• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

AngelsWin.com - THE Internet Home for Angels fans! Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

Register today to comment and join the most interactive online Angels community on the net!

Once you're a member you'll see less advertisements. If you become a Premium member and you won't see any ads! 

IGNORED

How much can the Angels really spend for 2021?

Docwaukee

20 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

I agree with this. I posted on the gameday thread last night that the Dodgers have had drafted/MiLB developed pitchers start 55 of their 58 games - Joe Kelley was an opener a few games ago and Alex Wood has two spot starts. The Angels homegrown pitchers have started only 20 of their 58 games.

It makes a huge difference to be able to have an ongoing flow of effective, cost controlled pitchers in the rotation. The Angels have not had that for a long time. They only took one pitcher (Canning/2nd Round) in the first two rounds of the 5 drafts from 2015 to 2019. Maybe it's changing, they took Detmers in the 1st round last year.

Yeah, the one benefit of the early draft is near to ready MLB pitchers, while the Angels were trying to steal every position player, it's finally starting to show up in the field but not nearly as much on the mound.  Bauer will not fix this team or put us over the top, it's going to have to be a team effort, no FA signing will do it tbh.

Show Arte that huge FA signings are for desperate losers.  Only sign players who have earned their keep.

50 minutes ago, Game 6 said:

I agree with this. I posted on the gameday thread last night that the Dodgers have had drafted/MiLB developed pitchers start 55 of their 58 games - Joe Kelley was an opener a few games ago and Alex Wood has two spot starts. The Angels homegrown pitchers have started only 20 of their 58 games.

It makes a huge difference to be able to have an ongoing flow of effective, cost controlled pitchers in the rotation. The Angels have not had that for a long time. They only took one pitcher (Canning/2nd Round) in the first two rounds of the 5 drafts from 2015 to 2019. Maybe it's changing, they took Detmers in the 1st round last year.

Yeah.  Ideally, I'd like to go all-in on Bauer, but the rest of the growth should come internally.  Barria, Canning, Ohtani, Sandoval, Suarez, Detmers, Rodriguez, etc ..

There are a lot of interesting arms, and our pitching depth actually looks pretty decent, on the condition we add a significant SP to the current rotation.  Great teams like the Dodgers are literally stashing pitchers like May and Gonsolin in AAA until they have injuries, then they come up, dominate, and become part of the rotation indefinitely.  For us, we are basically trying to rush guys (like Detmers, Adell this year, etc) to fill holes quickly.  

For now though, let the kids develop and take their time.  Plug up our SP hole with a FA, fill out the rotation, but let the kids learn the instruction they need in the minors, so that when they are truly ready, they can be promoted and fill out the rotation seamlessly.