• Welcome to AngelsWin.com

Join The Internet Home for Angels fans today! We're Unraveling Angels Baseball ... One Thread at a Time.

• AngelsWin.com's Charity of the Month

Holy Hell, Trevor Bauer!

On the Maria Torres article...

She doesn't have any direct quotes, but it seems like she heard some information that led her to write the article.

These are the parts of the article where it seems like she has some intel:

"But he’s not a great fit in Anaheim, according to people with knowledge of the Angels’ thinking, even if the team were to offer him the record-setting annual value (greater than $36 million) he reportedly seeks."

"The relationship between Bauer and Callaway is believed to be eroded beyond repair, according to a person with knowledge of Bauer’s current negotiations."

"That may not be a hopeless scenario. Minasian still needs to get to know the talent he has. He and his Angels colleagues are encouraged by the potential of youngsters Jaime Barria, Griffin Canning and Patrick Sandoval. They’re confident Dylan Bundy and Andrew Heaney, both of whom are in the final seasons of their contracts, will continue to progress. They’re comfortable giving two-way player Shohei Ohtani an opportunity to pitch like the star he was when healthy in 2018. And Quintana is a proven commodity."

It's clear that she spoke to some people before writing this article, but it's weird that she didn't actually quote anyone.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is really, really gay. It's January 11th you fuckin attention whore. Sign with somebody.

🧸🥞👀

Nicely done @John Taylor  

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Is it really trolling? It’s a jab/joke, this team has been bad for quite some time now. With the same glaring need each off season. What do you expect?

This board pretty much all agreed that we needed 2 pitchers this off-season. Snell, Darvish, Bauer Gray, Marquez were the names being thrown around. This board all agreed that this was the year it made the most sense for Arte to spend. That the AL West was ours for the taking. 

Surely you can’t be thrilled about how this has played out?

Actually, you can spin the offseason so far both ways. No team in the AL West has improved enough to be way ahead of the other teams. The fact that Arte hasn't taken advantage so far sucks but since other division teams owners also haven't taken advantage means you can choose to be positive about the additions the Angels have made and are probably still not done. Your definition of thrilled is also different than other posters here.

3 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

It doesn’t seem to me that there’s a starting pitcher that they’ll be developing coming soon that can significantly impact the quality of the rotation. 

Ooh this is gonna trigger the fuck out of Scotty.

But we have Chris Rodriguez who has all the potential to be a #1. Detmers I'm not so sure about but he'll be in Anaheim next year, barring something catastrophic.

2 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

But we have Chris Rodriguez who has all the potential to be a #1. Detmers I'm not so sure about but he'll be in Anaheim next year, barring something catastrophic.

And that guy that was an asshole in high school.

8 minutes ago, CanadianHalo said:

Is it really trolling? It’s a jab/joke, this team has been bad for quite some time now. With the same glaring need each off season. What do you expect?

This board pretty much all agreed that we needed 2 pitchers this off-season. Snell, Darvish, Bauer Gray, Marquez were the names being thrown around. This board all agreed that this was the year it made the most sense for Arte to spend. That the AL West was ours for the taking. 

Surely you can’t be thrilled about how this has played out?

No not thrilled but they’ve said all along they will get two starters.  

5 minutes ago, tdawg87 said:

I know there’s interesting guys.  Rodriguez is a fun prospect but he’s also a guy that’s barely pitched in 3 years.  I don’t give a shit what Scotty says.  Of course high hopes for Detmers.  Still doesn’t seem like this commitment to Trout we kept hearing about. 

Also, if the Angels were “never” a good fit for Bauer, why wasn’t this published 2 months ago? The premise of the article in combination with the timing doesn’t make any sense.

As to her saying all the Angels’ top prospects are high risk, not even sure what that means. I suppose they are high risk, but no more high risk than any other prospect except for maybe the top 2 or 3. And I doubt any team is demanding a top 2 or 3 prospect for a starter, unless she’s talking about guys like Castillo, who were likely never available anyway.

5 minutes ago, ADHB said:

Also, if the Angels were “never” a good fit for Bauer, why wasn’t this published 2 months ago?

Yeah. The article is stated as if everyone should've known this, yet an article indicating such was never posted before today.

1 minute ago, Trendon said:

Yeah. The article is stated as if everyone should've known this, yet an article indicating such was never posted before today.

Yeah, I mean... Callaway has been the pitching coach for over a year. If him being here was a non-starter for Bauer, why wasn’t this public information all along? Heck, Arte himself should have said or had someone say Bauer wasn’t likely an option, since we know how much he hates the Angels being used as leverage in negotiations.

4 minutes ago, ADHB said:

Also, if the Angels were “never” a good fit for Bauer, why wasn’t this published 2 months ago? The premise of the article in combination with the timing doesn’t make any sense.

As to her saying all the Angels’ top prospects are high risk, not even sure what that means. I suppose they are high risk, but no more high risk than any other prospect except for maybe the top 2 or 3. And I doubt any team is demanding a top 2 or 3 prospect for a starter, unless she’s talking about guys like Castillo, who were likely never available anyway.

Why would the Angels come out and say that 2 months ago? Makes no sense for them to completely eliminate themselves.

You never know how things may play out. Look at the whole Porter/Mets thing. What if the Mets had ruled out Bauer due to the incident with Kate after the Porter news. Now all of a sudden maybe Bauer is sitting around with no suitors. 

Sounds like there was never a real possibility but it makes no sense to close the door on yourself in case of the off chance he becomes a realistic option

Just now, beatlesrule said:

I know but that shows her ignorance. The Angels can get a front line starter if they wanted him bad enough.

I wouldn't call Gray a "front line" starter, personally, but I agree. 

Adell might be a "high risk" guy but so are almost all top prospects. 

As for Marsh and Detmers, they're about as sure as it gets as far as prospects go. Both will be major leaguers. 

Such an idiotic, uneducated statement to make. And she's our "beat writer"? Fuck that noise.

I think they could/could have gotten a better starter than Quintana with their prospects. 

Whether that would've been a good move is another matter.  By all accounts, theres not a ton of depth and a lot of the top guys have little experience and/or are very young

If this is true its a letdown, obviously.

Buuuut, his track record is kind of risky in regards to the money hes gonna cost. If we did sign him id be happy, but in reality they might be better not...

Watched a video of him last night. Apparently his emergence is in a big part because of the shit bubba was selling.... and MLB may end up cracking down on that. Which will be interesting if that happens, for a lot of pitchers

8 minutes ago, UndertheHalo said:

I know there’s interesting guys.  Rodriguez is a fun prospect but he’s also a guy that’s barely pitched in 3 years.  I don’t give a shit what Scotty says.  Of course high hopes for Detmers.  Still doesn’t seem like this commitment to Trout we kept hearing about. 

It's not just Scotty and it's not just Angels fans or scouts.   The only question mark with Rodriguez is if the back is 100% -- until he goes a season without a flare up or issue related to his back it will be something people will talk about but nobody questions his stuff, or his ability to get outs.   This was also true of Marsh when he signed and was found to have a similar issue and yet nobody talks about it anymore.

Lastly -- Sandoval hasn't done it yet, but he's quietly done some peripheral stuff that makes one believe he's a solid candidate for breakout.  He's one of like 8 pitchers in all of MLB to have elite level K percentages with two pitches.  He's not someone you can consider a sure thing or view as a core piece but he's a world better than he's shown early on.

I get being upset if they arent at all in on Bauer -- it sucks..   But they really, really need a safe type acquisition. Someone that can be counted on to go at least 5 innings, not because he's a workhorse but because he would get knocked out of games after two innings