's 60 more wins or an 86-76 final record. Probably not good enough for the postseason, but that would've been a +14 win swing from last year and their best record since 2014.

So give it another year, and only a one-year commitment. See what he does this offseason and whether the Angels can build upon what we've seen this year (the same logic applies to Maddon - he needs time to adjust the clubhouse culture to his style).

Looking forward to what Eppler, Maddon and the Angels do in 2021. 

I'm not sure I would stay for only a one year contract if I was Eppler.  I would want more of a commitment by the Angels before signing another deal.  Working in the last year of a contract must be a harrowing experience unless you already know the end result.  Why would someone do that to be a GM?

If Eppler returns, I am assuming it will be for a three year contract.

I was on the Dump Eppler train before understanding the lack of organizational infrastructure that many other teams have.  Eppler or any future Angel GM will need help in scouting and player development.  It would be a bad move to replace Eppler with someone new and then provide the FNG more resources than what Eppler had to work with.

22 minutes ago, eligrba said:

I was on the Dump Eppler train before understanding the lack of organizational infrastructure that many other teams have.  Eppler or any future Angel GM will need help in scouting and player development.  It would be a bad move to replace Eppler with someone new and then provide the FNG more resources than what Eppler had to work with.

This is why I think Eppler should be retained unless ownership adopts new operations priorities  Barring them coming to understanding that a winning culture has less to do with the star-value of players than excellence in scouting/development so that the GM has the budget and trade-chip wherewithal to bring in the right player(s) at the right time, a FNG will be more of the same and possibly another Dipoto debacle.  Unless they are ready to step back, invest far more heavily in the lower-level personnel infrastructure and take a long-term approach, Eppler may be the best option they have.

No GM signs/extends for one year. It is more an insult than an endorsement. In fact, it's an explicit threat. The owner saying that he has to prove he's worth a longer term in this upcoming one year only.  And the other GMs know this and have leverage in any trade discussions, knowing Eppler is essentially on probation. 

With Trout's support for Eppler on and off the field I can't see Arte doing anything radical. Maybe extend Eppler for three years (probably the respectable minimum) and hope he justifies Trout's faith. 

Sports is supposed to be about winning, but personal relationships within organizations make it hard to be ruthless. Not the George Steinbrenner template. 

I wouldn’t wait until after the post season to pull the trigger, if that is the plan. And if the plan is also Dombrowski, get him in quickly....he’s available, no need to wait....player personnel decisions start pretty quickly after the postseason, even sooner in some cases, and the more time Dombrowski has to evaluate, the better...