• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Mike Trout on postseason drought: ‘It’s time. We’ve got to get to the playoffs’

AngelsWin.com

The Angels are again preparing to pack their bags before an October of watching other teams in the postseason, followed by a winter of trying to do what it takes to join them.

For Mike Trout, who has continued to build a Hall of Fame career while being notably absent from the playoffs, it is beyond frustrating.

“The biggest thing is getting to the playoffs,” Trout said Saturday. “You guys see it. I see it. It sucks, being out of it. It’s time. We got to get to the playoffs.”

The Angels came up painfully short in this coronavirus-shortened season, digging themselves too deep a hole over the first month to escape with a strong second month. They were eliminated with a loss to the Dodgers on Friday in the 58th game of 60.

“You look at this team we have right now, it could have been a different story if we played a full season,” Trout said. “We just got hot a little late, and we fell short.”

Another season short of the playoffs is certainly not what Trout expected 18 months ago, when he committed for 10 years beyond the two he had left on his contract.

Trout said at the time that he believed in the Angels, and specifically in general manager Billy Eppler, whose future is in limbo with a contract expiring at the end of this season.

“Obviously, Billy was a big reason I signed back here,” Trout said. “Billy and I have built a friendship over the years. You know he’s put a lot of great teams together and obviously it just didn’t work out these last few years, but the relationship and the friendship I’ve built with Billy, obviously goes beyond baseball now … I don’t know what direction they’re going to go or what’s going to happen. I guess we’ll see here in a couple of days.”

Whoever is working on the Angels’ roster over the winter, Eppler or his successor, Trout said he would continue to provide whatever feedback or support is requested.

“Whatever they need, I’m definitely here to give whatever I think, and obviously they listen,” Trout said. “Hopefully we make some moves this offseason to get over the top … I couldn’t even tell you who the top free agents are. If there’s a guy that could help this team, I’m 100 percent trying to recruit him.”

As for his own performance, Trout will head into the final day of the season with a .281 average, 17 homers and a .993 OPS. His OPS has been over 1.000 each of the past three seasons.

While the numbers would be outstanding by the standards of anyone in the majors, Trout was disappointed with his season.

“I just didn’t have the consistency at the plate,” he said. “I’d go through a good stretch and then I’d lose it for a little bit. When you have a full season, you minimize that little skid or slump. In a 60-game season, it’s obviously more important.”

Trout’s slight dip could result in his first time ever being out of the top four in the MVP race. Jose Ramirez, Jose Abreu, Tim Anderson, DJ LeMahieu and Nelson Cruz all have also had MVP-caliber seasons.

All of those players are on teams headed to the playoffs. The Angels have been there only once with Trout, in 2014.

“I don’t like losing,” he said. “I want to get to the playoffs. I think that every time we come into spring training our main goal is to get to the playoffs and bring a championship to Anaheim. That’s just the mindset. You come up short and you’re that close, it sucks.”

LINEUP SHUFFLE

Trout, Anthony Rendon and Justin Upton were among the regulars to get the night off Saturday, with the game rendered meaningless by the Angels’ loss Friday.

Manager Joe Maddon instead used the kind of lineup you’d see in spring training, with young players throughout. He put Jo Adell in center field and gave Jared Walsh a shot in right field.

Maddon also was able to pencil Elliot Soto in at shortstop for his first major-league start. Jahmai Jones was promoted to make his first major-league start at second base.

The middle infield spots were open because Rendon got the night off – moving David Fletcher to third – and because Andrelton Simmons opted out and Luis Rengifo went on the injured list with a strained hamstring.

The Angels also scratched their scheduled starters for the final two games. Dylan Bundy had been scheduled to pitch Saturday, but he had a cut on his finger, Maddon said, so Julio Teheran started. Maddon said Bundy could have pitched if the game mattered.

Griffin Canning, who was scheduled for Sunday, will not pitch either. Maddon said there’s nothing wrong with Canning, but there’s no reason to risk injury with him in a meaningless game. They are likely to have a bullpen game instead.

