• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

Joe Maddon is a terrible manager

Chuck

Maddon thought enough of Thaiss to start him at 2nd base and left field on consecutive days, both positions he’s never played before.  So one of 3 things is true, Maddon thinks highly of him, or because of how poorly he played defense at those new positions we should question Maddons ability to make such judgements, or both.  

2 hours ago, cvdog said:

I agree. Joe inherited a garbage pitching staff. There wasn't enough lipstick to cover this pig. I have no doubt he will retool the pitching. Weed out the slugs. If we are lucky enough to play a full season in 2021, we're making playoffs. 

People already knew where the Angels were before the season started.

Some Flashy Names, but not a playoff team.

Agree.  Pitching staff needs serious improvements. 

Pujols should retire, free up more cap for pitchers. 

Andrelton off the payroll also helps cap.

Justin Upton a bit of an overpay.

$100M in Annual Salary tied up in 4 players, none pitchers

Winning games late to fall short of playoffs only hurts draft position.

Maddon. may make some questionable in-game decisions, but he did just lead this team on a significant second half charge.  More importantly, though, is that the staff he put in place has helped a lot of our young players show significant in-season growth (Walsh, Ward, Barria, etc), and I think that has to be a reflection of Maddon, too.  And for that reason, I'm pleased with how he's done on the whole, and I look forward to seeing this team's growth over a course of a full year next year.

6 hours ago, Game 6 said:

Your three things ended up being only two things (ouch for your mental acuity) so allow me to add the third thing for you. 

Maddon gave him a shot and he failed. This is it. All of it. Those two games were embarrassing for Thaiss. I root for him so I felt bad for him, but wow, that was as bad as it gets.

So the third thing is he failed. Yes, he failed.

He went back to the Dirtbags Diamond while Walsh and Ward played with the major league club.

Strad, do you think there is another explanation? It's pretty obvious.

My three things were three.   One he liked him, two maybe he isn’t the best judge of a players ability or three both.  And no those games weren’t embarrassing for Thaiss they were embarrassing for Maddon. 

2 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Heaney didn't pitch well. That's the problem.  This is a pitcher who should have done much better than what he did.  Pena walks the first two batters he sees before giving up a hit.  That's the problem. 

How is Joe supposed to manage when the pitching shits the bed?

How bout you don’t let two pitchers get two outs and then pull them.   

18 minutes ago, eligrba said:

Heaney didn't pitch well. That's the problem.  This is a pitcher who should have done much better than what he did.  Pena walks the first two batters he sees before giving up a hit.  That's the problem. 

How is Joe supposed to manage when the pitching shits the bed?

I mean, you know.  The Dodgers are the best team in baseball this year.  They beat us, just as they have beaten many teams this year.

We basically basically had to go 5-0 on the road against 2 of the best 5 teams in baseball.  Very difficult for any team to do that.

7 hours ago, JocStrapling said:

Trust me, the panic over Covid will magically start to subside after Nov. Spring training should be fairly normal...that’s if the Wackos didn’t burn down the stadiums before then. 

Joc, I really do not mean this to be personal or political, but this has to be the dumbest and most dangerous thing I have read on this site.  This kind of thinking is literally endangering my family.  Obviously, you have not had a family member contract Covid-19 or you would not be so callous to suggest that it is spread by politics.

27 minutes ago, NorCal Halo said:

Joc, I really do not mean this to be personal or political, but this has to be the dumbest and most dangerous thing I have read on this site.  This kind of thinking is literally endangering my family.  Obviously, you have not had a family member contract Covid-19 or you would not be so callous to suggest that it is spread by politics.

Ha, take a gander at the political board when you have time. 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I am guessing on the reasons behind those moves but it might be because of the new rule. If a pitcher gets the last out in an inning, then they are not required to face 3 batters. It also provides an opportunity to do a specific match up in the next inning. Of course this only works if the new pitcher doesn’t shit the bed....like what happened. 

10 hours ago, Blarg said:

Nope, this is the guy you all wanted. The guy you all said he was the mastermind of the 2002 season. You have to acknowledge he did commandeer the Angels to the best second half record, even though it will amount to nothing more than a mid level or worse draft pick. You've got two more years of this and you might as well suck it up and accept it. 

Buyer’s remorse

Im really struggling to agree with this.
When the bullpan fails as often as it does, and he doesnt have any other options, how is it fair to put it on him?
Weve build the bullpen for years now with clean peanuts and castoffs expecting them to somehow be more than they were.
WE wanted Maddon for reasons, what suddenly hes an idiot? 

1 hour ago, Stradling said:

I’ve never been a fan of doing that.   They got two outs just fine, let them get the third.

Mayers has pitched a lot of innings (19.1) for a reliever since August 31.   Might be getting fatigued.   Could be good to shut him down the final two days of the season.

Edited by Angel Oracle

2 hours ago, Angel Oracle said:

Maddon has assembled a solid coaching staff that is already paying dividends, albeit still having a few pitching staff spots to fill.

Time to focus on the off-season moves and 2021

Right, I agree with this.

As fans, we tend to assess in-game decisions as a sign of a manager's competence.  Granted, that's a significant part, but with a lot of decisions these days actually occurring in the FO (i.e., a template is provided in terms of when to use which pitcher, hitter, etc), the other aspects of managing are becoming just as important - keeping a strong clubhouse, having a good coaching staff in place to help facilitate player development, etc.

Maddon seems to be genuinely liked, keeps a good clubhouse, and appears to have a lot of our young players trending in the right direction.  His in-game decision making can be questioned, but that's true of a lot of managers.  

I give Maddon credit for being adaptable and open to change, which is important in this era of never-ending information.

29 minutes ago, Angels 1961 said:

To much buy the cheat sheet all teams and players use. Use your gut and common sense no need to bring in Pena or Mayers last night. Bedrosian was pitching well as was Buttrey just over managing. Sick of players looking under hat at what to throw or where to position themselves. Do your homework before the game. 

Except the gut is what got Maddon in trouble last night. 

Man Chuck, I want to agree with you but his decisions on the surface and prior to hindsight looked reasonable.  The Dodgers really just showed up a little more than we did, even Kershaw got smacked around so it was one of those games where things happen anyways.  Even spooky Michael Mayers got smacked up.

I really think Maddon is the best thing to happen to this franchise since the last time Maddon was here.  The ship is headed in the right direction and land is ahoy.