• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

OC Register: Angels late September rally ends with elimination from postseason chase

AngelsWin.com

The Angels took a bumpy, wild ride to end up in a painfully familiar place.

The Angels’ 9-5 loss to the Dodgers on Friday night at Dodger Stadium eliminated them from contention for the postseason, once again barely missing the October party.

The Angels (26-32) ended up as the last team in the American League knocked out of postseason contention for the fourth time in Mike Trout’s tenure. They were also the “bubble team” in 2012, 2015 and 2017.

They led 3-1 in the third — on Trout’s first homer against Clayton Kershaw — and 5-3 in the fifth, before the Dodgers came back. Matt Andriese gave up a go-ahead homer to Will Smith in the fifth, and then the Dodgers tacked on late runs to put the Angels away.

The only way to put a better spin on the disappointing end is that is should have been over a while ago.

After their loss on Sept. 2, the Angels were 12-25 and nine games behind the Houston Astros for the playoff spot that goes to the second-place team in the American League West. The Angels were tied for the worst record in the American League.

But the Angels won 14 of their next 20 games to remain barely alive into the final weekend of the season. Heading into the 58th game of their 60-game season, the Angels needed to win the remaining three games and they needed the Astros to lose all three of theirs.

The Astros were leading by a run going to the bottom of the ninth in Arlington, but Rangers first baseman Ronald Guzman hit a homer to tie it with two outs and two strikes. The Rangers scored twice in the 10th to overcome another deficit and beat the Astros.

That rollercoaster of emotions for the Angels happened during the fourth and fifth innings of their game at Dodger Stadium, as the teams were exchanging homers.

Trout’s three-run homer against Clayton Kershaw in the top of the third put the Angels on top 3-1. It was Trout’s first homer in 21 plate appearances against Kershaw.

It was also the first of six straight half innings that included at least one homer.

Justin Upton and Jared Walsh also homered for the Angels, as both players continued their torrid finishes. Upton is 23 for 73 (.315) with six homers in his last 21 games. Walsh is 24 for 67 (.358) with eight homers in his last 16 games.

Walsh’s homer gave the Angels a 5-3 lead, but Andrew Heaney couldn’t get another out. Heaney gave up Justin Turner’s second homer and then a single to Max Muncy, just before Andriese gave up a two-run homer to Smith to put the Dodgers up 6-5.

View the full article

With a longer season l think we would catch and pass Houston. We need a true Ace and some bullpen help next season and we should be good to go, with one exception SS. Fletcher can play 2B or SS, so l would like to bring back Simmons on a 3 year deal, or sign La Stella to play 2B. La Stella shouldn't cost all that much.

Ohtani could very well be a true ace or at least solid middle rotation guy next season, we have to give him the chance early on to see.  Last night Dodgers fans (on Reddit) were talking about getting him from us and 'making him good'.  Don't believe for a minute they're kidding or it won't happen.

44 minutes ago, Ace-Of-Diamonds said:

With a longer season l think we would catch and pass Houston. We need a true Ace and some bullpen help next season and we should be good to go, with one exception SS. Fletcher can play 2B or SS, so l would like to bring back Simmons on a 3 year deal, or sign La Stella to play 2B. La Stella shouldn't cost all that much.

I like the idea of bringing either La Stella or Simmons back.  I prefer Simmons because Fletcher is a better 2b and would haveva great defensive infield. 

49 minutes ago, stormngt said:

I like the idea of bringing either La Stella or Simmons back.  I prefer Simmons because Fletcher is a better 2b and would haveva great defensive infield. 

If Rengifo has a 3 on-base game vs the Dodgers, I'll disagree and hope you change your mind too.  He still has a few games to really show who he is. And he has turned things up lately and is scoring runs regardless of getting hits, putting pressure on the defense.  We need a pest with a decent glove, not a defensive wizard that is mediocre with the bat and slow on the base paths (Simmons) and slowing down further.  

47 minutes ago, Angel said:

If Rengifo has a 3 on-base game vs the Dodgers, I'll disagree and hope you change your mind too.  He still has a few games to really show who he is. And he has turned things up lately and is scoring runs regardless of getting hits, putting pressure on the defense.  We need a pest with a decent glove, not a defensive wizard that is mediocre with the bat and slow on the base paths (Simmons) and slowing down further.  

At SS I would take the defensive wizard.   And Renifro has never shown the ability with the bat than Simmons.  Therefore the issue is mute.

32 minutes ago, stormngt said:

At SS I would take the defensive wizard.   And Renifro has never shown the ability with the bat than Simmons.  Therefore the issue is mute.

Rengifo is an OBP guy with speed, Simmons doesn't focus on OBP, doesn't walk much and probably prefers to stay off the bases.  I prefer the former with less defense, Simmons also wasn't as valuable this year defensively as he usually is.

51 minutes ago, Angel said:

Rengifo is an OBP guy with speed, Simmons doesn't focus on OBP, doesn't walk much and probably prefers to stay off the bases.  I prefer the former with less defense, Simmons also wasn't as valuable this year defensively as he usually is.

We disagree.  Great defemsevis essential for great pitching.

2 hours ago, Angel said:

That ship has left port. ran into sandbar, sprung a leak and sank. In My Opinion, that is...

Edited by Ace-Of-Diamonds