View the full article

I also vividly remember Mike Trout going ice cold for like 3 weeks in late August/September and thus substantially hampering his quest for the playoffs in 2018.  I love Mike Trout as much as anyone but even Mike would tell you that the Angels failures are a team effort.  Guess who’s on the team ! ? 

Edited by UndertheHalo

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

The comments that stood out to me were the ones about his relationship with Eppler. Arte better tread carefully here.  I see almost no value in getting rid of Billy Eppler this winter.  

Biggest take away I took. 

I would not be surprised if Eppler stays a year, especially since the farm system is finally starting to blossom. We could potentially see, Adell, Marsh, Detmers and Rodriguez up sometimes next season. 

11 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I also vividly remember Mike Trout going ice cold for like 3 weeks in late August/September and thus substantially hampering his quest for the playoffs in 2018.  I love Mike Trout as much as anyone but even Mike would tell you that the Angels failures are a team effort.  Guess who’s on the team ! ? 

2018? Okay, now you're just making up stuff. While Pujols wasn't the only problem for the Angels missing the postseason like every single season of the Trout Era, he's been a big part of it. Bad starting pitching, bad bullpen, etc. It's too bad the Angels couldn't get the monster hitter of Pujols of St. Louis to be in an Angels uniform. 

31 minutes ago, JustATroutFan said:

2018? Okay, now you're just making up stuff. While Pujols wasn't the only problem for the Angels missing the postseason like every single season of the Trout Era, he's been a big part of it. Bad starting pitching, bad bullpen, etc. It's too bad the Angels couldn't get the monster hitter of Pujols of St. Louis to be in an Angels uniform. 

Im not making it up.  Maybe you missed it when he didn’t do shit for weeks that year.  I mean I get it.  I’m sure it was tough to pay attention while you were busy beating off to him.  Pujols later years with the angels are obviously an issue.  He has been overpaid.  It’s not a primary issue for the teams failures.  Your first post in this thread called the guy a thief and a steroid freak or whatever.  Dumb ass things to say.  and I told you so.  

do let me know about how I did with the capitalization though.  

Edited by UndertheHalo

20 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s probably as much as we’ll ever get from Trout in terms of sending a signal out publicly about his wishes.  Again, imo Moreno would be wise to not fuck around with this.  

Yeah Eppler knows what he has to do this offseason. His farm is starting to blossom, now it’s time to hit the free agent market hard. 

Only thing that will come from getting rid of Eppler is you’ll piss off Trout. They already got rid of his two best buds.... so Moreno better not fuck around.

44 minutes ago, Vlad27Trout27 said:

Biggest take away I took. 

I would not be surprised if Eppler stays a year, especially since the farm system is finally starting to blossom. We could potentially see, Adell, Marsh, Detmers and Rodriguez up sometimes next season. 

You've got a manager signed for two more years, the smart move would be to try to see if the pairing can build on how they finished this year.... and if not clean house and bring in a GM and let him pick his manager... But, this is Arte soo.

1 hour ago, UndertheHalo said:

It’s probably as much as we’ll ever get from Trout in terms of sending a signal out publicly about his wishes.  Again, imo Moreno would be wise to not fuck around with this.  

Trout has actually become gradually more vocal in recent seasons. There’s no doubt that his frustration is gradually increasing as well. If the playoff format goes back to normal next season it’s going to be even tougher to get there. 

3 minutes ago, RendZone said:

Trout has actually become gradually more vocal in recent seasons. There’s no doubt that his frustration is gradually increasing as well. If the playoff format goes back to normal next season it’s going to be even tougher to get there. 

Sounds like Arte should bust the luxury tax threshold and get some guys. 

Great... We're at a weird crossroad.... 

The Angels have never had a winning record under the control of Billy Eppler. Though Eppler is good at finding waiver players/etc, he struggles heavily with FA signings and pitching help.

Mike Trout apparently has built a good work/personal relationship with Billy Eppler and really likes his ideas and direction. It's basically what made him sign to stay.

Now comes the question... Does Arte keep Eppler or let him walk? Both answers would be right and wrong. 

🤦‍♂️